Lost my get up and go!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Sailboat13

Lost my get up and go!

Post by Sailboat13 »

Had them clean my carb a week ago because of old gas. Road my scoot maybe fifty miles today no problem. Just went for a short ride to get some gas and discovered I have almost no power off the line. Once up to speed it runs fine but VERY slow now from the start. Could something have got the carb messed up again. Runs great once it gets going but I have to wait until there is no cars before even thinking about pulling out on the road. Crap. I have a Buddy 150. Costed me $152.00 to have the carb cleaned last week.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I'd say, "Take it back." They didn't do or finish the job.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

I read on here somewhere that if you overfill the gas tank it will make a scooter sluggish , I will see if I can find that info. Is it possible you overfilled it a little?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

luckyscroller788 wrote:I read on here somewhere that if you overfill the gas tank it will make a scooter sluggish , I will see if I can find that info. Is it possible you overfilled it a little?
You are referring to getting gas in the evap system and interfering with tank venting. That does not match with the OPs description of lost power off the line, but full power at speed. (in any event, tank venting problems are easy to diagnose - loosen the fuel cap and the problem goes away)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I think the OP needs to (carefully) return the bike to the shop and (politely) ask them to check it out. They may have made a mistake, but, OTOH, something else could have gone seriously wrong in the CVT, say, to cause that symptom. Either way, I hope they can sort it out quickly. Let us know what happens, pls. Thanks!
Sailboat13

good old Versa haul

Post by Sailboat13 »

I will be hauling it back to the shop tomorrow. By the way, what is a CVT?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Continuously Variable Transmission. The system that most scooters use instead of shifting gears, using centrifugal force and rollers to vary the gear ratio between engine and wheel.
Sailboat13

Turned out to be a gasket

Post by Sailboat13 »

Guy had it fixed before I even left. I guess a gasket had slipped or something and he removed it and redid the fix with some glue or something. Not sure what had happened, just happy as heck to have my old Buddy run like a scared rabbit again. Of course, there wasn't any charge. :lol:
az_slynch

Re: Turned out to be a gasket

Post by az_slynch »

Sailboat13 wrote:Guy had it fixed before I even left. I guess a gasket had slipped or something and he removed it and redid the fix with some glue or something.
Betting the issue was described in the following post:

topic27908.html
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Turned out to be a gasket

Post by jrsjr »

az_slynch wrote:
Sailboat13 wrote:Guy had it fixed before I even left. I guess a gasket had slipped or something and he removed it and redid the fix with some glue or something.
Betting the issue was described in the following post:

topic27908.html
Thanks for finding that. I looked around and didn't see it for some reason. I bet you're right, too.
Sailboat13

think your right.

Post by Sailboat13 »

You are right,,,he said something about the diaphragm being misaligned.
Driller

Been there...

Post by Driller »

We had the same problem when putting the carb back together on the "BlowFly". Took several tries to get it back in place and sealed. Once done...Zoom, Zoom again!
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."