starting from car battery

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kyrastar

starting from car battery

Post by Kyrastar »

Buddy 50...it is trying to start. I know about starting from your car NOT RUNNING. Is this like a one time fix? Or just a bandaid?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

It depends. If the ignition was just left on and drained the battery it will probably come back. If the battery is shot istis a "get me home" solution.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

Also, any time you're jump-starting a vehicle, you need to give the battery a thorough re-charging, either by plugging it in or by going for a long ride. This goes double for a scoot with an engine that produces as little electrical power as the Buddy 50. A jump followed by a 5-minute ride home will probably leave you in need of another jump.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Curiously, why jumping using a car battery? Is the kickstart broken? (Does it not have a kickstart at all, like the 170?).

Once you get it started, go on a nice, long ride to charge the battery up. That should tell you if you have (1) a battery problem or (2) a charging system problem.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Its ok to do, but getting the battery checked out is recommended if it continues to fail. My Buddy 125 had a dead battery for about 3 months before I finally replaced it, I just used the good ol' kickstarter. I don't know if the Buddy 50 does it, but a Zuma 2t 50 will not start with the button in the winter, you just kick it over till it gets warmer. Now that the Zuma has a bbk I totally removed the electric start all together. If the scoot does not get ridden very often or far you may need a battery tending device, I've used the Yuasa HotShot with good results. Stay away from the SEARS and Harbor Freight tenders, they will overcharge your tiny scooter battery.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Yalzin wrote:Curiously, why jumping using a car battery? Is the kickstart broken? (Does it not have a kickstart at all, like the 170?).
As he said: it's a Buddy 50. Kickstarting those is (in my experience) more difficult than kicking a 125.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Just sold my old Buddy 50 two days ago. My experience was that it had to be kick-started in the cold, sometimes giving it some throttle as I was kicking it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Yeah, the only way I ever successfully kicked my 50 was with the throttle held open.
Kyrastar

Buddy 50

Post by Kyrastar »

My husband broke the kick start. It try so haRd to start.