How long sitting around before you need trickle charging?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

snoozy

How long sitting around before you need trickle charging?

Post by snoozy »

So I'm riding less now, thanks to the season. How long can a Buddy sit before it needs a trickle charger?
TVB

Post by TVB »

I don't hook mine up until I know it's "down" for the winter.* If it's just facing a week of lousy whether (like here now in Michigan), the battery can handle that without problem. If that week turns into two weeks, and it looks like it might only get one or two short rides when the weather breaks .. that's when I figure it's going to need an assist.

* Despite Michigan being somewhat famous for harsh winters, I've usually found a day or two each month when the roads are clear enough for a short because-I-can ride. Not enough to keep the battery charged... but a good excuse for keeping it charged. :)
evPocket

Post by evPocket »

So I'm planning on buying a Buddy this evening that has presumably been sitting for a while. Sounds like the owner got it new and just never used it. Looks fine but is a little dusty.
So, it comes with a battery charger. Can someone enlighten me on what happens when the bike sits? Does it just run out of charge and need a jump? You said you won't charge it if it hasn't been sitting too long, is that just because it's not necessary or can damage be done by unnecessarily using a battery charger?
I don't know much, but intend on learning and doing all my own maintenance on the scooter. I know those questions might sound a little dumb, but I feel better double checking and sounding dumb to messing something up.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

evPocket wrote:So I'm planning on buying a Buddy this evening that has presumably been sitting for a while. Sounds like the owner got it new and just never used it. Looks fine but is a little dusty.
So, it comes with a battery charger. Can someone enlighten me on what happens when the bike sits? Does it just run out of charge and need a jump? You said you won't charge it if it hasn't been sitting too long, is that just because it's not necessary or can damage be done by unnecessarily using a battery charger?
I don't know much, but intend on learning and doing all my own maintenance on the scooter. I know those questions might sound a little dumb, but I feel better double checking and sounding dumb to messing something up.
If your current battery has any "oomph" left in it, it will recharge on a battery tender. I bought one like that a few months ago and it has held a charge though the scoot was only ridden once this year before I bought it.

Once you hook up the battery tender (I use the "Jr" version) it will maintain a charge on the battery. It won't "over charge" it and can't hurt it.

If I am off the scoot 2 weeks it is hooked up. I don't have a kick start and I don't want to have to deal with a dead battery.

A "pig tail" lead wire comes in the box with the Tender Jr. Just attach it to your battery permanently and you can run the attachment end out through the little vertical panel on your floorboard on a Buddy.

My pigtail comes out the "snout" on my Elite, but whatever works! lol

:P
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
TVB

Post by TVB »

evPocket wrote:So, it comes with a battery charger. Can someone enlighten me on what happens when the bike sits? Does it just run out of charge and need a jump? You said you won't charge it if it hasn't been sitting too long, is that just because it's not necessary or can damage be done by unnecessarily using a battery charger?
I don't do it unless I need to, simply because it's a hassle. A good charger like the Battery Tender Junior won't harm your battery. At worst it just won't do any good, if the battery is worn out or has sat too long without being charged. In that event, you just need to replace the battery.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Be sure this "battery charger" is the battery tender type for small powersport batteries that charges at low amperage and shuts off automatically. That type will not harm your battery no matter how long or how often you hook it up. As far as how often the battery needs to be connected to a tender during storage - that is a function of the condition of the battery. In my experience a relatively strong battery will hold a good charge for at least a couple of months without help from a tender.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Dooglas wrote:Be sure this "battery charger" is the battery tender type for small powersport batteries that charges at low amperage and shuts off automatically. That type will not harm your battery no matter how long or how often you hook it up. As far as how often the battery needs to be connected to a tender during storage - that is a function of the condition of the battery. In my experience a relatively strong battery will hold a good charge for at least a couple of months without help from a tender.
^This. Just slapping a charger on your battery and leaving it is a bad, potentially damaging, thing to do. Battery tenders are a different story and can be left attached (I don't live where Winter visits, so i don't have any personal experience).
The majority is always sane - Nessus
evPocket

Post by evPocket »

Yes, battery tender that they got with the buddy, thanks guys.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I plug my Buddy into the BTJr after every ride. No, it's not absolutely necessary, but there are a couple of factors - I have a Gorilla alarm that draws some current and will exhaust a battery in a couple of weeks, and I'm riding the Buddy less than the other scoot these days, so the Buddy doesn't get a charge-by-riding very often.

Using the optional socket plug with the BTJr, jacked into the Buddy's 12v socket, makes hookup as easy as it can be, so that I'm actually inclined to do it. I've also got to rig up another BTJr for the Vespa this winter, but I'll have to use the pigtail approach as it has no 12v socket.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!