Hi Everyone! Total Beginner Here!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

New or Used?

New
24%
Used
76%

Total votes: 21

wlewis612

Hi Everyone! Total Beginner Here!!

Post by wlewis612 »

I'm William, and I am in the process of buying my first scooter. I have done a lot of looking around and I really like the Buddy 125's. I have been saving up to buy a new one, never used, and then I ran across a 2009 with ~600 miles on it. It was used lightly for two years on a college campus and spent the last 2 years in a garage.

I've been informed that is runs well, the battery was just replaced. In 2009 it had it's "300 mile" servicing (I thought that was 600 miles?). Starts everytime. Never crashed. Dropped once and a small chip on exterior paint, chip in rubber on handlebar, and also the front brake lever had to be replaced.

Is this worth buying? My biggest concern is there is no warranty as it's more than 2 years old. The seller seems honest, not out to make a buck. Pricing at about $2,000 including a rear storage bin, 2 helmets, weatherproof cover. Out the door it would be about $3,700 for a brand new one locally.

Any questions I should be asking the seller, or advice on how you would go in this situation would be most helpful. Either way I hope to be scooting around sooner than later! Thank you very much.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Get him at $1200 and you are golden. He wants too much.

Edit-Why in the hell would you want a used helmet?
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

KrispyKreme wrote:Get him at $1200 and you are golden. He wants too much.

Be nice. He's a beginner. Re. the price, if the scoot is as advertised, I'd say $1500 would be a good compromise and let the seller keep the helmet.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia :)
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

skipper20 wrote:

Be nice. He's a beginner. Re. the price, if the scoot is as advertised, I'd say $1500 would be a good compromise and let the seller keep the helmet.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack

I was being nice.
DeeDee

What part of the country are you in?

Post by DeeDee »

Here in Denver, an awesome 125 can be had for $900 to $1200. Wait until Thanksgiving, and the price drops more. Same scooters sell for $1600 + after Memorial day. Buddy is a great machine. Start it up, look for smoke, ask about maintenance and buy away. Only thing I ever buy new is underwear.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

skipper20 wrote:

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
I'd say $1200 and walk Fair price no matter what. We have a new cat who wants to buy. $1200 should do it and why not? Walk......on a cool walk....get lunch...say hello to good people.......

$1200 is a good price.
TVB

Post by TVB »

KrispyKreme wrote:I was being nice.
You're not as good at that as you think. Try something more like:

Of course it makes sense for the seller to get rid of his helmet with the bike; what's he going to use it for? But you're better off getting a new one. While I think the helmet manufacturers' recommendations to replace any helmet a few years old or which has been dropped, is motivated more by a desire to sell new helmets, avoid any liability exposure, and sell new helmets, than it is by legitimate safety concerns, the fact remains that you don't know the history of any used helmet: how old it is, how it's been treated, what it's been through. Combined with the fact that it might not fit properly, and that choosing te right kind/style of helmet is kind of a personal thing, you're better off taking a "free" helmet and just using it as long as it takes to get a new one.
Last edited by TVB on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Being your first, I would say buy used. In fact, buy used whenever possible.

A warranty is great, but generally in good shape these don't need them at all. Depending on where you live, as it gets cooler there are frequently deals from 1k-1500 all the time, and the occasionaly $900 MUST SELL type of thing.

If it's used the sticker shock is less, and not as painful the first time you do something silly like a minor drop or whatever.

Good luck, remember you don't have to buy the first one you see (I'm a sucker/impulse buyer..)
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

2k is a bit much. For example, my GF bought a 2009 125 Buddy off the show room floor at a powersports dealer for $2,100 OTD in 2012. Apparently it wasn't going to sell and they ended up putting it on ebay, she called and offered cash and they took it. She walked away with a new Buddy including the 2y warranty.

A few other things to consider as time goes by.
That brake fluid for the front disc is going to be bad and need replacing.
Check the tires for dry rot, if it's been sitting it's pretty likely.
You shouldn't be interested in the new helmets as TVB said. And they shouldn't be included in the price.
The rear rack shouldn't add more than $50 or so to a used scooters price.
You can buy a cover for around $20, so don't let that affect the price.

As other stated, i'd say $1,500 would be a good price, if the tires are bad and need replacing, i'd go $1,200.
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

$1500 is a fair price if everything is as it appears.

Don't even consider a new one, makes no sense given your reported situation (I read "first timer on a budget").

I can't stand the smell of ANY of MY OWN 5 helmets. I could not imagine putting somebody else's gross, snotty lid on my head. Take the helmet, give it away to someone you intensely dislike.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Buddy 125 is a good scooter for a new rider and buying used saves you significant money. Sounds like the seller would like $2K and most of the buyers above would like to pay $1K :wink: . I think that puts you somewhere around $1.5K so long as everything is right.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Ditch the helmets and get something new that fits you perfectly. Three reasons for this:

1. There's no guarantee that the helmets will fit you properly.

2. Since you'd be getting them for "free", the temptation to convince
yourself that they do indeed fit will be very strong.

3. One or both of them might have been worn by a girl, and girls have
cooties. :D
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I'd recommend going used for a few reasons:

1) If the bike gets knocked over or if you happen to spill while you are learning to ride, it's easier on the psyche if it's a used bike than a new bike. Get confident in your riding, hone your skills and then get a new bike.

2) It's possible that you may decide that a Buddy isn't the right scooter for you. Should that happen, your investment is smaller and you're not eating depreciation on a trying to sell a "new" scooter with minimal mileage. The money you save can be applied toward the purchase of a different machine.

3) It's possible that after riding for a bit that scooting really isn't your thing. Again, the depreciation angle comes into play. Minimize your initial investment and see if the scootering lifestyle really is your thing before really splashing out on a new machine.

As for pricing, others have made the case. Collect any information you can to support the price you want to pay (blue book values, insurance values, advertisements for local vehicles for sale) and be prepared to negotiate. Sure, the asking price is nearly half-off of new and the mileage is low. However, it's a five year-old machine and it may need tires and other consumables replaced. If you really want that particular machine, decide what you want to pay and negotiate for that price.

As for cooties...eh, I got nothin'. :wink:
Last edited by az_slynch on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

Even as someone who bought new, I would probably buy used as well. I have no idea how I knew this was the right scooter for me, but I did so I bought new.

If you have any doubts or questions in your mind about it, then I would definitely buy new. You can also ride it around and resell if you think you want something different.

Why didn't I do it? I didn't really see used items that appealed, but it makes more sense to buy used if you can.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

az_slynch wrote:As for cooties...eh, I got nothin'. :wink:
Hey, finally something I can help with!

Circle Circle Dot Dot Now You Got Your Cootie Shot!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jrsjr wrote:
az_slynch wrote:As for cooties...eh, I got nothin'. :wink:
Hey, finally something I can help with!

Circle Circle Dot Dot Now You Got Your Cootie Shot!
Sometimes, knowledge is power. Sometimes, not so much. ;)
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

I was told by a Genuine dealer that he had never had any scooters come back for warranty work. I said, "That's fantastic!" I thought, "Then why should I buy new??" Even if I could afford it, which I couldn't. I searched and searched on craigslist and found one at a great price, in near mint condition. Mint colour, too...

Don't be in a hurry. Check nearby CLs, not just your own city. Mine was in another state, actually, but the savings and condition were worth the drive.
wlewis612

Post by wlewis612 »

Wow, thank you so much for all the replies everybody.

After seeing the prices everyone put down here, I was sort of shocked, because no scooter around here goes for those prices. I live in San Francisco, and I have a) never seen a used buddy scooter with such low mileage and b) never seen one going for less than $1,800-$2,000, and those are with 5K+ miles up to over 10K.

I called the SF scooter centre, the only authorized genuine dealer in the city. When I told the guy about the scooter, he told me I would be crazy not to buy this one. I even told him I planned on buying a new one from him at his shop but he said that would be foolish. When I originally went in there speaking to someone else a few months ago, the guy told me if I found one here with less than 1,000 miles in good condition to get it.

I am thinking the higher price here is just indicative of the area, one of the most expensive in the country.

I totally understand the helmet thing now too. When I said total beginner, I meant it!

I am going to personally check out the scooter tomorrow just to have a look.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Yeah Cali (both southern and northern) are pretty expensive places to live. I still say haggle with the seller. You never know if you could get a deal if you don't ask....especially in SF.....
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

snoozy wrote:I was told by a Genuine dealer that he had never had any scooters come back for warranty work
They were either:
1. Lying
2. Not really a Genuine dealer
3. Drunk
4. Became a dealer in the last week.
wlewis612

Post by wlewis612 »

The scooter is in excellent condition. I bought it outright for $2,000 including transportation of the scooter from Marin county to San Francisco. It was a no brainer for only having 610 miles, only used for one year by the woman at UC Berkeley. She dropped it once and had to replace a break lever. The tiniest chip in rubber on side of handlebar and a couple tiny scratches I just forgot about until now. Have not once even noticed it looking at the scooter, applying/taking off the cover, etc. It rides like a dream. I never rode a scooter before I just started it up and away I went. A city as great as San Francisco just got even better! I would like to thank all of you for your input, it means a lot. I learned A LOT during this process! I am looking forward to many happy miles and I know that this community is here for every step of the way. I hope to learn a lot more!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

wlewis612 wrote:The scooter is in excellent condition. I bought it outright for $2,000 including transportation of the scooter from Marin county to San Francisco. It was a no brainer for only having 610 miles, only used for one year by the woman at UC Berkeley. She dropped it once and had to replace a break lever. The tiniest chip in rubber on side of handlebar and a couple tiny scratches I just forgot about until now. Have not once even noticed it looking at the scooter, applying/taking off the cover, etc. It rides like a dream. I never rode a scooter before I just started it up and away I went. A city as great as San Francisco just got even better! I would like to thank all of you for your input, it means a lot. I learned A LOT during this process! I am looking forward to many happy miles and I know that this community is here for every step of the way. I hope to learn a lot more!
Congratulations on being a scooter owner. I guess you've already gotten the course from the folks above about the helmet thing. Another thing we highly recommend is rider training. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation course(s) are pretty much the only way to go. They can teach you a lot of stuff in a hurry that you don't want to learn by mistake.

Again, congratulations!
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

+1 On the tires. At 6-7 years old with low miles the tread might look good, but rubber ages. Do some homework on the age of tires. Much on the Internet. If it been sitting in the garage for two years with gas in the carb, that could be an issue. These are all manageable issues. You just want to price any repairs into your offer.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I don't think the last 2 posters realized this thread is over a year old. It's a necro.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

k1dude wrote:I don't think the last 2 posters realized this thread is over a year old. It's a necro.
If you look at the quote in Yemsral's post the word underwear is a link to some trash website. The post has been reported a few times.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Spammer! On the case!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…