Introduction, Shifting/Clutch Questions

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jkblaq

Introduction, Shifting/Clutch Questions

Post by jkblaq »

Hello,
I just purchased a used 2012 Stella 4T in Columbus, OH. I am new to the Manual scooters, I previously had a 2006 Yamaha Vino 125. I grew up around Vespa's I think my Uncle has had or worked on just about every vintage model.

So I bought a Stella to rekindle that nostalgia and have fun doing it. Anyway I did a bunch of searches on the forum but had a couple questions.

[strike]1. If I am at a dead stop, engine off should I be able to shift through the gears with the clutch in (like a car)?

2. When I come to an abrupt stop from say 3rd and did not downshift. It is nearly impossible to get it into 1st quickly. I have to rock and twist to get it free. Is this normal?[/strike]

EDIT: Just found this topic22895.html now it makes sense!

3. The clutch adjuster nut is slightly smashed so that the metal on the end of the outside of the cable does not rest inside the adjuster nut, clutch inner moves smoothly but does not seem ideal. While I know will need fixed. Does this need fixed NOW or just when I get to it.

Thanks in advance for any help, I look forward to hanging out in this forum.

-Jason
Last edited by jkblaq on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jkblaq

Post by jkblaq »

Oh, one other question. One of the mirror bolt holes are striped. Is the best course of action helicoil or thread insert?

Thanks,
Jason
stASH

Post by stASH »

jkblaq wrote:One of the mirror bolt holes are striped. Is the best course of action helicoil or thread insert?
I had the same problem and was able to resolve it by replacing the bolt with a slightly longer one.
misterbrackets

Re: Introduction, Shifting/Clutch Questions

Post by misterbrackets »

jkblaq wrote:Hello,
I just purchased a used 2012 Stella 4T in Columbus, OH. I am new to the Manual scooters, I previously had a 2006 Yamaha Vino 125. I grew up around Vespa's I think my Uncle has had or worked on just about every vintage model.

So I bought a Stella to rekindle that nostalgia and have fun doing it. Anyway I did a bunch of searches on the forum but had a couple questions.

[strike]1. If I am at a dead stop, engine off should I be able to shift through the gears with the clutch in (like a car)?
No, you shouldn't be able to shift through the gears with the engine off.

2. When I come to an abrupt stop from say 3rd and did not downshift. It is nearly impossible to get it into 1st quickly. I have to rock and twist to get it free. Is this normal?[/strike]
This is normal. I did this often when I first got mine. Just get in the habit of downshifting as you slow down.

EDIT: Just found this topic22895.html now it makes sense!

3. The clutch adjuster nut is slightly smashed so that the metal on the end of the outside of the cable does not rest inside the adjuster nut, clutch inner moves smoothly but does not seem ideal. While I know will need fixed. Does this need fixed NOW or just when I get to it.
Unless this causes the inner cable to rub against something, I don't think you'll hurt anything riding it like this. Mine was in a similar situation for about 4000 miles until I got around to fixing it when I replaced the outer cable. I also replaced the adjusting bolt as part of it was broken off and lodged in the hole for the cable to go through.

Thanks in advance for any help, I look forward to hanging out in this forum.

-Jason
jkblaq

Post by jkblaq »

Sweet, thanks stASH and misterbrackets for the quick reply's that really helps.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

No problem! Have fun riding this summer!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Jkblaq,

If you come to a stop in the wrong gear and the shifter seems stuck, release the clutch lever a little bit and try shifting again. By slipping the clutch oh-so slightly, you can usually slot it down into the next gear. It take a bit of finesse on the clutch lever to pull it off, though.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jkblaq

Post by jkblaq »

Thanks az_slynch, I will remember that.

Now I am focusing on making sure I downshift as a habit, but that will help for the emergencies. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Also, was trying to adjust the cable and it finally snapped into place in the bent adjuster nut. However, this is not good since the clutch is now way too loose. There is only about 1-2 inches of cable sticking out so I will have to be careful to loosen the end clamp and just pull out the slack or just replace the whole thing :D

I replaced the spark plug and cleaned the carb jets. Man someone used the CR7EH9 plug and it was causing it to stall at almost every stop, replaced with CR9E and all is well.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

You can also rock the scooter back and forth, works for shifting into 1st, or I found for shifting out of 4th at a stop, rotating the shifter back and forth works. Letting the clutch out a little works well for shifting out of 3rd, 2nd usually shifts into N no problem.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

As for the mirror, you can drill the hole out just oversize, and put a bolt on the mirror stem above and below the bracket.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

IMHO, I would helicoil it. If you drill out and tap for larger, what happens if that strips? Helicoils very rarely strip, except on high torque bolts. For those use a Timecert or other heavy duty thread insert. Plus you can use the original bolt and don't have to worry about one bolt being a different size.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

For those use a Timecert
+1