First Stella 4T - Not Impressed

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sikken

First Stella 4T - Not Impressed

Post by sikken »

Hey guys. I bought my first Stella 4T about a month ago and have so far I haven't been impressed. I don't have anyone to compare with so I don't know if these things are normal.

So far the scooter has 100 miles on it. My gas mileage is pretty terrible. I think I am maybe getting 40-50 mpg. My max speed seems to be about 45mph and I weigh 140lbs. I live in Utah so the altitude may be a factor, it's about 4500ft.

Is this normal operation for the Stella?
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

Have had my 4T almost 2 years and she's my daily committing vehicle. Typical max speed is about 60 indicated on the speedometer, however on a downgrade with a slight tailwind she has read at the 70 mark.
I average about 90-100 mpg not scientific but I usually fill up about every 70 miles or so and put about the 3/4 gallons each time.

Take her through all the gears to the top end and break her in nice and she'll take care of you.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Have you checked your tire pressure? Odd as it may seem, tire pressure can really affect your mileage. I am at 550 miles on my 4T, and am still getting 80-10 mpg.

100 miles is really not enough to measure the performance of the scooter. But if it persists, I would contact the dealer.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

read this..
topic26577.html
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
quen047

Post by quen047 »

I get a consistent 90-95 MPG at sea level in SF after 5000 miles— not bad considering all the hills and traffic. I doubt altitude would affect it THAT much. I wonder if your dealer didn't prep it correctly before selling it to you. Stellas are sensitive that way.
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

My 2012 Stella 4T went 60 MPH right out of the box, and I weigh 260 pounds.. The mileage certainly wasn't the 135 MPG as advertised, but it wasn't too bad.
Steady Teddy

Post by Steady Teddy »

So yeah... after reading all of the great numbers these guys are reporting, it might be a good time to take it elsewhere for service, as yours sounds just plain old messed up! Report back what they find.

Wickford
Anachronism

Re: First Stella 4T - Not Impressed

Post by Anachronism »

sikken wrote:Hey guys. I bought my first Stella 4T about a month ago and have so far I haven't been impressed. I don't have anyone to compare with so I don't know if these things are normal.

So far the scooter has 100 miles on it. My gas mileage is pretty terrible. I think I am maybe getting 40-50 mpg. My max speed seems to be about 45mph and I weigh 140lbs. I live in Utah so the altitude may be a factor, it's about 4500ft.

Is this normal operation for the Stella?
45 mph at altitude sounds about right. You are giving up about 30% of your power at a mile high because of the reduced air pressure=reduced compression=reduced power.

I live at 7500 feet. My 2t with a 177 Pinasco kit and Sito plus can do 60 indicated on the flats.

Along the same lines, sea level jetting will be too rich, which will hurt power and fuel economy even further.

My guess is that you have a carburetor that is calibrated too rich. Buy some spark plugs, check your jetting, jet down. Save the jets you pull out just in case you ever move the bike down to sea level.
Valves are for wussies.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Along the same lines, sea level jetting will be too rich, which will hurt power and fuel economy even further.

My guess is that you have a carburetor that is calibrated too rich. Buy some spark plugs, check your jetting, jet down. Save the jets you pull out just in case you ever move the bike down to sea level.
+1 ....... no doubt they are jetted for a lower altitude.

Take care - lean it in small steps while keeping a watch on things so you don't burn it up. Or take it to a different shop and ask them about their experiences with jetting other 4 stroke scoots in your area.
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

slotrod65 wrote:Have you checked your tire pressure? Odd as it may seem, tire pressure can really affect your mileage. I am at 550 miles on my 4T, and am still getting 80-10 mpg.

100 miles is really not enough to measure the performance of the scooter. But if it persists, I would contact the dealer.
Book says 17/25 psi for tires. That seems very low.