Correct Gearbox Oil

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

engmex

Correct Gearbox Oil

Post by engmex »

Hi I'm a bit confused about what oil to put in the gearbox. I live in Mexico and I've just purchased an LML Star 150cc two stroke, which as far as I know, is exactly same as the Stella 150cc two stroke. According to my manual it clearly states that the gearbox oil should be two stroke engine oil, exactly the same stuff that goes in the 2 stroke tank. I downloaded the Stella manual and it says on page 28 SAE 30 engine oil, but on page 32 it states "Next put 8.5 oz (250ml) of new 2T motor oil in gear box up to level of filling hole." On this and other forums most say to use SAE 30 engine oll, and finally the Vespa PX 150 user manual, which seems to be the same machine lists SAE 75/80 as the correct oil. So which is it?
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

I'd suspect there is a translation or some other issue and unless there's consensus evidence to do otherwise, I'd use SAE30. I'd also give LML a heads up that a correction is needed..... http://www.lmlscooters.co.uk/
engmex

Post by engmex »

Okay thanks well I've a sent an email direct to LML in India as the manual is printed there, let's see if I get a reply.
engmex

Post by engmex »

Just got a reply from LML in India:

Dear Sirs

We have for reference to your mail dated 12th April 2014 in connection with your LML Star Deluxe 150 cc Scooter .

Please note ,the recommended Gear Box oil & Petrol oil mixture for aforesaid scooter is 2-T Motor oil .

In case of any further assistance please feel free to contact us .

Kind regards

Ram Pravesh Singh
Customer Care- Export
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Back in the "good old days" regular SAE 30 motor oil often was used as gasoline additive for 2T engines lacking anything else. The advantage of modern 2T oil is that it burns cleaner and is lighter weight for use in oil injection systems. Perhaps in much of India, motor oil and 2T oil are still used interchangeably. For the rest of us, some folks are using SAE 30 motor oil and most use SAE 30 gear oil (has some additional additives suitable for gearbox use) in air cooled 2T engines such as the LML-built Stellas and older Vespas. Modern Vespas typically use SAE 80/90 gear oil. In the PGO-built Buddys, SAE 140 gear oil or multigrade such as SAE 85/140 are the norm. If I were you and it is readily available, I would use the appropriate gear oil in the gear box (rear hub).
engmex

Post by engmex »

In the email they are not specific about which two stroke oil to use, but the manual lists Esso, Shell Super, Total, Chevron and Aral two stroke oil. I think I'll put 2 stroke oil in mine it's easier to obtain than SAE 30 oil here in Mexico, and I don't see how the manufacturer can be wrong. As I understand it the gearbox oil also lubricates the clutch side main bearing on these models so it makes sense.
engmex

Post by engmex »

I might add I just found this:
http://www.wasp-performance.co.uk/onlin ... x-Oil.html
Which makes a couple of interesting points. Firstly originally Piaggio too recommended two stroke oil in the gearbox, but later changed to 80w gearbox oil, and secondly it turns out SAE 30 engine oil and 80w gearbox oil have the same viscosity.
Last edited by engmex on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie B

Post by Willie B »

I have used Hondaline transoil and Motul's transoil over the years and have had excellent results or no failures, however you figure it?
Attachments
74300-1L.png
74300-1L.png (61.59 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
2362877-1-l.jpg
2362877-1-l.jpg (18.19 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

Willie B wrote:I have used Hondaline transoil and Motul's transoil over the years and have had excellent results or no failures, however you figure it?
The benefit of the gear oil is the extreme pressure concentrate added to protect gear teeth and cruciforms. The clutch does not seem to mind either
and the L/H main is a ball bearing that loves any oil.
Downside is in the morning in cold weather climates it gets a little hard to shift until the gear oil warms up a little.
I would think the 2T oil which is made to mix with the fuel/ air jet stream quickly isn't going to protect transmissions as well as 30wt or 75/80/90 gear oils.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

The benefit of the gear oil is the extreme pressure concentrate added to protect gear teeth and cruciforms. The clutch does not seem to mind either
and the L/H main is a ball bearing that loves any oil.
Downside is in the morning in cold weather climates it gets a little hard to shift until the gear oil warms up a little.
I would think the 2T oil which is made to mix with the fuel/ air jet stream quickly isn't going to protect transmissions as well as 30wt or 75/80/90 gear oils.
+1 on that .... (Hi Frank, are you trying the Cannonball run with a Stella in June?)
Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

+1 on that .... (Hi Frank, are you trying the Cannonball run with a Stella in June?)[/quote]

Yes sir, number 17 is almost ready to make a second run at the SCR.
Lots of elevation changes, some gravel roads, glaciers, the Icefields Parkway.
This is going to be a gorgeous ride.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Ahh, yes I see you on the roster !!!!

http://www.scootercannonball.com/

Sheez, 3500 miles from Alaska to New Orleans ... Best of luck & ride safe !