[NSR] Winter-worthy motorcycle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

TVB wrote:Another factor is that under current laws in most states, you'd need a motorcycle endorsement to drive this, and a lot of them would require wearing a helmet.
Yes, but the cool thing is that you can take your test in this thing, so that should help lower the barriers to ownership. I see a lot of those CanAm 3-wheelers rolling down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I wondered at first (as did some others) whether this was a "real" business. I am well aware that the history of motorcycle startups is littered with companies that failed because of financial mistakes made during the startup process, in some cases because of incompetence and occasionally because of malfeasance. However, this enterprise continues to at least[url=http://green.autoblog.com/2014/01/03/el ... trike-ces/ present the appearance of moving towards production[/url]. I sincerely hope that is the case. There's nothing I'd like better than to see another new made-in-American vehicle, especially one that sells for under $7000. :wink:
Last edited by jrsjr on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Their estimated delivery date has slipped by about half a year, which indicates that something isn't going as planned. And it means that I'm not going to be buying one, because I'm pretty sure I'll need a new winter vehicle by the end of this year. But it's good to see that they haven't given up.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

If you are referring to the Elio the last that I had heard was that they could not meet the contact obligations on the factory in LA.. If this is so then they have no where to produce it. It is a great design, but there are others of comparable design floating around. I would like to see them make it but I
think the chances are slim to none. :(
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Wolfhound wrote:If you are referring to the Elio the last that I had heard was that they could not meet the contact obligations on the factory in LA.. If this is so then they have no where to produce it. It is a great design, but there are others of comparable design floating around. I would like to see them make it but I
think the chances are slim to none. :(
If the Lousiana plant is the problem, it's not as if there are no other suitable former automotive manufacturing facilities in North America.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

True but I suspect the biggest road block for Elio is finances. If a good
investor can be found they could make it but is a basically depressed
economy finding one would be difficult. :sigh:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

To illustrate another simular ride research the Snyder 3 Wheel Car being advertised on saferwholesale.com. They offer a two seater 'car' and a pickup truck design. Price is $7469.00 2 cyl. engine 600 cc, 70 mph, 76 mpg. Made
in China. I would not touch one with a 10 foot pole but evidently they are selling them.
Just another example of the Elio style vehicles that are already out there. There is nothing new about the basic design and there are others who have
produced them. Maybe not as powerful or nice as the Elio but they are out there.
IF Elio can bring theirs to the market place I think it would sell and would probably be a good vehicle. Only time will tell.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Then there is the "Land Glider."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CAnq5DyNG0

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

TVB wrote:If the Lousiana plant is the problem, it's not as if there are no other suitable former automotive manufacturing facilities in North America.
As Wolfhound observed, the problem is not finding the facility - it is paying for the facility. These start-ups are notoriously underfunded. Probably because people with money want fairly strong assurances before they part with it. :wink:
TVB

Post by TVB »

On the other hand, there are also state and local governments willing to give all sorts of special breaks and even bond deals to get companies to set up shop in their jurisdiction. So sometimes it's a question of finding one who wants it badly enough and propositioning them. I certainly don't have enough industry insider info to know what those prospects are like in this case ... and I suspect neither does anyone else in this discussion.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Howardr, very interesting video concerning concept cars but a little out of
date. The problem with concept cars/bikes is that for the most part they seem to remain concept vehicles.I think that the Auto Moto has not sold well in this country and may not even be available now. The Piaggio MP3 is no
longer imported to this country due to slow sales so I am told. I thought that both units had great promise but both had design defects. The AutoMoto had problems with its tilt mechanism and the MP3 required that the rider hit the
lock button in stopping to keep it upright and if he forgot the bike might fall over because he had forgotten. I really liked the MP3 and might consider buying one if the ever started importing them again. :(
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

This is a little off-topic, but I never considered having to hit the lock button on the MP3s to be a design defect. If you've ever ridden one, it is a distinctly unsettling feeling to be on one of those with the suspension locked, and rolling forward at a super low rate of speed (for example, when sitting in traffic on an incline and just rolling up a car-length). :shock:

Yes, you have to be ever vigilant when coming to a stop, or when at a stop so the bike doesn't fall over...just like any motorcycle really.

They are cool bikes...I just finally wanted something a little more lightweight, and with less moving parts (ie front suspension) that could sooner or later go wrong...though I never had any issues with mine. :)

They have very reliable, long lasting engines, so if you are interested in getting one, you might still check out a used one....both of mine were used.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

Well, it sounds like they are still pushing forward. Elio secured another $7 million in funding and has finalized the lease of the Shreveport factory.

I'm still hopeful that this can make it. Even at a higher price tag, I think it could be a viable player for commuters.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Walke2jd, that is indeed encouraging news. Securing the lease on the Shreveport property was, in my opinion, a necessary step in their program.
If they can produce the rig and sell it at the price they say they can, AND
if the first ones sold do not present the owners with a host of problems then
this rig can easily become a best seller and leave the other reverse trikes in
its dust. I hope that the Elio becomes a success. :clap: :clap: