D'oh! busted!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

D'oh! busted!

Post by skully93 »

So, we just moved offices into the downtown Denver area.

I thought, no problem, I'll take off my plate and park downtown! previously this hasn't been any kind of issue. This cuts my commute in half, and is a great way to get around (and the entire reason I bought a scoot).

However, there seems to be at least one Meter officer that can read.

I received a ticket for various offenses adding up to $100. oops!

I would be mad, but I've gotten away with it for 2 years.

There are some other places I hope to park, that are private and therefore not subject to the meter maid.

Shared because in some places we can 'bend' the rules, just be wary that you can be caught! Some friends have suggested that I buy an additional scooter just to park downtown ,but I don't see that as feasible. We have 4 bikes for 2 drivers. I also get a free bus pass, so worst case I just don't scoot to work, which would make me sad.
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

Did they catch you because your scoot has the "125" decals on it?

Would you consider just removing those decals so that its displacement would not be so obvious to the Maids? If the decals were gone, they would have to bend down and look at your spec plate, which is unlikely.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Eh, same thing happened to me and some colleagues and we did the same thing. Found a nearby business that lets scoots park in an out-of-the-way corner.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

In Texas it doesn't matter if it is classified as a moped (legal definition of motorized bike that goes under 30 mph and has no more than 50cc, etc) or a motorcycle in terms of registration. You pay the same and must have a license plate. Only difference is you don't need a motorcycle endorsement and the word moped appears on the license plate. So if you are riding in Texas with no license plate, it better be a bicycle or an e-bike. Ebikes is where you can cheat cause they have no idea the speed or size, unless of course you are caught speeding, then you would get a speeding ticket, but there is no license plate or registration needed on legal e-bike defined as no faster than 25 mph, with no more than 36 volts and 750 watts. People into e-bikes set up bikes that are considerably bigger and faster than that and don't run into problems.
skipper20

Re: D'oh! busted!

Post by skipper20 »

skully93 wrote:So, we just moved offices into the downtown Denver area.

I thought, no problem, I'll take off my plate and park downtown! previously this hasn't been any kind of issue. This cuts my commute in half, and is a great way to get around (and the entire reason I bought a scoot).

However, there seems to be at least one Meter officer that can read.

I received a ticket for various offenses adding up to $100. oops!

I would be mad, but I've gotten away with it for 2 years.

There are some other places I hope to park, that are private and therefore not subject to the meter maid.

Shared because in some places we can 'bend' the rules, just be wary that you can be caught! Some friends have suggested that I buy an additional scooter just to park downtown ,but I don't see that as feasible. We have 4 bikes for 2 drivers. I also get a free bus pass, so worst case I just don't scoot to work, which would make me sad.
What were the "various" offenses. Obviously, parking was one of them but what were the others? Just curious,

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Parking on the sidewalk: 25
No visible plate 75

The attached garage has a bike rack, so I'll try that.

I think they did notice the big 150 on front/each side :P.

If it's in the bike rack internally, I don't think they'll do anything unless the building complains, so we'll see.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Damn! Well, "do the crime…" as they say.

:(
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

once in a while, I wouldn't think much of putting it on a downtown sidewalk. Doing that on a consistent basis, you're bound to attract the wrong kind of attention. My suggestion is that you find a closeby underground garage that has an arm gate to enter and exit, usually you can fit right around those very easily. Other idea is talk to some of the parking attendants and work out a side deal like bringing them donuts or something once a week, as long as you're not taking up a full space. There are plenty of little hideaway spots in garages that aren't capable for cars but very capable for a scooter.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

We do have an attached garage that I can slip into. There's a bike rack there and one on the opposite side of the building that isn't public sidewalk.

Truthfully there have been a ton of us, even with maxi-scoots, that park on the sidewalk. If you park like a reasonable person, 99% of the time it just isn't a concern of theirs. I just happened to find the one spot where they do care!

for now I'm parking on the other side of the building. Since it's private property and not a sidewalk, chances are it will go unnoticed. If I get another there's a spot a block up that has parking in the garage. There's nothing to secure it to, hence my hesitation, but the person in the garage said out of 10 spots for 2 wheelers, there are only 2 motorcyclists and a scooter that show up regularly. Even then the MC folks tend not to ride year round, and that I was welcome to a free spot anytime.