How to: No more getting stuck at red lights!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rusty Shackleford

How to: No more getting stuck at red lights!

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

How to Trigger Green Traffic Lights

<iframe src="http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights" width="700" height="500" scrolling="vertical" seamless></iframe>
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

I just put my side stand on the loop and enjoy a sit..

I can put it up really fast so no issues..
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Every now and again I like to take a good sit, myself. :wink:
C'mon, sko sko sko!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Cool post. :)

I usually reach back with my heel and tap my center stand twice quickly (not that tapping it twice works any better than one tap :roll: ), but I might check into the battery bit anyhow.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Here in Kansas you can go through the RED if it's clear, and the light doesn't change after a short period....Never ever been pulled over for it, even before it was the law... Not to say you might not find a jerk cop that wants to give you a ticket..... My personal rule is, I sit through one cycle of lights...then if it doesn't change for me, I go when it's clear.... If it's one of those at late night I'll wait about a minute of no traffic and then go..... Some people swear by the magnets, and others say they don't work at all, so I don't know.....
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

SonnyD wrote:Here in Kansas you can go through the RED if it's clear, and the light doesn't change after a short period....Never ever been pulled over for it, even before it was the law... Not to say you might not find a jerk cop that wants to give you a ticket..... My personal rule is, I sit through one cycle of lights...then if it doesn't change for me, I go when it's clear.... If it's one of those at late night I'll wait about a minute of no traffic and then go..... Some people swear by the magnets, and others say they don't work at all, so I don't know.....
They just passed a similar law in VA. I just keep a copy of the law in my pet carrier just in case a cop wants to give me trouble over it.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

In Alabama there's always a pickup truck riding my ass so this is never a problem. But honestly I do try to stop on the cuts in the road, i've never had a problem with them changing with the exception one intersection with no visible cuts which I usually avoid.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Here in STL there are several intersections with sensors I can't trip. I haven't tried dropping the kickstand yet. The intersection that makes me the most nervous is the one coming out of my neighborhood onto a busy street at morning rush hour. This sensor loop doesn't have a second loop behind the first car position, so if I'm the one at the light, cars stack up behind me. I do my best to scuttle over to the side and wave a car up to the line when this happens.

I _do_ keep a copy of the similar state law in my pet carrier, too, for situations where I'm the only one at the intersection and I proceed after a skipped cycle.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This has been in our FAQ for two years! :)

viewtopic.php?p=247000#247000
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

wow. faq must be a popular read :shock:
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SonnyD wrote:Some people swear by the magnets, and others say they don't work at all, so I don't know.....
I give an explanation of the magnet thing in the link above. Basically, it has nothing to do with magnetism but everything to do with strapping a dense chunk of metal under your scoot, close to the ground.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

I read about these in the FAQ here about a month ago, and can testify that the strategy presented therein works. There is a light at the end of my street with a dual-loop config that I had figured out how to trigger in my van last year - I knew How, but not Why, if I stopped in a certain alignment, it triggers faster - and the FAQ here taught me what was making it happen (and as little as I drive it anymore, I am REALLY good at it in the van now lol). :) The technique works with the Buddy and the Wolf as well, at that light and others around town. Good stuff - thanks Eric! :)

The centerstand tap is something I will have to try now... :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

another thing that works is this often happens when its late or early and the streets are clear. believe it or not a little throttle will get you across the intersection even if the light is red!! :P

it is frustrating on those odd occasions when their just happens to be no one in the left hand turn lane besides myself and its a busy traffic day. again, going on a red arrow usually works

once it was an early Sunday 'morn though and two police happened to be standing outside their cars near the intersection, chatting. so i sat....and sat....and sat. through TWO stupid light changes. finally i yelled over and asked permission to go. they gave it, i went

been goin' ever since :D
Riding is riding
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

There's serious voodoo in this article.

"Press the starter button If you're on a motorcycle you can pull in the clutch, stop the engine, and press the engine starter button. The starter is powered by an electromagnetic motor, creating more magnetic energy and tripping the sensor."

"If you're still not detected, lean slightly towards the center."

Not one shred of evidence or scientific method. :x

The light in my neighborhood uses some new technology - no wires in the road. And, it's quite reliable.
bradsarno

Post by bradsarno »

An inductive loop is like a guitar pickup. If a magnet or ferrous material (iron, steel like a guitar string) disrupts or moves within that loop, that's what the thing is looking for, a disruption in the field induces current which is the trigger. Seems to me a starter, a magnet, or a kickstand, or a steel wheel rim, or a scooter frame, are all viable options when it comes to triggering the inductive loop antenna in the pavement. They are typically calibrated for quite a bit of metal, like a car 10" off the ground, but the closer you can get to the loop the better. I kind of like the kickstand idea. I do believe that motion is part of the equation. Not just being in the loop, but entering the loop or doing something with motion, disruptive to the otherwise stable inductive field.

I remember a garage in town that had one installed so the door would open when a car pulled up. When the mechanic wanted to open the door without a car, he had a metal plate on the ground, looked kind of like a license plate but was probably steel. He just dragged it across the sensor with his foot and the door would open for him.

I'm gonna try the kickstand idea next time I'm stuck.

B
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hehehe - in the Good Old Days when your '72 Dodge Dart had a big honkin' Pioneer AM/FM/Cassette on a slide-out underdash mount (interchangeable with the CB radio), sometimes you'd have to pull out the radio by the handle, open the door, and wave the thing over the coils. :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Syd

Post by Syd »

PeteH wrote:Hehehe - in the Good Old Days when your '72 Dodge Dart had a big honkin' Pioneer AM/FM/Cassette on a slide-out underdash mount (interchangeable with the CB radio), sometimes you'd have to pull out the radio by the handle, open the door, and wave the thing over the coils. :D
In '72? That thing must have cost a fortune. Me, I had me a sweet 8-track!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

Cool beans! I just contacted CalTrans about my FINAL signal on my commute, turning into the parking structure that I sometimes sit through 3 times...