What Other Scooters Do You Have A Crush On?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rusty Shackleford

What Other Scooters Do You Have A Crush On?

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

We all have a genuine appreciation for our scooters (PUN intended), but we're human. Sometimes we're attracted to other bikes... and that's normal. So the question is this: What other scooters do you have a crush on? Furthermore, what makes you attracted to them? Go ahead, Ms Stella won't mind (PUN also intended). Infatuation sometimes comes and goes in a Blur (yet another PUN intended) but your scooter will always be your buddy (OMG make the PUNs stop).

Like plenty of you folks, I'm a big fan of highway power without going full-on maxi-scooter. Local use of the interstate is sometimes very convenient, so it's nice to be capable of it. All though not as big of a share of the market, there's a few scooters available that meet the need... and I would own if money were no object.

1. Vespa GTS

2.Aprilia Scarabeo

3. Genuine Blur

What say you? What other scooters besides the one(s) you own do you find yourself Googling late at night?
C'mon, sko sko sko!
easy

Post by easy »

The shop I was at last Saturday sells Vespa, bv350 and Kymco. The Vespa had the best seat by far. The people gti300 came home with me . Just gotta scoot gave it great reviews after 150 miles I love it well except the exhaust sound on take off its very go cartish. Money no object would of come with the Vespa 300 sport in satin black and a Motto Guzzie v7 racer may e some day.
Last edited by easy on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
what did you trade the day for?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

<Message goes here>
Attachments
BMW C650GT.JPG
BMW C650GT.JPG (52.86 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

That's easy. I have always wanted a vintage Slimline Lambretta: TV 175 or 150.

Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

That TV is sweet!!! I'm also crushing on the 946 but NOT the price....(In other words, it ain't happening)...
TVB

Post by TVB »

Before I changed my mind and bought a Buddy, I had decided to buy a Yamaha C3; it was listed by name on my financial-planning spreadsheet and everything. Yeah, it looks a bit odd – which I secretly love, deep down – but with all that storage space, it's so darn practical.

On the other hand, there's something I like about the Honda Super Cub; for some reason I feel like I'd meet the nicest people riding one. Arguably not a "scooter", but what's in a name? Of course it is the anti-C3, lacking any enclosed storage whatsoever.

Which brings me to the Honda Ruckus, another oddball in appearance, with storage space... but not enclosed.

In the end, I went with the more conventional design of the Buddy, and I'm happy as can be with him, largely because he's a conventional scooter. But from time to time late at night, these bad boys call out to me.....
Last edited by TVB on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

That C3 has a neato Cushman/Topper/Refrigerator vibe to it. I dig it.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

:lol: for me to susinctfully answer,this thread could be better titled, "which scooters DON'T I crush on?" I love all of the above. Of course I love my new Helix-the boxy, pointy -nosed monster is a dream. I think I like my scooters really really pretty, interesting/quirky or UGLY. Butt ugly, not just unimaginatively ugly (kymco, hang your head in shame)
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The C3 is a pretty kick-ass scoot. Just wish it wasn't so tiny with only a 50cc engine. I mean, don't go sticking some 250 or something obscene in it, but a 110-125 would of been great!

My heart will always be for a sliver P-series. I even had one for a brief while, but needs have changed. Now I spend more in audio gear than I ever will a scooter simply because I don't have the time or the space. But, with my getting a studio, the space issue could be changing...
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Syd

Post by Syd »

Peabody, I can't believe it.

Rainbow Unicorn
Riva 200Z
The majority is always sane - Nessus
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

peabody99 wrote::lol: for me to susinctfully answer,this thread could be better titled, "which scooters DON'T I crush on?" I love all of the above. Of course I love my new Helix-the boxy, pointy -nosed monster is a dream. I think I like my scooters really really pretty, interesting/quirky or UGLY. Butt ugly, not just unimaginatively ugly (kymco, hang your head in shame)
I've heard it called "ugly" but I like the mid-size Kymco Yager 200i (1) for it's weight (300 lbs.), (2) generous 2.9 gal. fuel tank size for a 174cc engine (Buddy, hang your head in shame) and (3) fuel injected engine. I sat on one today, a 2010 with 1,800 miles, and it just felt right. A Kymco Like 200i was parked next to it so I had to sit on it for comparison's sake. It didn't feel right. So, my current crush is the Kymco Yager 200i. Did I think it looked "ugly"? No way. It does look a bit different but it's a look I could definitely live with. "Interesting/quirky" maybe but definitely not "ugly". It would definitely complement my retro-looking 2012 Buddy 170i Italia.

Bill in Seattle
'12 Yamaha Zuma 125
'12 Buddy 170i Italia
'87 Honda Helix 250 - the absolute ultimate in "interesting/quirky"!
'02 Honda Reflex 250
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

skipper20 wrote:
peabody99 wrote::lol: for me to susinctfully answer,this thread could be better titled, "which scooters DON'T I crush on?" I love all of the above. Of course I love my new Helix-the boxy, pointy -nosed monster is a dream. I think I like my scooters really really pretty, interesting/quirky or UGLY. Butt ugly, not just unimaginatively ugly (kymco, hang your head in shame)
I've heard it called "ugly" but I like the mid-size Kymco Yager 200i (1) for it's weight (300 lbs.), (2) generous 2.9 gal. fuel tank size for a 174cc engine (Buddy, hang your head in shame) and (3) fuel injected engine. I sat on one today, a 2010 with 1,800 miles, and it just felt right. A Kymco Like 200i was parked next to it so I had to sit on it for comparison's sake. It didn't feel right. So, my current crush is the Kymco Yager 200i. Did I think it looked "ugly"? No way. It does look a bit different but it's a look I could definitely live with. "Interesting/quirky" maybe but definitely not "ugly". It would definitely complement my retro-looking 2012 Buddy 170i Italia.

Bill in Seattle
'12 Yamaha Zuma 125
'12 Buddy 170i Italia
'87 Honda Helix 250 - the absolute ultimate in "interesting/quirky"!
'02 Honda Reflex 250
I love my 2012 Yager. It's very capable and punches above its weight. The only things I would change would be to swap on a 4V head for handling the higher RPMs and lengthen the final drive about 7-10%. Then it would be perfect.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Hmm, tough one. I'm kinda in Peabody's boat on this.

I'd take one of each of Yamaha's '80s line-up. Already have the Riva 80, 125 and 180. I'd also like a first year Zuma with the solo saddle.

From Honda, I'd take an '86 Elite 150D in blue with a crash bar set (and retrofit an '87 Elite 150 brake pedal), an '85 Elite 250, a Beat 50, a Gyro UP and an Indian-market Eterno.

I'd have a Suzuki Gemma, just for those Akira wannabe moments. And an FZ50 Rascal.

From Piaggio, I'd take an MP3 City,a Vespa GT200L and a S150 Sport SE. I'll also take a Grand Lusso, a Douglas "Rod" model , a PK125ETS and one of the prototype T5's with mechanical fuel injection.

Lambretta, I'll take a Luna 75, a J125 Starscream, an LD150 and one of the "Winter Warmer" Servetas that seemed to be made from both Series 2 and Series 3 parts.

I'd have a Heinkel Tourist, an NSU Prima and a Fuji Rabbit. A Triumph Tigress 175 and a Cezeta 501. Finally, since I'm shooting the moon, a Terrot VMS1.

How's that for a pipe dreamin'?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

With the addition of my Buddy 170i to the stable (I am extremely pleased
with the 170i) there is little that I wish for---at the moment. :lol: However,
PGO makes a 150cc trike that is not available in this country, popular in
Europe, but trikes dont find much demand here. If it were available I
would break my piggy bank to get one. :wink:
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Stella and the Kymco Like 200i.

Stella so much that once AutoStella makes it to the US I'm going to have a really hard time reminding myself that a renter really can't house more than one scoot in addition to the car. (and that I don't NEED more than one scoot in addition to the car)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Rusty's choices mirror my own, hence why I got the Scarabeo :P.

I'd love a gts300, but I'd have to win the lotto to justify it.

One of the automatic honda motorcycles too..mmmm.

the C3 seems like such a good friend. There was a red one for sale locally and I almost jumped on it, then I thought...what would I do with it?

Also wouldn't mind some crazy old or odd vintage machine.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I like a lot of different scooters....but I'm really partial to the old Vespa's, and Lambretta, all the old classic stuff cause that's what I grew up with. I like vintage things, especially bikes and scooters.. I'm just an Old, Old school guy... Guess that's why I like the Genuine Stella so much... But in one way or the other, they are all cool...
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

"SonnyD" I'm just an Old, Old school guy... Guess that's why I like the Genuine Stella so much... But in one way or the other, they are all cool..."

+1
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Lambretta SX 200 and Vespa GS 150 and GS 160 MK I

I really am lucky to already have a few of my "Dream" scooters! Reasonable deals came up when I had some cash.
68 Vespa SS 180 (the last TRUE vintage Vespa :mrgreen:) and a 64 Vespa GS MK II
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
wschmechel

Post by wschmechel »

I really liked the C3...until I showed it to my wife and she said "it looks like you'd be sitting on a baby coffin" and I was done with it. Now every time I see one, I have "baby coffin" stuck in my head. Sorry if that ruins it for anyone else...

Anyway, I like the look of the Ruckus and also the Yamaha Zuma 125. I like the "off-road" tires and the sporty/rugged looks of them. I don't think I'd ever get the Ruckus as everything I've read says they're slow, but I could see myself on the fuel-injected Zuma 125.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

TVB and I agree again. Too much history and brilliance in this bike not to want one. I also think it's pretty.

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

wschmechel wrote:... I have "baby coffin" stuck in my head. ...
My initial thought was "ice chest", which made it kinda cool...
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

If I had to get a scooter to take over the road, I'd like one of the sport/maxi hybrids like these...

Piaggio BV350

Honda Forza
C'mon, sko sko sko!
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

All of them!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

2014 Fly 150

lust

Riding is riding
Spud

Post by Spud »

wschmechel wrote:I really liked the C3...until I showed it to my wife and she said "it looks like you'd be sitting on a baby coffin" and I was done with it. Now every time I see one, I have "baby coffin" stuck in my head. Sorry if that ruins it for anyone else...
Part of the reason I chose the Stella (a VERY tiny part of the reason) was that to me, a lot of scooter seats look like toilets. Not toilet seats; like an entire toilet. I am very sorry if anyone else cannot "unsee" it. :lol:

The best-looking scooter seats to me are IMO on the Stella and the Vespas.

I love the look of the old-fashioned version of the Kymco People 250. The seat is only slightly toilet-like (very slightly), and in the silvery/golden color, it looks just like something right out of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis". If they still made it, I probably would have picked it over the Stella, as it was freeway-capable.

I never rode one, but I would love to if I ever got the chance.
Attachments
people250.jpg
people250.jpg (32.62 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

In no particular order:
Genuine Stella Fireball
Genuine Stella GB150
Fuji Rabbit Superflow
Maicoletta
'80s Honda Elite 150 or 250
Honda Julio 50
Yamaha Riva 180 or 200
Lambretta SX200
Lambretta Li 150
Lambretta TV175
Vespa SS180 with trapezoidal headlight
Vespa smallframe (90, Primavera)
Vespa GS
Vespa Millennium PX200
Vespa Millennium PX150 Series America
Zundapp Bella
IWL Berliner
IWL Pitty
Walba Deluxe 1
Terrot VMS
Triumph Tessy
Faka Commodore Motoroller
Honda Supercub

…and on and on and on…

There are new, modern scooters I'd consider buying if I had the need and the money, but I don't know that I have crushes on any of them.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

One other I forgot. The Honda Motocompo (shown here with a matching City hatchback, custom fit to carry it in; and optional two-tone/ska-revival band).
Last edited by TVB on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

With a few vintage exceptions, that is an advantage of scooters over many other vehicles. If I have a serious crush on a scooter, then I end up owning it :wink: . For me, the biggest exception are those great 1950s cruising scooters such as the Zundapp Bella, Fuji Rabbit, Honda Juno and the like. Hard (and expensive) to find good runners.
Attachments
VitorCampos_Bella.jpg
VitorCampos_Bella.jpg (190.59 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
jprestonian

Fireball?

Post by jprestonian »

Dood in Nashville has a primo, cherry one in his climate-controlled garage, and it's for sale, Eric.

Come see us at Blue vs. Grey II!
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

My only real crush?

I'd love to have a Suzuki Gemma. LOVE.

Ain't gonna happen, I know.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Went to my first scooter rally last weekend ( East Coast Classic ) and fell in love with Lambrettas! Especially the bigger ones. I've have to do some more reading on those.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Nice list Eric.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Believe it or not, somewhere along the way I decided the Yager was actually NOT the ugliest scooter in the world, and suddenly I wanted one.

~SM
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:One other I forgot. The Honda Motocompo (shown here with a matching City hatchback, custom fit to carry it in; and optional two-tone/ska-revival band).
Here you go. Only $19,500!
http://bringatrailer.com/2013/06/02/198 ... -for-sale/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jprestonian wrote:My only real crush?

I'd love to have a Suzuki Gemma. LOVE.
My Suzuki crush isn't quite a scooter…

Early '90s SW1:

Kind of an update of the Achilles 175, which is also on my "not quite a scooter" list:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

RoaringTodd wrote:Went to my first scooter rally last weekend ( East Coast Classic ) and fell in love with Lambrettas! Especially the bigger ones. I've have to do some more reading on those.
Did you meet a bunch of MBers there? I know about a half dozen others that went. Looked so much fun, I'm seriously considering doing it next year.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

ericalm wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:Went to my first scooter rally last weekend ( East Coast Classic ).
Did you meet a bunch of MBers there? I know about a half dozen others that went. Looked so much fun, I'm seriously considering doing it next year.
topic25036.html

Ericalm - Really enjoyed myself. Got so many ideas for my next scoot. Perfect location and weather, and I hope to stay the whole weekend next year. Will be great to see you if you come out this way.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:Here you go. Only $19,500!
http://bringatrailer.com/2013/06/02/198 ... -for-sale/
If only I were in the market for a car....
manual_overide

Post by manual_overide »

Vespa GTV - Love that seat and the fender mounted headlight!

Piaggio MP3 - Oh God, the storage! Someone showed up to the rally last weekend on one of these and all I could do was ogle it.

Now if I only had all the money in the world, I might be able to afford both of these :)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ericalm wrote:In no particular order:
Genuine Stella Fireball
Genuine Stella GB150
Fuji Rabbit Superflow
Maicoletta
'80s Honda Elite 150 or 250
Honda Julio 50
Yamaha Riva 180 or 200
Lambretta SX200
Lambretta Li 150
Lambretta TV175
Vespa SS180 with trapezoidal headlight
Vespa smallframe (90, Primavera)
Vespa GS
Vespa Millennium PX200
Vespa Millennium PX150 Series America
Zundapp Bella
IWL Berliner
IWL Pitty
Walba Deluxe 1
Terrot VMS
Triumph Tessy
Faka Commodore Motoroller
Honda Supercub

…and on and on and on…

There are new, modern scooters I'd consider buying if I had the need and the money, but I don't know that I have crushes on any of them.
a crush on all of 'em? wow, you get around, sir!!
Riding is riding
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

I'd love me a Stella...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote: Kind of an update of the Achilles 175, which is also on my "not quite a scooter" list:
I've never seen one of those before but it's absolutely gorgeous!!!

My dream-scoot has been the Big Ruckus for several years now.

I'd happily settle with a 4T Stella though. The MPGs (even if the obviously over-exaggerated claimed MPG is laughable) is pretty tempting. Also, the style = sexy/classy.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I'm getting real world 90MPG out of my 4T Stella.

Never really tracked what my Big Ruckus gets.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Luckily, I currently have all the scooters I have a crush on. :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

michelle_7728 wrote:Luckily, I currently have all the scooters I have a crush on. :D
Exactly :wink: !
Lostmycage wrote:My dream-scoot has been the Big Ruckus for several years now.
Go for it! Where else can you get your heart's desire that easily.
http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcy/3851312114.html
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Blurring the lines between scoot and cycle:

First motorized 2 wheeler I ever rode/drove was a Honda CB125 that my dad had gotten from somewhere back in the late 70's, and since then I have always wanted to have "that" bike again. Not too large, plenty of fun, simple plain ol' motorcycle... And that is what the SYM Wolf Classic 150 looks like. I'll be keeping an eye out for a deal on one of those. :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Dooglas wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:Luckily, I currently have all the scooters I have a crush on. :D
Exactly :wink: !
Lostmycage wrote:My dream-scoot has been the Big Ruckus for several years now.
Go for it! Where else can you get your heart's desire that easily.
http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcy/3851312114.html

GASP!!! Someone's selling a Big Ruckus in Rapid?!?

Look away, I need to just look away.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Saddlebags and a custom seat too. Only $3500!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (45.48 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Syd wrote:.... and a custom seat too.
Actually that looks like the stock seat :wink: . It does this weird and wonderful thing where the back half is hinged so it can be raised into that alternate position.