AGV dragon helmet

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jradanov

AGV dragon helmet

Post by jradanov »

Anyone have one of these? Their looks are Cool Hand Luke badass and say Buddy for sure, but I have seen some poor reviews about quality and fit.

If you have one, how does the fit compare to others?
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

Hey, looks cool. The answer most anybody will give is go try it on. Fit reviews are only accurate for the person who tried it on. Your head will be different.

If it meets your safety/risk expectations and fits YOUR head then you found yourself a great helmet!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

+1

I agree, try it on. The head shape might not work, the strap might be cumbersone to latch or too close to your throat, etc, etc.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

That DOES look really cool... I have no idea on the fit though!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jmazza wrote:That DOES look really cool... I have no idea on the fit though!

Looks nice but not for me...I'm a modular kinda guy!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/ ... elmet.aspx
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

BuddyRaton wrote:

Yeah, so far I'm a full face guy... I can't see doing US1 any other way... but for less dangerous rides it really IS a cool helmet!!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jmazza wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:

... but for less dangerous rides it really IS a cool helmet!!
Which rides are those??? :shock:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

BuddyRaton wrote:
jmazza wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:

... but for less dangerous rides it really IS a cool helmet!!
Which rides are those??? :shock:
The ones that stay in my driveway?? :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I considered one of these at one point but (aside from 3/4 vs. full/modular issues). I read a couple reports of fit issues due to the shape. I also read from one owner that he didn't like the way wind/air would come up under the shield and get him in the eyes.

Overall, though, AGV makes some good quality helmets.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

For me full face/modular is the only way to go not only for the added protection if you dump, but also for the bugs, pebbels, sand, and other small flying objects that could get you. Going through a foresty area in the summer at dawn/dusk you encounter those "clouds" of bugs . . . I rather clean the helmet than my face.

In urban areas though, you might not encounter as much flying/suspended debris.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
coopdway

Post by coopdway »

EP_scoot wrote:For me full face/modular is the only way to go not only for the added protection if you dump, but also for the bugs, pebbels, sand, and other small flying objects that could get you. Going through a foresty area in the summer at dawn/dusk you encounter those "clouds" of bugs . . . I rather clean the helmet than my face.

Agree.....absopositively!
tjupille

Post by tjupille »

I have one, and I like it.

As with any helmet, fit depends on the shape of your head.

I wear glasses, so a full-face is not an option. My other helmet is a modular (AGV Miglia). The trade-offs:
- the Dragon is much lighter and much more comfortable in hot weather.
- the Miglia should offer better protection in case of accident.
- the Miglia has much lower wind noise
no surprise on either score; pretty much what you'd expect from an open-face vs. modular comparison.

I have a full beard; between that and the eyeshield on the Dragon, I'm pretty well covered with respect to bugs.

I end up using the Miglia when I'm on the Royal Enfield bullet (motorcycle) which is my regular commuter and/or semi-long distance bike. I end up using the Dragon most of the time when I'm on the scooter, which tends to be slower/shorter trips. I'm consciously trading off protection for comfort in that case.
jradanov

Post by jradanov »

Yes, it's pretty hot where I am, though I have a half HJC helmet with air vents for hotter rides. But I need something with at least a partial visor since I wear glasses too, and also want a clear visor for night rides.
JokerJim

Post by JokerJim »

I have the army camo Dragon helmet.

It is a nice helmet and the fit is fine.

The visor allows too much air for my ultra sensitive eyes. It has been worn 2x maybe 3 tops.

I ride with a modular helmet now.

Make me an offer for the Dragon camo.

Joker
Mmmmm Crab Rangoon
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

BuddyRaton wrote:Looks nice but not for me...I'm a modular kinda guy!
Modular is the ONLY way to go in my opinion.

I guess those dragon helmets are cool. I would never own one though. I have this thing about not having my lower jaw getting forced into my brain if I go down. Call me crazy.

Dave
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

tjupille wrote:I wear glasses, so a full-face is not an option. My other helmet is a modular (AGV Miglia).
I wear glasses and only wear full face or modular helmets.

Here is the trick to wearing a full face with glasses.

Take your glasses off. Put on the full face helmet. Raise the visor. Put your glasses back on.

I have been doing it for years and it has worked every time.

Dave
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterDave wrote:I guess those dragon helmets are cool. I would never own one though. I have this thing about not having my lower jaw getting forced into my brain if I go down. Call me crazy.
Plus, in my size (XXL), the dragon would make me look like an exlamation point.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

that helmet is so B.A.! It looks like it belongs in a Tie fighter blasting at x-wings!
I have the scoots!
jradanov

Post by jradanov »

Aside from an Easy Rider helmet, it does spread a little style around. I'm less concerned with jaw coverage than I am having it protect my melon correctly. I figure it will at least get half the bugs that smack my face year round in FL.
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

jradanov wrote:Aside from an Easy Rider helmet, it does spread a little style around. I'm less concerned with jaw coverage than I am having it protect my melon correctly. I figure it will at least get half the bugs that smack my face year round in FL.
Perhaps you did not read my post correctly. Your jaw will be fine. It will just be impacted into the back of your head.

Think of it this way.. Let me hit you in the chin with a ball bat that has rocks & glass glued to it. What would you rather be wearing?

I could care less what you wear. Wear a ball cap if you want. It is not a matter of if you will go down, it is a matter of when you will go down. A half helmet is the same of no helmet in terms of protection.

I know when Lobsterman & I rode to lunch, he did not plan on going over his handlebars on the curve. When he went face first into the grass & trees, I am just guessing he was glad he had a full face helmet on.

Dave
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterDave wrote:
jradanov wrote:Aside from an Easy Rider helmet, it does spread a little style around. I'm less concerned with jaw coverage than I am having it protect my melon correctly. I figure it will at least get half the bugs that smack my face year round in FL.
Perhaps you did not read my post correctly. Your jaw will be fine. It will just be impacted into the back of your head.

Think of it this way.. Let me hit you in the chin with a ball bat that has rocks & glass glued to it. What would you rather be wearing?

I could care less what you wear. Wear a ball cap if you want. It is not a matter of if you will go down, it is a matter of when you will go down. A half helmet is the same of no helmet in terms of protection.

I know when Lobsterman & I rode to lunch, he did not plan on going over his handlebars on the curve. When he went face first into the grass & trees, I am just guessing he was glad he had a full face helmet on.
Okay, okay. Plenty of others have already suggested FF/modular helmets. No sense in berating him or getting bitchy. No one's going to be ragged into making a decision.

It's obvious that full coverage provides the best protection. The face and jaw are very vulnerable in a crash.

But if someone is willing to accept that risk, so be it. The OP came here looking for advice on a specific helmet, not a lecture.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I own a baseball cap, a half-helmet, an open-faced helmet and a full-face helmet. Wear 'em all. Anybody gives me grief about what I'm wearing I just say that once THEY'VE ridden for a solid 37 years, they will then have the right to tell me what I should wear...

In the meantime, however, my advice is simple. Protect what you want to keep.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
poop colored buddy

Keys wrote:I own a baseball cap, a half-helmet, an open-faced helmet and a full-face helmet. Wear 'em all. Anybody gives me grief about what I'm wearing I just say that once THEY'VE ridden for a solid 37 years, they will then have the right to tell me what I should wear...

In the meantime, however, my advice is simple. Protect what you want to keep.

--Keys 8)
i guess i'll be wearing this then from now on.
Attachments
ouch.jpg
ouch.jpg (6.67 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
look at this streamlined bad boy!
look at this streamlined bad boy!
23124405.jpg (19.16 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
I have the scoots!
jradanov

Post by jradanov »

Yeah, I often go without a helmet in my hood. Why? Because I can.
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

ericalm wrote:Okay, okay. Plenty of others have already suggested FF/modular helmets. No sense in berating him or getting bitchy. No one's going to be ragged into making a decision.

It's obvious that full coverage provides the best protection. The face and jaw are very vulnerable in a crash.

But if someone is willing to accept that risk, so be it. The OP came here looking for advice on a specific helmet, not a lecture.
That was not a lecture nor was it getting bitchy. As I stated previously, I could care less if anyone wears a helmet at all. I disagree with helmet laws as it should be choice. I am stating that a half helmet offers no protection, in my opinion and from almost 20 years of scootering.

The OP also stated that they were not concerned with jaw protection. I just wanted to make sure they understood what would happen if they went down and their face impacted something.

I think I did what you said the OP wanted and that is give my advice on a specific helmet.

Dave
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

Post by SERIES ITALIA RIDER »

ScooterDave wrote:
ericalm wrote:Okay, okay. Plenty of others have already suggested FF/modular helmets. No sense in berating him or getting bitchy. No one's going to be ragged into making a decision.

That was not a lecture nor was it getting bitchy. As I stated previously, I could care less if anyone wears a helmet at all. I disagree with helmet laws as it should be choice. I am stating that a half helmet offers no protection, in my opinion and from almost 20 years of scootering.

The OP also stated that they were not concerned with jaw protection. I just wanted to make sure they understood what would happen if they went down and their face impacted something.

I think I did what you said the OP wanted and that is give my advice on a specific helmet.

Dave
dang ScooterDave, we all know you want EVERYONE to wear a FULLFACE HELMET, but thats not what the Original Post was even asking... Your slamming about peoples jawbones being wrecked up and you going on and on is tiresome... Nobody wants to be Bashed about the type of helmet they wear or DONT wear... i appreciate that you care, but give it a rest already man...
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

(Speaking as a moderator) Dave, please be respectful and recognize people have a choice (in some states anyway) and the lectures are getting old.

That said, I am equally offended by frequent statements like "I don't need to wear a helmet because I live in a quiet neighborhood" or "I've been riding for 40 years and have never been in an accident, so I don't need a helmet." If you want to use those rationalizations as part of your risk-assessment data when deciding to wear a helmet or half helmet or no helmet, that's fine, but you are undeniably accepting greater risk with that decision. A quiet neighborhood and riding experience may somewhat REDUCE your risk, but they certainly don't come close to ELIMINATING it, and the way these statements are often made is misleading to new riders, I think it's fair to point out that you're NEVER safe on a scooter, and while you're free to make decisions on how you protect yourself, you are always at risk.

That point can theoretically be made curtly and politely, and while I tend to agree with Dave on most of his points, I also agree Dave's not the most tactful guy in the world (then again, neither am I).

In any case, the arguments have been made many times and the varying opinions are all posted a thousand times all over this board and many others, so we all need to just let it go.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

SERIES ITALIA RIDER wrote:dang ScooterDave, we all know you want EVERYONE to wear a FULLFACE HELMET, but thats not what the Original Post was even asking... Your slamming about peoples jawbones being wrecked up and you going on and on is tiresome... Nobody wants to be Bashed about the type of helmet they wear or DONT wear... i appreciate that you care, but give it a rest already man...
I will say this one more time for the hard of reading. I DO NOT CARE IF YOUY WEAR A HELMET OR NOT. I REALLY DO NOT CARE.

This thread started by someone asking about a specific helmet. My opinion is... If you are buying a half helmet, save your money as it does not offer any protection.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

illnoise wrote:In any case, the arguments have been made many times and the varying opinions are all posted a thousand times all over this board and many others, so we all need to just let it go.
Yep. The whole discussion is playing out—AGAIN—on ModernVespa right now. It's a seasonal thing, I guess.
poop colored buddy

reading this post makes me feel like I just walked In on daddy hitting mommy.
I have the scoots!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

poop colored buddy wrote:reading this post makes me feel like I just walked In on daddy hitting mommy.
What kind of helmet was she wearing? Makes all the difference in the world! :lol:
poop colored buddy

jmazza wrote:
poop colored buddy wrote:reading this post makes me feel like I just walked In on daddy hitting mommy.
What kind of helmet was she wearing? Makes all the difference in the world! :lol:
Bwaaah ha ha ha! That cracked me up! :rofl: :rofl:
I have the scoots!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

poop colored buddy wrote:Bwaaah ha ha ha! That cracked me up!
Me, too, but it's so politically incorrect that I can't admit it. :wink:
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

Post by SERIES ITALIA RIDER »

ScooterDave wrote:
I will say this one more time for the hard of reading. I DO NOT CARE IF YOUY WEAR A HELMET OR NOT. I REALLY DO NOT CARE.

This thread started by someone asking about a specific helmet. My opinion is... If you are buying a half helmet, save your money as it does not offer any protection.
ScooterDave the original post did not ask your opinion on what they should or shouldnt wear man... it only asked about anyone having experience with that particular helmet, DID NOT ASK YOUR OPINION ON WHAT THEY SHOULD WEAR!!!!

Asking about a particular helmet is not asking you if you recomend a half or full or any other body protecting kind of stuff... THE ORIGINAL POST simply asked if anyone had experience with 1 particular brand of helmet...

wow THEY DID NOT ask for advise on what they should wear or not wear....

we are all old enough to buy a scooter and old enough to decide either to wear head/body protection or not....
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Fair enough. Now let's move on, pls.