What NOT to carry

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

michelle_7728

What NOT to carry

Post by michelle_7728 »

Bananas.

Every time I get them, no matter how I transport them, they are all bruised by the time I get home--even though they were perfectly yellow when I left the store with them. :cry:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Do you have some spare bubble wrap laying around? Find a big enough piece of it that you can fold it over and duct tape up the ends to make an "envelope" large enough to hold your bananas. Be sure to use designer duct tape, like that Hello Kitty stuff or something so it will look cool. :wink:

It'd probably be a good idea to leave a long enough piece to make make a flap for the envelope to hold the bananas inside.

P.S. It might be smart to make it big enough to hold a carton of eggs, too... :wink:
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Have you actually tried the bubble wrap idea on bananas? It sounds good...

Eggs have survived unscathed, though maybe just a hair scrambled. :wink:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Hey! There you go! SOME of them are bound to be good still when I get home... :P
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

michelle_7728 wrote:Have you actually tried the bubble wrap idea on bananas? It sounds good...
Not for bananas, but I did make something just like that for a laptop, which worked great. It just didn't look cool. That's why I'm leaning toward using some of the designer duct tape that's available now, to sort of spruce it up. If you wanted to really spruce it up, you could put one of those stick-on velcro thingies on it to hold the envelope flap closed.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Plants! Have done it several times when I was working at a greenhouse, and no matter how well I packed them into my rear box, they would be like a giant dirt tossed salad when I got home!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I do pretty well with plants when I just put them into a canvas bag from the curry hook. R
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

still shifting wrote:I do pretty well with plants when I just put them into a canvas bag from the curry hook. R
You said curry hook :lol: Do you bring home your Indian food hanging from the hook?

:wink:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I had a similar problem with ripe fruits in the top case. I think the best solution it to hang any fruit/vegetables from the bag hook on most scoot in an insulated reusable bag. Those bags tend to be slightly padded as well as have sturdy carry handles and zipper closures. If the bag's handles are long enough, you can loop the handles under the street, but the best bet with ripe fruits it to keep them suspended so that they aren't bouncing against the floor while riding. That means the bag hook.

Experimentation is the ultimate solution, but good luck either way!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I carry produce in my back pack - works pretty good.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Buy them a bit green and don't put them in the hot pet carrier. Works for me.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

Or use one of these:

http://bananabunker.com/
Orange '08 Buddy 125
Seafoam Buddy "72" - Sold
Raleigh MTB - Bar ends and slicks
TVB

Post by TVB »

Although I have done it, I do not recommend carrying goldfish. The little baggie they came in would collapse and slosh around too much if placed in the pet carrier, or the milk crate on the rear rack. The glove bucket has similar problems, plus it takes a lot of bumps up front. This required that I hold the baggie in my left hand, which I prefer to have fully available for operating the scooter.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

What do you feed the gold fish to? R
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Pie. I put one in the topcase once and it was completely destroyed by the time I got home. We still ate it, of course, it just wasn't pretty.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

last time I carried a banana in the pet-carrier, I cracked it open and it had the consistency of a warm smoothie.
Last edited by BootScootin'FireFighter on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scotter

Post by Scotter »

Beef.
VCOA #3068
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Okay, I have some serious comments below, but in some I'm just having fun, NOT intending to hurt anyone's feelings! :D
Lostmycage wrote: I think the best solution it to hang any fruit/vegetables from the bag hook on most scoot in an insulated reusable bag. Those bags tend to be slightly padded as well as have sturdy carry handles and zipper closures. If the bag's handles are long enough, you can loop the handles under the street, but the best bet with ripe fruits it to keep them suspended so that they aren't bouncing against the floor while riding. That means the bag hook.
I like this idea...exept for looping the handles under the street, of course... :P
Dibber wrote:Buy them a bit green and don't put them in the hot pet carrier. Works for me.
I've never put any fruit in the pet carrier. I put the bananas in my top case on top of other things....so they were ostensibly padded, but apparently not padded enough. They always go from pristine yellow to very bruised by the time I get home.
paikkylee wrote:Or use one of these: http://bananabunker.com/
Well, I always buy a "bunch", not just one or two, but I don't even want to tell you what those look like...I'd be embarrassed to be seen with those, I fear! :oops:
pdxrita wrote:Pie. I put one in the topcase once and it was completely destroyed by the time I got home. We still ate it, of course, it just wasn't pretty.
That's when you just call it "cobbler". I attempted to make a blackberry pie once...turned out as cobbler. :P
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:last time I carried a banana in the topcase, I cracked it open and it had the consistency of a smootie.
I know what you mean...it just sounds funny!
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Scotter wrote:Beef.
Looks like the cow is having fun. Like the Gonzo fist avatar BTW. Big HST fan here. 8)
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

The cow...what is that dude going to do when cow gets motion sickness and pukes all over his DOT flip-flop? The cows stomach is prolly one big slushie after that kind of "transport".
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Stormswift wrote:The cow...what is that dude going to do when cow gets motion sickness and pukes all over his DOT flip-flop? The cows stomach is prolly one big slushie after that kind of "transport".
Hate to be a bummer, but I don't think that is an issue, as I don't think that cow is alive.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

bluebuddygirl wrote:
Stormswift wrote:The cow...what is that dude going to do when cow gets motion sickness and pukes all over his DOT flip-flop? The cows stomach is prolly one big slushie after that kind of "transport".
Hate to be a bummer, but I don't think that is an issue, as I don't think that cow is alive.
Even if it was then, it certainly isn't now. I don't think he's taking it to the zoo where it'll live happily ever after with all its other cow friends.

Anyway, it seems that newborn babies have been shown to be scooter luggage friendly.
Attachments
baby-scooter-luggage-456a-101210.jpg
baby-scooter-luggage-456a-101210.jpg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
scooter+baby.JPG
scooter+baby.JPG (35.35 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
Akaipaps

Post by Akaipaps »

Maybe just buy a big bubble wrap envelope? The Post Office sells them for their Priority Mail stuff.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I used to grow bananas when I lived in FLA.. Everyone always seems to make the same mistake. To ripen bananas you keep them in a darkened area, the less light the faster the ripening process, add some heat to either make them more or less "sweet" (more heat=less sweet). Now put those bananas, ripe and yellow into a "petcarrier" or topcase and viola, you now have overripe and bruised fruit. It really does not take long for bananas to go from ripe too overripe, but with due care a yellow and delicious banana can be had by all.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

IMO that cow looks alive. But as was said earlier, he/she is probably grazing in the pasture in the sky. R.I.P. :(
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I think the cows tongue is sticking out... which mean he wants to pass you!
monkeykat

Post by monkeykat »

I'm going to guess the cow is alive. When you have to transport a new cow, goat, chicken, emu, whatever, you'll get it done however you can!

I saw a documentary on rural China where the only way to get between these two cities is to zip-line across a substantial gorge with a raging river below. They had footage of all sorts of farm animals tied up by their feet and zip-lining. They were very much alive (or at least they were when they left one side of the gorge). :)

And yeah, I'd rather be seen with a brown banana than that bananabunker thing!
Tom

Post by Tom »

I've seen them transported much the same way in Iraq. Well, in a tiny datsun sized pickup truck actually, but tied up so it couldn't move very similarly.

EDIT: Cows that is, not bananas. :P
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I miss my old '79 Datsun pickup. It was one of the ones with the metal curve molded into the door above the door handle.

I was in my early 20s and put the elbow grease into it so that the rust was removed, any little dents taken out and had it painted a bright yellow (was originally that ugly school bus orange), then put a little white fiberglass Backpack canopy on it. Dependable little truck and super easy to work on!

This one's very nice looking, for anyone wondering what they looked like...
http://desertdatsuns.freeforums.org/for ... t1209.html
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jonlink wrote:Anyway, it seems that newborn babies have been shown to be scooter luggage friendly.
Awesome. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Panniers with built-in changing tables! Genius!
iMoses

Re: What NOT to carry

Post by iMoses »

michelle_7728 wrote:Bananas.

Every time I get them, no matter how I transport them, they are all bruised by the time I get home--even though they were perfectly yellow when I left the store with them. :cry:
I use a banana hammock
Tom

Post by Tom »

michelle_7728 wrote:I miss my old '79 Datsun pickup. It was one of the ones with the metal curve molded into the door above the door handle.

I was in my early 20s and put the elbow grease into it so that the rust was removed, any little dents taken out and had it painted a bright yellow (was originally that ugly school bus orange), then put a little white fiberglass Backpack canopy on it. Dependable little truck and super easy to work on!

This one's very nice looking, for anyone wondering what they looked like...
http://desertdatsuns.freeforums.org/for ... t1209.html
I have a '74 myself. I love that truck, but it's in nowhere near the condition of that one- WOW. I wish..
BootScootin'FireFighter

Re: What NOT to carry

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

iMoses wrote:I use a banana hammock
:fp: no pictures required, we believe you.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Cows have a series of multiple stomachs, something they evolved to help them with being transported on the backs of scooters without puking. :)
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I went to undergrad at an ag school. You guys are off, cows can be modded too. Just get a fistulated cow, and "drain their tank" to prevent them from clogging up and puking.

TVB

Post by TVB »

I did not need to see that photo. :shock:

In fact, I need to have not seen that photo.
Syd

Post by Syd »

TVB wrote:I did not need to see that photo. :shock:

In fact, I need to have not seen that photo.
Yeah, I first thought it was a roll of packing tape. I was asking myself what she was doing with a roll of packing tape and a cow when I saw that her arm was missing. Before I got to the what is an armless woman doing with a cow and some packing tape I figured it out. :bleh:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Yeah, I saw that on TV once before....I want to say it was on "Dirty Jobs", but I might be misremembering. It didn't look any better there.

Ostensibly it does not hurt the cow, and "I think" they said it makes it easier to give them antibiotics, or feed them when they don't want to eat for some reason, but again, I might be wrong.

Either way, I agree...I could have gone without ever having seen it.