Top Case Recommendation

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

remhed

Top Case Recommendation

Post by remhed »

I amthinking about getting a top case for my Buddy. I did a search on eBay and there are cases out there for as low as $40 up to $100+ including some Genuine brand name ones.

Can anyone make some recommendations on what to stay away from and/or which work well? I want something that will hold a full face helmet.

Thanks
Steve Johnson
Carmel, In
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I use a Givi myself, an E30, and it will hold a full-face.

But my only strong feeling is to avoid the Genuine top-cases. They are pretty cheaply made. On mine, the plastic around the lock busted, and the mounting hardware vibrated itself loose and I nearly lost the thing on the road at one point.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I have the Shad 29
$99 from scooterworks (& most other places)

Its not pretty but it has proven to be quite durable & holds all I need to.

I bought it for my Rattler (now sold) so I am not crazy about the look on my Stella but one of the things I really like is the quick release handle that just pops it off or on.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I use a Hawk 3/4 helmet. Check out full face ones here .

<edit> :fp: DUH on me. Forgot this was about topcases.
Last edited by agrogod on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
EBee

Post by EBee »

I got this one for my BlackJack and it ROCKS. I can detach it and carry it away if I want...it holds my bag with all my work stuff and laptop, plus the height of it allows me to pile stuff high.

It will definitely hold your full-face and then some:

I got mine at our dealer but I see it is for sale here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/lug ... l_bag.html
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
paige

Post by paige »

GIVI E30 with additional tail light.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

EBee wrote:I got this one for my BlackJack and it ROCKS. I can detach it and carry it away if I want...it holds my bag with all my work stuff and laptop, plus the height of it allows me to pile stuff high.

I got mine at our dealer but I see it is for sale here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/lug ... l_bag.html
I have that for my Triumph. The detachable part broke almost immediately, but that's ok. I just screwed it down to the plate and it has worked awesomely for years now.

I don't know what the hate is for the Genuine top box. I like mine and I used LocTite Blue so nothing would vibrate off. I hope the rack doesn't break, but I don't over load the case anyways. I like the way it looks.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

EBee wrote:I got this one for my BlackJack and it ROCKS. I can detach it and carry it away if I want...it holds my bag with all my work stuff and laptop, plus the height of it allows me to pile stuff high.

Got that exact same case. Took a little work to get the mount plate attached and the dual action key mechanism is a nice feature. Holds enough for light shopping trips or your helmet when parked.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Got both of these beauties for under $100, so far so functional.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I have Genuine topcase and like it. The lock is turn to close and turn and push in to open. Easy. I can fit my lunchbox, my little backpack and fleece light jacket in. I also like the look. It makes the bike look bigger
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
T'Pring

Post by T'Pring »

Went with the Coocase and glad I did.

Keys? I don't need no stinkin' keys.

Never thought I would use the remote but, that is my #1 favorite feature. Well built, roomy and has brake light LEDs [albeit small] built into the lid.
Attachments
Coocase behind 1b.jpg
Coocase behind 1b.jpg (45.61 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
Coocase side 1b.jpg
Coocase side 1b.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
If you choose not to decide -- you still have made a choice.
misu

Re: Top Case Recommendation

Post by misu »

remhed wrote:I amthinking about getting a top case for my Buddy. I did a search on eBay and there are cases out there for as low as $40 up to $100+ including some Genuine brand name ones.

Can anyone make some recommendations on what to stay away from and/or which work well? I want something that will hold a full face helmet.

Thanks
the decked out coocase cases are nice! esp with the remote... but i'm satisfied/happy with my $40 ebay one. definitely holds a full face/modular.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

The cool thing about the $40 med & $60 Lrg clone cases is that you can buy some close matching Krylon paint (so many colors) and two tone them to the scoot body color. As soon as the days get a little cooler (90F) I plan to mask off and paint the bottoms Pamplona red and the tops Pamplona beige, or vice-versa. That should attract traffic attention. :D
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Wow, I thought I was the only person on MB who was happy with his Genuine TopCase! Nice to see some others chiming in here!

I have nothing bad to say about my color matching Genuine Top Case at all. It has never leaked, never rattled, never done anything but exactly what it is supposed to do — stay closed and keep my stuff safe. And having a St. Tropez, the matching blue paint color really looks especially good.

In the "above and beyond" performance category, my scooter has been knocked over once while parked, and I low sided at about 30mph once, and in each incident my top case has remained locked and closed even though it took the bulk of the blow going down. That definitely impressed me.

The only maintenance I've had to do to it is once a dowel in one of the hinges vibrated loose. I just went to the hardware store and bought a replacement for 50¢, tapped it in, and it has bee perfect ever since. No big deal.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |