Modular type Helmets

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

Modular type Helmets

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I've narrowed the search down to a few... Vega Summit 3 (thanks Eric), HJC IS-Max (thanks Jen), and Scorpion EX-900 (thanks Michelle), based on MB referrals. I've also spent too much time on webbikeworld, about to pull my hair out over conflicting reviews. I have a round to oval shaped head, I prefer removable pads for cleaning. A drop down sun shield is a must, low wind noise would be nice as well. I also would like to install some sort of helmet speakers, but I have no idea what makes are any good. I've tried skull candy and some other inserts for my snowboard helmet, and they suck.

I would like some feedback or suggestions on flip-up helmets that meet those requirements so I can start looking around locally, and any suggestions for internal speakers.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I have never bought any other helmet, so I have no way of telling whether the Scorion EXO-900 is quieter. I "typically" wear ear plugs anyhow (not because I think it's loud, but because hearing loss is cumulative) so I'd have to say it's "average".

If I recall correctly it comes with space to connect a communications system, so maybe you could put speakers there. Me, I can't multi-task well enough to listen to music AND be wary of stuff going on around me, but that's me. :)

I emailed Scorpion a while back and asked if they were considering the Pinlock visor system. They replied back that they were. Here's some info about the Pinlock inserts . Scorpion is on the list as coming soon. But there are many other visors with this as well. Pretty neat stuff! I'm hoping they will provide the EXO-900 with them, as I would definitely get one of these...no more constant vent, unvent, vent, unvent stuff at the stop lights, you know?
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

All modulars are going to be a tad noisier (and heavier) than their mono-shell brethren.

Highly suggest you look at the Nolan modulars. They have everything you're asking for.

I did try out a Scorpion but I found the Nolan to be a better fit - I have a long-oval head and the Nolan just seemed more comfortable - wore both helmets for 30 minutes before deciding. Closest thing I could find to an Arai fit, and half the price.

The Nolan has an added modular system for adding speakers and bluetooth units to the helmet later if you desire.

Finally, and this was what closed the deal - on the Nolan, you have dual-catches to open up the helmet - you have to push up on one catch and pull down on the other. The opposing forces prevent something from catching you under the chin and yanking your helmet open and abrading your face.

I was a little leery of Nolan at first, but I've been very pleasantly suprised with them.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I've only ever had the HJC IS Max. I love the easy access up and down of the sun visor just one finger needed!

I don't know if it is noisier or not. There is a bluetooth version that has cut outs for chatterbox earphones and this little cutout on the side of the helmet for the chatterbox unit but it's plugged if you don't use it.

Short of trying them on, I don't know which you'll like. Wayne has the HJC IS Max, too and well, he's got a totally different head shape than me. A bunch of in SD swear this helmet.

I know Eric rocks a vega.

The Max is also affordable!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I really like Nolans but I know many people have a problem with the fit.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I'd highly recommend trying on some modular helmets before purchasing one. I was dead set on the EXO-900 before I tried it on. I found it to be heavy and it was also significatly larger looking than what I was used to. I ended up scrapping the idea of buying a modular all together and getting another, higher quality full face helmet. I'm not knocking modulars as my wife loves hers, but they certainly arn't for everybody.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Before purchasing, I researched modulars on webbikeworld and they did mention the weight of the Scorpion. According to info in a graph they have in the EXO review, although the EXO is on the heavier side, the Nolan N103, HJC FS-Max and Shark Evoline weigh about the same or slightly more.

I have to say that I did think it heavy when I first bought it, but after the first couple of times riding with it, I don't notice the weight any more. The Shark Evoline, was also on my short list--I can't remember why I decided against it, but I don't think it was because of weight.

webbikeworld is a good source, but kind of frustrating: I found about 8 helmets I wanted to look at, but the reality is that when I went to the local bike store (which has one of the largest selections of helmets in Washington) they only had 3 or 4 of the ones on my list.

So, research is good, but only goes so far--you just have to try them on and see which works the best for you. Several helmets (including the EXO) had the flip down visor, and capability for communications to be added, so for me, after fit, what decided me were the amount of visor "stops", the pump in the back (which ironically I've never used), and the overall look of where the vents were.

Because of my experience with the EXO, if I were looking for another helmet, I would not rule any out because of weight.

So, have fun deciding, and let us know what you end up getting! :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If you're not in too much of a rush, check out the International Motorcycle Show in DC when it comes in January. I'm waiting for the Long Beach show before making my new helmet decision.

Both the HJC-Is Max and Vega Summit 3 have Bluetooth versions. The HJC is compatible with the Chatterbox system, which a lot of riders speak highly of.

I like my IMC Motorcom wired speaker system, but have to say there are too many, uh, wires involved. It's a bit of a pain sometimes. The prices of BT helmets are starting to come down and I think I'll go wireless next time.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

One other thing...don't make a judgment about the weight without trying it on. The way the weight is distributed makes a difference. There are, for example, a couple of different models of Arai where the heavier one actually FEELS lighter to me, because of WHERE the weight is in the helmet.
paige

Post by paige »

I have the Nolan N100 and the 102 with the internal sun visor. I really like them, they are comfortable and feel secure. I don't use the sun visor because it sits directly in the middle of my field of vision. It does not go down far enough to replace sunglasses (like a smoked visor) and it does not work as a tinted eyebrow level shade. Useless. This has been the same issue in all of the helmets with internal sun visors that I have tried. My husband has a Schuberth C3 (Euro spec) that he adores. Light, quiet, and the visor goes down far enough. He loves not losing his sunglasses every other day. I tried that helmet in my size and the shape/fit was all wrong for me. :(
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Some of the older Nolans had an external sun visor. Totally useless pain in the butt. I only used mine (on a N40 3/4 helmet) at dusk in late summer, when the sun would beam right into my eyes. Otherwise, is stood up on top of the helmet like a backwards head spoiler.

The Nolan N90 is a nice alternate to the N103. Well reviewed and slightly cheaper. It's on my list of ones to try.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Went to the International Motorcycle Show this weekend and looked at Schuberth modular helmets that are very light (3.6lb) and are suppose to be very quiet (84db(A)@65mph). They are also available with Bluetooth that allows cell phone, GPS and MP3. You can also communicate with your passenger and up to 3 other riders at a range of up to 1000 feet. The option also includes an FM radio. It has a built-in sun visor and includes a Pinlock visor as standard. The quality is amazing and the interior padding kinda looks and feels like suede. The only problem is the price: $700 plus another $400 for the communication package. :shock:

Instead of that, I almost bought an HJC IS-MAX BT for $152, but opted to buy a new jacket instead.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

My favorite helmet is the Nolan N43 Trilogy. It has a removable chinbar which makes it more like a modular but unlike any other full face helmet I've tried I can take it off-on easily with the chinbar in place.

I've got one of the HJC modulars but find that it blocks my guages unless I bend my head which I prefer not to do. With the design of the Nolan N43 Trilogy chinbar I can glance down w/o bending my head (or only minor depending on which scoot I'm riding.) I've found myself riding without sunglasses if it isn't really bright since the internal sunshade goes down futher than on my HJC.

Besides Nolans fit me better than any other brand I've tried so I'll probably stick with them for any future helmets.
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

I'm thinking about getting a new helmet and there is a Vega Summit II on sale for only $65. I'm wondering if I should wait or go ahead and make an early Christmas purchase for myself.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lilguy wrote:I'm thinking about getting a new helmet and there is a Vega Summit II on sale for only $65. I'm wondering if I should wait or go ahead and make an early Christmas purchase for myself.
Why wait? It's a great price. I paid twice that and it was still a good price!

I strongly sugest trying this one on, though. It's a big helmet, boasting the most interior space of all the modulars. That's pretty much why the XXL is the only modular that fits me. But the round shape, large shell and front ace space may not work well on all heads.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

babblefish wrote:Instead of that, I almost bought an HJC IS-MAX BT for $152, but opted to buy a new jacket instead.
ericalm wrote:But the round shape, large shell and front ace space may not work well on all heads.
So far it looks like the HJC IS-MAX is where I'm leaning towards. I don't want to just impulse buy, but I am also pretty impatient knowing the expo won't be until mid January. ARRRGH!!

*thanks for everyone's suggestions and feedback so far*
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If you're trying to get a very specific helmet or type of helmet, or just want to try a bunch on, finding and buying one can take months.

While I definitely understand the shop & buy local principle, it's really hard to do brick and mortar helmet shopping, even in large cities. I think it's probably difficult and expensive for dealers to carry a wide range of models. When I was helmet shopping, I'd find out which local dealers carried the make I was looking for, but usually discovered they didn't carry the model. Once I decided on which helmet to buy, I called all the area dealers on the Vega list. None carried the model. Some said they might be able to order it.

I wound up buying from an online seller that had provided me with great service in the past. That should be rewarded as well!

All in all, though, once I decided I wanted a modular, it took over a year for me to narrow down my selection and buy one. Nuts, I know.
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

Thanks for the suggestion Eric. I tried the helmet on and I'm in between the Summit 2 ($65) and the Blinc v136 ($99). I think having bluetooth would be pretty awesome!