Tucano Urbano or Armadillo???

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JuleBox

Tucano Urbano or Armadillo???

Post by JuleBox »

Hey guys,
I know this is a Looooong post but please bear with me ;)

The temps are dropping here in Northern VA and my gear, just isn't cutting it. I recently received the Corazzo Lap Apron in the mail and it seems to do the job. Like most people I haven't put the velcro stickeys on just yet.

But anyway, this post is concerning a couple of jackets that I am very interested in. As a woman, I am always looking for something stylish, protective and comfortable that I can wear while riding. I loved GoGo Gear's concept when I heard about them but when I tried one on I was disappointed as they are cut way small and I have muscles that don't fit in those sleeves damnit!

Throughout my many hours of research I have found the Tucano Urbano womens Parka: http://scooter-wear.com/tucano-urbano-p ... 104-0.html
OR the Armadillo womens Parka:http://armadilloscooterwear.com/product ... fur-parka/

Now, I have read some really good reviews regarding the Armadillo that LostMyCage posted and he says they are warm as hell and you only need a T-shirt on underneath in 30degree weather.

On the other hand I really like the looks of the Tucano Urbano but don't know much about the company or the kind of cut of how warm it is.. Please help!!!

Keep in mind I hate wearing layers and I am really considering not riding my scoot for the rest of the winter unless I find a solution to the annoying constrictive, bulky feeling.

:x
JuleBox
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Between the two, I'd say Tucano Urbano beats Armadillo for quality. The downside is it's being imported and you don't get to try it on. Returns will be a hassle. There have been a number of reported problems with Armadillo's construction. Many US dealers are dropping the line; they lost their distributor at some point. I'd heard they had been dropped by several UK dealers due to the quality problems as well.

For riding gear, neither of these offer very good protection, especially in the abrasion resistance department.

There are a couple good alternatives that look good and have abrasion resistant materials as well as good armor.

Corazzo Tempeste: http://www.corazzo.net/womens-tempeste-jacket

GoGo Gear Military: http://www.scooter-girls.com/products.html#military

I wear the Tempeste and it's great for layering. The GoGo Military is very nice and from what women have told me, super toasty. A woman I met recently wore one through the winter months in Seattle and loved it.

*Disclaimers: Corazzo advertises with MB. I do some work for GoGo Gear/Scooter-Girls. I don't get anything for recommending them, though. I wouldn't ever recommend a product that I wouldn't wear (or wouldn't want my wife to wear in this case). Also, Julebox could easily kick my ass so I wouldn't steer her wrong.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Thank you for mentioning the upper arm narrow cut of the Gogo jackets. I have the same problem as you: upper arms do not fit into all of the jackets. I always have to buy everything with either wide sleeves or 1 size larger. I have Basic additions old parka that it oversized ( like 1X or something) . It can probably house another person my size so my mesh jacket fits right under it. Because the parka is so wide it does not matter that sleeves are not curved. I have not tried ski pants under it yet but even without them it looks pretty bad. I look as wide as I am tall. I have a feeling that any armored winter jacket would look no different then mesh and parka together: I will still look like a blimp :cry: . I will be a very warm blimp so that is something any way.
I like both of the parka's you mentioned but are they sold in US or you have to ship internationally and convert from Euros to US currency? I love the helmets they have also. They look very interesting
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bah, I wasn't reading carefully enough! Didn't see your comment on GoGo Gear!

Okeh, I actually have similar problems with some men's lines, too.

As I discovered working with GoGo Gear, it's very difficult to design an armored but fitted, flattering women's jacket (which is what women want, uh, right?) that fits all body shapes and sizes. Impossible, even. That's one reason their various styles have different fits/cuts and are better suited for different body types. The trench is broader and has more play in the arms. The military is more tailored and fitted. But there will be people who may not fit in either, as with helmets, etc. That's the unfortunate trade off for not having something that's bulky and ill-fitting, designed to fit all body types.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

Thanks for the advice Eric. I was bummed to hear about the poor quality in the Armadillo Parka. :( I tried on a Men's large while I was at Scoot Richmond and it felt soo nice. But if they quality and the inside stitching are problems then i guess it's a BIG no.

Although, what do you think??... If I were to buy the Armadillo, I would be purchasing the xs on ebay brand new for $125, FREE shipping! That's a steal to me.. especially if I can wear just a t-shirt underneath. 8)
Let me know what you think about the pricing and if it's still not worth the hassel with them then I will GoGo to Modern Classics in DC to try on some more GoGo Gear, it's been a year since I toyed with their products, I guess I could try some different models on.

It is a damn shame though. We all want perfection, at least the companies are trying but we are not all shaped like Brazillians.. Damn I wish we were.
JuleBox
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Several of the ModernVespa members have Tucanos and speak highly of them. You may want to try a search there to read people's feedback.

I'm never sure if it's honest or if it's "I paid a lot for this and had it sent from Europe so I'm going to say it's awesome!"
Lendlees

Post by Lendlees »

One thing to think about if you order anything from overseas...European clothes are cut smaller than US ones. I always go up one size when I buy stuff there. A good way to check sizing is to head over to H&M (I'm sure there's one in the DC metro area) and try stuff on.

I ended up with a size larger in the GoGo Gear jacket to accommodate a sweater underneath (for those cold, clammy Seattle days) and it fits well, albeit a bit large in the shoulders. Also GGG jackets are cut more European--so try a different style and go up one size to see if it fits better.

Good luck!
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

I'm never sure if it's honest or if it's "I paid a lot for this and had it sent from Europe so I'm going to say it's awesome!"[/quote]

True that!

I took a look at what MV members had to say. Still torn between things. AHHHH!! It sucks not being an impulse buyer, I critique all items to a T and I end up not making a purchase b/c of the fear I didn't make the right choice. LOL.. talk about indecisive.

Eric, you may know the answer to this.. I went on GoGo Gear's Gallery on the website and it shows a slideshow of a vampire trench, a bark brown patter, blue polka dotted rain coat, a white trench.. when are all of these styles coming out? And if they are already out where can I get them?I really like the Waterproof Vintage.
http://www.scooter-girls.com/gallery.html#5
JuleBox
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

Lendless, Good to know about HM. Great idea!
JuleBox
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JuleBox wrote:Eric, you may know the answer to this.. I went on GoGo Gear's Gallery on the website and it shows a slideshow of a vampire trench, a bark brown patter, blue polka dotted rain coat, a white trench.. when are all of these styles coming out? And if they are already out where can I get them?I really like the Waterproof Vintage.
http://www.scooter-girls.com/gallery.html#5
Those were all pretty much design samples and prototypes that eventually evolved into the models that were manufactured. Some ideas were left behind and some will be revisited, but none of those are headed into production in that form except maybe the vampire coat which will not be riding gear.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Just to be clear about the Armadillo, I returned the original version because the threads were coming undone and the stitching seemed subpar after about a month's wear. They replaced it with a new one, no questions asked (I think this was more my dealer's doing than mine) but it all of a sudden fit differently. The second one seemed much better in it's construction, but I had a brand new jacket that I could return for credit, so I did that and ended up with a Rev'it jacket. The armadillo was absolutely warm though and it had the best cuff design I've ever seen. Some aspects of it were simply brilliant; others much less.

Rev'it makes a parka styled jacket that's really nice and well armored. The build quality is miles better than some other brands I've seen. They might make a women's version of the Rev'it "Manhattan" that I'm selling which might be exactly what you're looking for. The only reason I'm selling it is that I like a more form fitting jacket and I've got 2 winter jackets in addition to that one (Rev'it "Dragon" and Alpinstars "Verona").

If you're heading down to Richmond anytime soon, check with Chelsea at Scoot Richmond. She's REALLY good at getting gear and she's been through the same things you have in searching for good riding gear. My wife has a Rev'it "Pearl" jacket that's stupid warm and still pretty cute.

Keep in mind my taste in jackets needs to be sturdier since my choice in bikes allows me to go at "faster than scooter" speeds on the highway. To protective clothing manufacturers, "scooter" wear usually isn't designed for higher speed abrasion resistance. Just keep that in mind when you're looking around.

Hope that helps.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

If I can suggest something completely different, I'd recommend you look at quality ski jackets. These are generally cut very attractively and designed to be used athletically and thus are not bulky (though you do usually have the option of stuffing in an extra down layer to add bulk and warmth if needed). You also get better weather resistance and less smell if it gets wet in the winter and never dries out.

A quality ski jacket will also mitigate most of the same damage as a good motorcycle jacket. In short, the ski jacket is much more useful and versatile with only a slightly higher risk - and much easier to find, test, and possibly return.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

TrackPete has a point, 'ski jackets' are better looking.
My mesh jacket is more of a pull over sweater, I can wear it under just about anything else to protect myself.
My Corrazo Shop jacket is a too big for me I can layer under it to meet the needs of the weather... By the way, anyone near by to Harrisburg, Pa with a size medium Shop jacket wanna trade for a large? As I feel mine is a touch tooo big sometimes, the 'armor' shifts about. I think I really need a Medium 'plus', or a large 'minus' :roll:
paige

Post by paige »

trackpete wrote:If I can suggest something completely different, I'd recommend you look at quality ski jackets. These are generally cut very attractively and designed to be used athletically and thus are not bulky (though you do usually have the option of stuffing in an extra down layer to add bulk and warmth if needed). You also get better weather resistance and less smell if it gets wet in the winter and never dries out.

A quality ski jacket will also mitigate most of the same damage as a good motorcycle jacket. In short, the ski jacket is much more useful and versatile with only a slightly higher risk - and much easier to find, test, and possibly return.
Umm, no? A ski jacket is not made to withstand the same circumstances as a motorcycle jacket. Get the right gear for the job.

I got the GGo Military and it fits well, like a real jacket that happens to have armor in it. Runs true to size. I was able to try on three different styles at my local scooter shop and they all fit totally differently. Keep in mind, motorcycle jackets are supposed to be more formfitting than regular coats, so it may feel too "close" in the beginning but you will get used to it, like full face helmets. I also wear a Corazzo hoody and Dainese waterproof. The best jacket is one that you will wear.
paige

Post by paige »

The people I know who wear Tucano Urbano are very slim. The Euro styling seems to favor that body type.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

paige wrote:Umm, no? A ski jacket is not made to withstand the same circumstances as a motorcycle jacket. Get the right gear for the job.
I think we all understand that a ski jacket is technically not a "riding jacket". That does not mean it doesn't have some practicality when riding. I'd rather be comfortable and warm, instead of feeling bulked up and constricted. I'd rather throw on one coat instead of several layers. Feeling constricted and taking all day to gear up and gear down is a major deterrant to riding in the cold weather. So, yes, while ski jackets may not offer armor or elbow padding, they can be very practical to riding in the cold. At the end of the day, if I or someone else lays it down bad enough to wear through a ski jacket, then we have a lot worse issues to deal with. Don't be fooled by those little pads in your riding jacket, they're not going to save your ass in a bad wreck. And I'll take Pete's advice anyday. He's a scooter God.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

However, there's always an exception to every rule, and in this case I'm it. :)

A year ago in June, in the rain, I had a woman in an SUV pull out of a blind driveway and stop right in the road in front of me (she was going to make a left, and I was coming from her left, but she was waiting for traffic to her right and didn't even see me--you know the drill :roll: ).

Anyhow, I had been going about 30 and didn't have enough time to stop safely (slippery road) so my scooter went down on it's side. I landed on my right shoulder and head and slid into the underside of her SUV (thank God she didn't move).

My armored jacket and my full faced helmet saved my bacon. My shoulder wasn't even sore and believe it or not there wasn't even dirt on my white jacket where it made contact with the pavement...just dirt from the scooter when it landed on top of me.

The ambulance guys that showed up said they were thinking the worst when they heard an accident involving a scooter had occurred, and were amazed that the only injuries I had was a quarter-size road rash on my right knee and a sore left pinky where my glove had snagged on my windshield after it busted. I don't kid myself that I wasn't lucky... :shock:

Anyhow, I only wear armored pants in the cold and rain, but I always wear an armored jacket...even in 95 degree weather. The one I wear in the winter time is similar to this one, but they quit carrying the exact style I have. It is a little bulky, but it is super toasty and rainproof. On warmer days, I remove the inside liner, and on really nice to hot days I wear a different (mesh) armored jacket.

We all choose the risks we are willing to take. :wink:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Another option is to look at snowmobile gear. In Minnesota, I wear a one piece snowmobile suit and ride to work in temps down to 26 degree, yesterday morning, and I'm perfectly warm. My wife bought a new snowmobile jacket last year and it looks great. They also make women snowmobile gear too. Good luck and stay warm.
"Dibber is Out!"
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

paige wrote:Umm, no? A ski jacket is not made to withstand the same circumstances as a motorcycle jacket. Get the right gear for the job.
Just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that a ski jacket is a good idea on a track or tearing through traffic at 120MPH, which is why I chose to use the words I did ("mitigate most of the same damage.") in the context of the thread (scooters on the street).

Moto gear is primarily designed to prevent skin abrasion due to abrupt angled impact or prolonged parallel contact with pavement while sliding - a top quality ski jacket will do the same to a point (been there, done that). Same for good ski pants and gloves.

A ski jacket will definitely not prevent you from breaking bones due to hard impact with oblique or perpendicular surfaces or going "rag doll" in an extreme impact (but nor will most motorcycle gear). As anything, we balance risk as appropriate.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>