Just Purchased '09 Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rodmyg75

Just Purchased '09 Stella

Post by rodmyg75 »

I have been cruising this site for some time now and two weeks ago I picked up a new Stella. I couldn't wait for the '10 4t. I have logged 70 miles scooting around town. I love the freedom riding a scooter provides and the looks of jealous onlookers. I am excited to join this group and look forward to many years of happy scooterin. If you live in D.C. and want to ride just hit me up with a pm.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Welcome to MB & to Stella ownership!

What color is it?
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

I went with black. I own a white civic so I wanted to go with black this time. What color is your Stella? What mods did you do? I am thinking about adding white walls, rejetting the carb, and adding a performance pipe.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I have only had my Stella about 5 weeks so no mods yet (rear rack)

Its red - I was torn between red & black - I actually drove a couple hundred miles to buy a black one but it didn't work out.
So I ended up driving a couple hundred other miles for my red one

more pics here
topic15735.html

I am thinking the white walls would look cool on mine - I think they would look even better on a black one
Last edited by ScootLemont on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

The red really pops and I like your chrome seat rack. Is that a Rattler next to your Stella?
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Yep, that's my rattler
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Congrats on your new Stella! Mucho fun. I picked mine up this past Spring, and I'm around 2500 mi. I went with a sito+ and rejet (plus p200 airfilter) around 1500 mi. and highly recommend going that route. If you DIY, be ready for countless plug chops and jet swapping (but that's half the fun). I've also done plenty of cosmetic mods - cosa seat, Vespa grips, black mirrors, black adjustable dogleg clutch and brake lever (okay, not entirely for cosmetics), black legshield trim, black rally stripes, smoke turn signals with black frames, black rear rack, black rims, piaa headlight (not exactly cosmetic), black heavy duty centerstand, black fender crest and Stella badge, Euro taillight, and a couple other tweaks, including a derisive license plate. Still wanna go with olive rims and black hubs, but I guess I'll wait until the dead of winter. This is my first 2T and I love it. Poor Buddy 125 hasn't been getting much love this summer.
Clearly.
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

This sounds impressive. Do you have a pic of your Stella w/ Mods? It has been raining the past couple of days in the DMV so I haven't ridden and starting to go through withdrawal. Is this how I am going to feel when winter strikes?
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

I posted a lousy pic in the "special edition" thread. I need to take some better pics. Basically I am trying to blacken every shiny bit on the scoot.

Don't worry about winter - ride year round. Snow and ice are the only deal breakers for me, that and I watch it when temps hit around 40 or below, you know, freezing on bridges, grates, blah blah. I'm willing to bet it won't be too long before rain doesn't stop you either, that or you get caught by the rain and don't have any choice. Before that happens, you may want to take a test ride or two close to home in the rain to see if you get a kill switch short. Have you been over to the StellaSpeed forums? If not, check it out. Tons of technical and "wish I had known that before it happened to me" info.

I should add I switched to Michelin S-1 tires. I have them on my Buddy too and really prefer them to stock. You might say I've gone overboard but this is my mid-life crisis and I'm offering no apologies. It's too much damn fun.
Clearly.
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

Nice!! Will check out Stella Speed, thanks for the heads up.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats and welcome to MB!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

the stella is great but mod wise if you go much more then a sito+ and airfilter i would replace the crank

trust me crank failures suck but then again if you wrench they come back bigger and faster then before

i have lots of custom body work on my stella thanks to wrecks

i have had her up to 70 but i had to back off my balls arent big enough to go that fast on the stock whit walls

but my list of mods are extensive
full circle race crank
24/24 carb
vsx air fitler
ggr hot reed
custom ported dr 177 kit
somonini pipe
and a ton of matching when i put every thing together

trust me when you start moding it gets expensive
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

I like the look of the Stella w/o the front fender. Has anyone ever gone bigger than 10" for tires? If so how hard is the mod? Crank failure sounds bad. I have had a couple of speedo issues that have been covered under warranty.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i cant think of any one who has put a larger dia rim on the stella

there isnt much room in the rear

sip does sell a wide tire kit that lets ou run wider tires but i havent tried it yet

my front fender mod was thanks to the crank failure it was too far gone ti even try and straighent out

if you want to take it off your best bet is going to be cut it off to take it off properl you need to remove the whoe front fork
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm pretty sure you'd have to extend the forks to get a larger tire on there.

While it's not uncommon to see vintage scoots with 8" stock tires modded (longer fork) for 10", I haven't seen anyone try just a larger front for a P/Stella. I'm sure someone, somewhere has because just about everything imaginable has been done to these scoots.

Well, not everything
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

ericalm wrote:Well, not everything…
Yep, everything. But I was really drunk at the time.
Clearly.
JunkyardDog

Post by JunkyardDog »

I just bought a new avocado Stella. It broke down at 389 miles. Hope to have it going again soon. I replaced the tires with wide whitewalls (mine came with blackwalls), replaced the seat with the brown one from Scooterworks, removed all the Stella badges (let'em guess), and will soon be installing the rear rack, with a motorcycle leather role bag on it. No plastic trunk for me. I will also be getting rid of the cat con exhaust, and replacing it with something else. I am not into performance mods, but I refuse to ride or drive a vehicle with any kind of emissions device on it. I also added a floor mat, and cut out the center section, so now it is 2 floor mats, one for each side. Jerry.
Nickie McNichols

Post by Nickie McNichols »

ScootLemont,
Congrats. That's my next scooter, too. I love it.