Top end

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

spd122

Top end

Post by spd122 »

Just picked up my Stella the other day. As of now I am satisfied with her off the line. Coming back to Brooklyn the other night I had the scooter in the mid 60's indicated (optimistic, yeah I know, cars do it too, so did my Harley). What I am looking for is a little more top end out of her. Occasionally I may want to ride her on the parkway for a while without having to keep it wide open. What modifications would be least invasive and enable a little more top end without having the throttle wide open?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Cylinder kit?
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

Fit a P200 engine, or tune the heck out of her. Tuning is best done with care, check out stellapeed.com for good advice. If you really want to maintain those speeds though you may need to kit the engine and get an expansion pipe, I suggest the 226 Hot Wing, tons of fun. Plus you will need a new crank and good (not Indian) bearings.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
laxer

Post by laxer »

Disclaimer: I don't now, nor have I ever owned a stella. However, I've heard great things about the Sito+ exhaust. The Stella/P-series has been around for so long that there's TONS of support for souping it up. Good luck!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

laxer wrote:Disclaimer: I don't now, nor have I ever owned a stella. However, I've heard great things about the Sito+ exhaust. The Stella/P-series has been around for so long that there's TONS of support for souping it up. Good luck!
:+!: But don't forget to rejet. Checking out Stella Speed is good advice
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

Sito is a good place to start, with of course a P200 air filter(De-blue is not as cool) and what is know to stellaspeeders as a Bald John jet stack. Standard first mods to get more from the engine. Very good down low torque and still looks stock-ish, not too much louder with a minor increase to top end. Here are step by step instructions, though I would forgo the de-blue and just buy a P200 filter.

http://forums.stellaspeed.com/viewtopic ... 91&start=0
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

I went with the Sito+, rejetting per Bald John, and a P200 air filter. Low end torque is greatly improved. Hills (there are many here) are no longer a problem. I can reliably hold 60 mph actual (give or take a hill or headwind) which means I am okay on most 55mph roadways, but no way I am touching an interstate. BTW, my Stella got a lot throatier with the Sito+ and sounds great when it burbles. It also exudes a delightful blue haze particularly on cold starts which I didn't get with the stock pipe. Although most of my riding is city commuting, I am tuned rich for longer and faster country joy rides. Make sure you get a nice assortment of main jets to play with before you start rejetting and a handful of spare plugs. Good to have around in all events. I'm saving the crank / bearing replacement (which I am inclined to believe is preventative maintenance on any but maybe a stock Stella) for icicle weather.
Clearly.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

ok i wouldnt do much more then a sito+ rejet and vsx air filter with out a crank up grade

yeah i would say that mid 60s is very optimistic

with a 24/24 carb vsx filter and somonini pipe i was cruising at 60 gps untill the crank took a crap on me at 60 mph

now with a boat load of work she will do 70 at 3/4 throttle but then again i have a mazzy crank i custom ported a dr 177 kit 24/24 carb vsx filter ggr hot reeds somonini pipe

and a boat load of time custom porting and matching every thing
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
spd122

Post by spd122 »

Nice, funny exhaust, jets and air filter were the first things I did to my last bike as well.