Who's the real biker

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dakotamouse

Who's the real biker

Post by dakotamouse »

This weekend my husband and I attended an ABATE family weekend rally. We had a great time and met lots or really nice people. I brought by Buddy 150 and Myron brought his 750 Honda Shadow.

I got a bit of good natured ribbing about my scoot from the die hard Harley guys but I also got a bit of respect due to the way she kept up with the pack on the ride.........55 mph road.

From talking to people I noticed that many of the women had only had their bikes out a few times this summer.........now I ask ...............who is the real biker? The gal who brings out her Harley only to rallys or the gal who rides everyday to work and looks for excuses to take the scoot for errands? :roll: I got the impression that many of these gals were overpowered by the weight of their bikes and that they actually feared cornering.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Who da biker?
You da biker!

I often feel the same way. We may get snubbed by the Harley crowd; or at least most of them (not that I actually give a poop) but I ride to ride.
Not to impress anyone or make any sort of statement.

I ride year-round in Denver unless there is ice or snow on the road or in the forecast for the day. On most days mid-October through May or April, I am one of just a few 2-wheelers on the road. I never see the bikers out in cold weather. I ride because I choose to. I have a truck I could drive if I want but I prefer my scooter.

Now, this is not meant as a generalization. There is a small percentage of biker-types that "get it" and they will be the ones to give you the wave and you can tell they respect anyone who is out enjoying the life.

Peace out and ride on.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

most of the women I see riding hardleys look like they have a stick shoved up their arse and have a death grip on the bars. hardleys are not well designed motorcycles, unless you like your motorcycles designed in the 50's.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

but the question is..... do you actually want to be referred to as a biker?

probably not.

scooter girl. not biker chick.
cheez37

Re: Who's the real biker

Post by cheez37 »

dakotamouse wrote:.........now I ask ...............who is the real biker? ...
(Begin rant)

A bigger question is "Who cares?" Why do you need a title like "biker chick" or "scooter girl"? Are you happy riding your scooter? If the answer is yes, that should be enough. If not, buy something else.

I don't bother to compare myself to other people, let alone other 2-wheeled riders. People my think that I'm crazy for wearing ATGATT in this weather or not riding at all, but I think they are just as crazy for riding on busy streets with a half helmet and flip flops.

All the insults the MC & scooter communities sling around is just crap that gives those people a feeling of superiority; that their choice of 2-wheeled vehicle validates them as a person and makes them better than you.

I couldn't care less. I have a great life: I'm in good health, I have a wonderful wife and family, and I work hard. That surely beats being considered a "real biker" any day.

(End Rant)
TVB

Post by TVB »

JSharpPhoto wrote:but the question is..... do you actually want to be referred to as a biker?
probably not.
scooter girl. not biker chick.
I prefer to be called a "biker chick".
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I've got to think that South Florida is at least near the top of the list of "weekend Harley riders" and I agree, those of us out there every day on tiny scooters, navigating rush hour traffic, etc., are more "real" riders than they are.

I also agree that I don't care!!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I kissed a girl that rides a Harley the other day. Just doing my part to improve Scooter/Harley relations. No need to thank me... :lol:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I know a guy(actually an ex boss) that got his endorsement...but his wife will not allow him to buy a bike. (Once heaskedme how I convinced Diva Bocette to "allow" me to buy the Burgman...my response..."what the f*** are you talking about")

Recently I have run into him wearing a HD jacket so I asked what bike he got. "ummm...none yet..."

To him I said..."Dude...you can't be a biker without a motorcycle".

I am NOT a biker...I am a Scooterist!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Don't get me wrong! I believe you should ride what you love..........but don't look down on someone else's ride! Like I said most everyone was very nice to me but I could feel that underlying current of my ride not being a real bike.

Whatever!!! :P
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I kissed a girl that rides a Harley the other day. Just doing my part to improve Scooter/Harley relations. No need to thank me... :lol:
Skootz, you rock. Please tell me it was Jillian Michaels, or another "biker chick" with abs you could sharpen your knives on!

My 2 cents, I'm not hating on other riders, whether they ride 1 day a year, or every day every season like I. I have no tolerance for the apparent "weekend warrior" that talks $hit to me about riding a scooter, and I especially have no respect for non-riders of ANY 2 wheeler other than a huffy talking $hit as well. And just because you bought a pair of steel toed boots with the HD logo, a t-shirt from the HD store at the Disney Village, or the F-250 HD edition by no means makes you a biker, you need a bike for that. That just makes you a wannabee, or a "hipster".
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

Just be who you are and know what you want.

I cannot care less for these week-end yuppies that have spare 40K to get these bikes including the new leather gear.

I just care for my ride, enjoy my ride and have fun. I have a vintage Harley that I have been kicking around for the past 20 years, I ride a vintage vespa, and I ride every single day my blackjack to work and any errand that I can come up with. I enjoy every vehicle I ride and honestly can't care less for the yuppie harley guys. Those people do not even have the slightest clue what omy Harley is because it is over 40 yearsr old and is not available for purchase in the dealership.

I actually have riden my Blackjack to many biker events on purpose to see what kind of reaction I would get out and as excpeted the big mouths have their big mouths flapping without knowing what comes out and my friends who care for the ride actually gave me nice compliments on the Blackjack.

Just my two cents.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

Live and love. It's easy to rag on the Harley people that just bought into an image (vs the hardcore ones) but what's important is that they're trying to find happiness and enjoy life.

Part of me looks at the guys in their badass enduro bikes up here on the Dalton Highway and wants to say they aren't real badasses because they have such awesome bikes but anyone can be an idiot with a scooter eh? ;x
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

I am not a biker, I am not Scooterist, I am a rider!

I have owned scooters and motorcycles. For me it's more about the two wheeled journey than what it's done on. It about the places I have been, the sights I have scene and the people I have met.

Ride what you enjoy, enjoy what you ride. (and ride it as often as you can)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

dakotamouse wrote:Don't get me wrong! I believe you should ride what you love..........but don't look down on someone else's ride! Like I said most everyone was very nice to me but I could feel that underlying current of my ride not being a real bike.

Whatever!!! :P
i bet if you had a Blackjack with the Prima pipe all the "bikers" would have been like "oh now THAT is a cool scoot where can i get one? hey Bubba look at that 'li' lady's scooter!" :roll:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hell, I'm a scooterist and have no qualms about saying so. Don't get me wrong—I love motorcycles, have owned one before and will someday again. And I've got no problems with people who ride motorcycles simply because they ride motorcycles.

But what's wrong with being proud of riding a scooter and having a unique appreciation for this type of vehicle, its history and its future. I <3 Scooters! Say it loud!
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I kissed a girl that rides a Harley the other day. Just doing my part to improve Scooter/Harley relations. No need to thank me... :lol:
You sure kiss a lot of girls. I kiss a girl who rides a Buddy every day!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:... Please tell me it was Jillian Michaels, or another "biker chick" with abs you could sharpen your knives on!
Ha! Nope, there's just been the one Jillian sighting. But I think my cutlery is fine hands :)
ericalm wrote: You sure kiss a lot of girls.
There's a joke about frog's and princesses in here somewhere :lol:
ericalm wrote:I kiss a girl who rides a Buddy every day!
Well we should all be so lucky :)

It is so funny to me the whole MC vs Scooter posturing some people engage in. I feel very fortunate that here in SoCal, at least as far as my experience goes, for the most part every rider waves at every other rider and just enjoys the day. Sure there are some people who are exceptions and cop an attitude, but I just feel sorry for them because they are missing out on what to me is one of the greatest pleasures of riding – the people you share the fun with.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:It is so funny to me the whole MC vs Scooter posturing some people engage in. I feel very fortunate that here in SoCal, at least as far as my experience goes, for the most part every rider waves at every other rider and just enjoys the day. Sure there are some people who are exceptions and cop an attitude, but I just feel sorry for them because they are missing out on what to me is one of the greatest pleasures of riding – the people you share the fun with.
Your disposition is awfully sunny post-smooching. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

Who's the real biker

Depends on ones definition, I think we all are. But Skootz has got it going on.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Commuting everyday on a scooter makes you one tough chick. I'm definately ok with the title "scooterist" or "scooterista". I've posted on here before that both my parents ride Harley's. My mom who is similar in size to me (small) rides a V-Rod. She made me hold up the bike and wheel it around to get a feel for having to have control of a large bike before I got my Buddy. Let me tell you it's much nicer to know I've only got 230ish lbs to hold up rather than the 600lbs she does. When she gets back from a long ride her hand is literally locked in the clutch positon. BUUUTTT she still says she feels safer on her Harley than my scooter. Go figure! To each their own and let's all just get along!!! LOL!