helmets n pipes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lou76

helmets n pipes

Post by lou76 »

i am about a week and a half from purchasing a buddy... just a little bit excited... i definitely want to get a full face helmet, as phoenix is a freakin battle zone on the roadways, but i do not know much about helmets or even where to start looking... any good sites to check out?
lou76

Post by lou76 »

never mind, i just saw the other thread... :oops:
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Hey Lou,
I just got my Buddy last wk and also a full face helmet. I went to a large bike shop I'd heard of for yrs and the guy was very helpful w/fit. The one I thought fit well the sales person took hold of it and gently pulled down easily until the top of the opening rested on the bridge of my nose. Not good. I certainly would have bought a helmet that was too big if I hadn't asked for help.
Point being, I'd pay a bit more to be able to actually try them on. Then maybe find the same thing online if you're looking for a better price.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Lou, the Natural Guy is absolutely right...every helmet manufacturer has a slightly different idea of what each size should fit like. Go to ANY motorcycle shop, they will have a good selection. I've been to a number of the shops in Phx since I live in Cottonwood and they all have quite a few. One that stands out in my mind is the Honda/Yamaha dealer there off of, I think it is Bell Rd. on the west side.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Of course you have to try them on locally, but then to get the best price without comparison:
http://www.helmetshop.com/
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I definitely agree that you should try on several helmets before you buy...

After you get a good idea of how helmets fit you and how different manufacturers differ in their sizing, you can pretty safely buy one from online if you so desire (you definitely can't beat the selection of the online market, but it sucks if you don't get a product that fits you properly, especially where safety gear is concerned).

Also, something to keep in mind is something that I've heard from a lot of guys who ride motorcycles, most notably, one of my old professors: It's just fine to buy a $50 helmet if you've got a $50 head. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Yep, the fit is totally the secret to happy helmet ownership. If you have a big shop that has a good selection of helmets, definitely try a bunch of helmets from different manufacturers until you find one that fits your head shape and size. The way to tell if it suits the shape of your hear (round or oblong) is if there are "pressure points" where it's pressing too hard against, say your forehead but not against your ears. If that happens and the helmet is the right size, you're probably trying to put an oblong head into a round helmet. If the helmet isn't even making a snug fit with your forehead, but tries to tear your ears off going on, then you're trying to put a round head into an oblong helmet. Try a few helmets on, you'll see what I mean.

Oh yeah, once you get the right shape, here's the deal with the fit. A brand new helmet should feel snug, but not tight. The padding will compress a little the first few days you wear it and then the helmet should fit perfectly as the padding conforms to your head. The idea is, in an accident, you don't want your head moving inside the helmet. You want the padding to immediately (but smoothly) decelerate your noggin with as few G's as possible.

And, after all this, the best way to survive a crash is always to avoid it.
Last edited by jrsjr on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bert

Flip up lense

Post by Bert »

What can you tell me? Is it bad to have a flipup lense?
Havn't scootered since '42
vitaminC

Re: Flip up lense

Post by vitaminC »

Bert wrote:What can you tell me? Is it bad to have a flipup lense?
All full-face helmets have flip-up face shields, do you mean flip-face helmets? Those are fine so long as you be sure to get one from a reputable maker. They are not Snell tested, so look for one that meets CE standards if possible. I've heard good things about Schuberth, Nolan, and Arai flip-face lids. As with any helmet, fit is paramount- if it's uncomfortable you won't put it on, and a helmet in your attic is of very little use if you need it (just ask Ben Roethlisberger! :P ).
scarabmonkey

Post by scarabmonkey »

www.helmetharbor.com in Chandler carries EVERYTHING!!!

Extremely helpful too...
lou76

Post by lou76 »

yeah, helmetharbor.... was well worth the drive... got a scorpion ex700... good looking out...