Center Stand Techniques

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JoshWED

Center Stand Techniques

Post by JoshWED »

So I'm a bit at a loss as to the proper technique of the old school (non-lever type) center stands. Twice tonight I felt impending multi-vehicle domino effects just seconds away!

Anyone have best techniques? I don't want to keep grabbing the passenger strap!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

While straddling the scooter get the center stand down with either foot and hold it there, pull back on the grips, it will pop right up.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

I was talking to Eric and he stands to the left side and grabs the front of the seat. Tried that one this morning...and will try the straddle this evening.

Anyone ever installed a side stand?
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I have a side stand on mine. I just am not strong enough/wide enough reach to comfortably hold the center stand in place and pull back on the bike. The center stand was about $40.00 and was fairly easy to install.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My method, for the sake of posterity:

I push the stand down with my foot and make sure that both sides of the stand are down. Planting my foot behind the stand, I grab the front of the seat and pull back.

Guess I'm just used to doing it off the scooter! Weaned on moderns. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

Eric's method worked well this morning when I tried it. Front of the seat was a good place to grab and I'm used to this position from the moderns too :)
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i love the hd center stand with the place to put your foot the scoot even feels more stable when i leave it and no rubber boots to loose
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I use Eric's method except I grab the taint strap rather than the front of the seat.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

BuddyRaton wrote:While straddling the scooter get the center stand down with either foot and hold it there, pull back on the grips, it will pop right up.
+1
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

so i've got the hang of putting it up on the stand now.

then in a moment of total face palm moment I had some trouble getting it down and it started to get off balance. I'm only 5'6" and 135 lbs...yanked it up before it fell, and sprained my throttle wrist! Doh! :fp: Doc says it should be ok in a week or so though :)
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

JoshWED wrote:so i've got the hang of putting it up on the stand now.

then in a moment of total face palm moment I had some trouble getting it down and it started to get off balance. I'm only 5'6" and 135 lbs...yanked it up before it fell, and sprained my throttle wrist! Doh! :fp: Doc says it should be ok in a week or so though :)
:shock: wow, sorry about your wrist, that sucks :(

getting it down? for me that the easy part- Just move it forward.
In fact, I actually think it’s “too easy” that I'm worried. I feel mine’d be in danger of someone sitting on it (not trying to be a vandal, but more like wanting to look cool and have a little fun while I am inside working or eating dinner or watching a movie at a theater) and they accidentally roll it off the center stand and then either drop it or gently lay on its side because they can’t figure out how the stand works (like most people).

That’s why I was interested in a center stand “locking system” for the stella, so it could "stablely" (not a word I know) rock back and forth and maintian it's 3 point Balance or "tripod effect", if you will, and not come lose and fall over. -For similar reasons the buddy center stand was created.
viewtopic.php?t=6523&highlight=locking+pin

so far no ideas yet on how to lock the stella center stand
~Lovelandstella
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

If you get the reinforced P centerstand http://www.scooterworks.com/Centerstand ... 9C425.aspx from scooterworks, it's easy to pull up on the stand and huge pain to get it off. Which is what you want in a centerstand, right?
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

yeah i'm just getting used to a heavier scoot...neither up or down is a huge problem...just getting to know the quirks and efficiencies. apparently the hard way.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

To get off the center stand straddle the scooter and pull up on the grips. Lift the front wheel and the stand will pop right up!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

[quote="Lovelandstella] That’s why I was interested in a center stand “locking system” for the stella, so it could "stablely" (not a word I know) rock back and forth and maintian it's 3 point Balance or "tripod effect", if you will, and not come lose and fall over. -For similar reasons the buddy center stand was created.
viewtopic.php?t=6523&highlight=locking+pin

so far no ideas yet on how to lock the stella center stand[/quote]

Just leave it in 1st to prevent it from rolling.
Last edited by BuddyRaton on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.teamscootertrash.com

Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

lmyers wrote:If you get the reinforced P centerstand http://www.scooterworks.com/Centerstand ... 9C425.aspx from scooterworks, it's easy to pull up on the stand and huge pain to get it off. Which is what you want in a centerstand, right?
BuddyRaton wrote:Just leave it in 1st to prevent it from rolling.
I lIke both of these! Thank you very much! :D
~Lovelandstella
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:While straddling the scooter get the center stand down with either foot and hold it there, pull back on the grips, it will pop right up.
this + me = fail (and almost fall!)

Maybe I need to practice. I have seen little girls do this. Children. Munchkins. Large squirrels. Yet I cannot.
BuddyRaton wrote:Just leave it in 1st to prevent it from rolling.
Just be mindful of whether it's in gear or neutral when you start it. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

almost fall is exactly what I did to get this busted wrist. -1
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

<------ ps...there she is