Stalking my Mechanic

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rodmyg75

Stalking my Mechanic

Post by rodmyg75 »

I have owned my '09 Stella for a month now and for the past three weekends I have seen my dealer/mechanic. The first weekend was to pickup the scooter and the past two weekends were to fix odometer issues.

Yesterday I rode home from work in monsoon like conditions. I pulled over and cut her off for about 10 minutes. I got back on her and she started right up. When I got home I parked her just as it stopped raining :?.

This morning she was damp. I dried her off, she started up and then the engine died. I tried electric starting to no avail. I then tried to kick start but nothing happened. After about 20 minutes I gave up and drove to work :evil: .

I have researched this forum and StellaSpeed and know it could be a kill switch issue, spark plug, carb, etc.

I am upset that I will probably have to spend another weekend at the mechanic. She only has 140 miles on her. Oh did I mention I called my mechanic before it started raining because I didn't know how to kick start. I am such a noob. My mechanic is probably going to stop taking my calls.

What should I do? I suffer from mechaniphilia
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Did you check for spark? Pull the plug out, reconnect it to the ignition wire, then hold the electrode near a metal screw on the engine, then (Carefully, holding the insulator cap, not the plug, you can get hella shocked) GENTLY kick it over and see if there's a blue spark arcing to the screw/bolt.

If not, could be a bad plug, grounded killswitch, or a problem with the ignition wiring or CDI. If there is, it's probably an air/fuel problem. (is your fuel tap on? I've done dumber things)

Did you try again when everything dried off?

Is the starter turning over? (clickclickclick)

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

I was hoping when I got home from work today, she would magically start. But if that thinking doesn't pan out, I will definitely try the spark plug test.

The fuel was on and the choke was out this morning. I am hoping it is not the kill switch, plug or CDI. BTW what is the CDI?

The starter was definitely clicking, battery is healthy.

Thanks
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Was this previous test with the electric or kick start? I have an (optimistic) feeling it'll start up again. Then again, I haven't gotten my Stella wet yet, much less drenched.

It's possible you just got water into your air flow system.

The CDI basically stores a charge then delivers it to the spark plug, causing it to fire.

The kill switch on the Stella (unlike most other scoots) temporarily disrupts flow to the engine instead of shutting it off. If it was shorted or broken, it would most likely be stuck in the "off" position.

But, no fear, all of these things are pretty easy fixes and should a part be bad it'll be under warranty.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okay, here's my dumb Stella noob question that I'm going to hide in this thread:

What's the point of turning the fuel tap off? I forget to do this all the time. Duh.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well my bet is that the kill switch is bad due to riding in the heavy rain for some reason once they get wet and dry back out they dont like to work any more

test for spark and if there is no spark i will put money that the kill swithc is the issue
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:Okay, here's my dumb Stella noob question that I'm going to hide in this thread:

What's the point of turning the fuel tap off? I forget to do this all the time. Duh.
You'll get in the habit of doing it.

I don't know about the 4T carbs. On the 2T carbs if the float needle and seat are worn fuel can continue to flow after the engine is shut off.

The main thing to remember is to turn it back on! Actually most people get pretty good at it while riding. I've run out the main fuel, pulled the clutch, reached down and turned to reserve, dumped the clutch and had it fire back up on the fly!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

Still not starting. I don't know how I am going to get this scoot to the dealership? Tried the spark plug test, not sure if I did it right but I did not get any action.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

ericalm wrote:What's the point of turning the fuel tap off? I forget to do this all the time. Duh.
As Buddy Raton said, it stops gas from running into the carb when the bike's not running. If the needle and float are working properly, it's not a problem, but once they start to wear, it's a lifesaver.

And if you don't ride a lot, it's awesome to be able to turn off the gas and let the bike run until all the gas in the float bowl runs out, then you have a clean and dry carb with no gas sitting in it to evaporate, leave sediment and residue, and clog up the carb.

I'm pretty ignorant about modern scooters, but i guess probably they have mechanical fuel pumps, or better designed carbs, or simply don't depend on gravity to feed the fuel so the first point is probably moot, but i'd still love to be able to run the gas out of my carb when I know I won't be riding for a while.

If you ride daily, there's probably no need to turn it off. It is nice to have the reserve, though. (always fun to stall out, flip it to reverse, and bump-start the engine all while cruising at 50mph)
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

the modern ones use a vacume activated petcock
actualy my 78 yamaha xs 1100 has a hybred shut off you can manual switch between on reserve and prime on and reserve only let fuel go down when the enigne is running and prime lets it go down all the time
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

Stella is off to the shop. I will miss her. I called my insurance company and used Roadside Assistance. They were here in less than 1/2 hour and they brought a flat bed truck. I guess they figured she was a car. Will let you know the diagnosis.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

illnoise wrote:It is nice to have the reserve, though. (always fun to stall out, flip it to reverse, and bump-start the engine all while cruising at 50mph)
As I've discovered: you can use the electric start while rolling!
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

It was the kill switch. Another '09 with this issue. It is now fixed and modified so I can ride in the rain. I drove her for 2 hours after I picked her up and realized no matter how mad I get at her, I still love her.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

rodmyg75 wrote:Stella is off to the shop. I will miss her. I called my insurance company and used Roadside Assistance. They were here in less than 1/2 hour and they brought a flat bed truck. I guess they figured she was a car. Will let you know the diagnosis.
why didnt you use genuines road side assitance
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
easy

Post by easy »

i wouldnot use the starter while moving. just have key turned to the run position and pop the cultch
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

How does their RA work? I just called my insurance company.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

you call the mumber on the card they come and pick it up and take it to the nearest genuine dealer
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

Warranty, you don't need all worked up if your're bike is undeld yr warranty. like the previous guy told you you have the Genuine Roadside assistance that came with your warranty, I am actually surprised that your dealer or mechanic did not point that out and tried to ease you.
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

I hope that everything turns out to be ok for you. I can only imagine how frustrating that is when you bought a new scoot and you have problems with it. But again the dealer should take care of you.
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

Stella back and working. Now if only my battery would stay charged. I rode her for two hours yesterday and 1 hour today. On Sunday I rode for about 60 miles on roads of 45-55 mph. Today she wouldn't allow me to use the electric start. I thought the battery would have charged with all my riding yesterday? What gives or is this normal?
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

nope heck i can leave mine sit for weeks without a tender and i dont have any issues

but make sure your ground strap on the engine side is tight

i had an issue with the estart not working and it was a loose ground wire
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
rodmyg75

Post by rodmyg75 »

So what does this ground strap look like? I used a battery tender on the battery thinking it would solve the electric start problem...it did not. Would hate to call my mechanic again this week.