Got the Pink and the Black is Gone... Sidecar?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

glamourgirrrl

Got the Pink and the Black is Gone... Sidecar?

Post by glamourgirrrl »

So I got lucky, I bought the Pink Stella from Idaho. It was delivered and it's a beauty. Sold my black stella doubled my money!!! So now I'm thinking a sidecar is in my very immediate future. I've read the threads on stella speed and it seems that the sidecar makes a more stable ride. However its sounds like I'm going to need some engine mods to pull it off. Anyone ride with a sidecar I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well my test ride was on a pink one with a side car

yes it could definalty use some help under the cowel power wise with the side car

it is also a completly diffrent beast to ride no more leaning into the corners

and i bet every time you take it some where you will have people crawling all over it

but it is also very important to have some one who knows about side cars set it up if things are off by just a little bit your scoot will handel like crap
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ffiB_uoVx1E&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ffiB_uoVx1E&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yeah, don't buy a sidecar until you've driven one, they're neat and attention getting but it *really* changes the riding experience.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I'm not so much about the leaning into turns thing. Will the side car make the scooter more stable? Like riding a trike? I'm afraid with no shifting experience I'm going to get flustered and drop the stella. Seems like a sidecar might give me a learning curve. I would be taking it to a place that does sidecar's on Stella's quite a bit. I think they will get the set up perfect. I want to be able to get the scooter up to 55mph if I have to. So what engine mods am I looking at?

Sito+
ReJet
De-Blue

Is that enough?
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

with a side car no
with a side car about teh only way to get to 55 is with a kit and a better crank

you would be suprised at how stable and easy the stella is t shift you just have to get used to the kercunk it makes when it shifts
remember if it doesnt want to go into first roll back a little bit or try and slip it into first as you are crwaling up to the sign or light

in stock trim with a side car a stell will do about 45 indicated you might get to 50 indicated with the mods but the sito+ doesnt give you much up top it gives you better torrque

so figure if you want to do 55 with a side car you have to build one that will do 65 without a side car
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Ok so please tell me what I need to rebuild? I've been reading Stella Speed all day and I'm more confused than ever. Keep in mind I weigh 115lbs and my passenger is my daughter weighs about 80lbs. or the dog that weighs 10lbs. I would be taking it into the shop for the work. My dad doesn't feel comfortable doing the enigine mods on this with the sidecar. (he doesn't want anything bad to happen while audrey is in the sidecar). I'm good with spending some money, but want bang for the buck!

Thanks in advance. I'm afraid of Stella Speed (they r MEAN sometimes...)
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

your weight and the kid and dogs weight isnt the big issue here

its the weight and wind resitance of the side car

yes i know they can be a bit rought over there at times

first thing is a crank
i have had good luck with the mazzy full circle that you get from scooter works

then you need a kit
if they do just a bit of work to the dr kit it is a great kit and has loads of power (on my current set up i can hit 70+ indicated i dont have big enough balls to push 70)
if the transfer ports are enlarged and a good polish job done that will suit your needs just fine

the case is split so the reed block is off i would add a ggr hot reed that way if you do have reed failure you wont destroy your engine(i have seen it on many moded 50s that the reeds fail and destroy the engine)

with the kit i would consider the sito+ exhasut its cheap and quite if it doesnt work out you can always get a higher reving pipe

instead of deblueing just get the vsx air filter that way its already deblued and has both the holes in the heart area

i would also consider a bigger carb also the 24/24

do you have a shop in mind to do the work or are you considering pulling the engine and sending it out

you could always consider a p200 swap http://www.americanscootercenter.com/in ... th=1_40_42
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

Glam, u know I got your bak. If you choose to get a side car then ( i think ) you should choose to take your time with it, like a VW bus. I understand you wanna get up to speed fast, but you don't need speed when u got friends in your scoot enjoying the ride. If you want the side car, get it, then figure out what it needs as far as mods. In all honesty, you should learn your ride b 4 you consider your self taxi worthy. Your a pimp and i love you. You don't need speed when life is good
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

My experience with riding/driving a sidecar was that it was LESS stable than a Stella without. Because the sidecar's wheel is neither powered nor does it have a brake, it causes very disturbing reactions when changing speed. When braking it would pull real hard to the left, and then pull right when accelerating.

It you don't have good arm and shoulder strength, you'll find the sidecar to be quite the work out. Since you can't lean the scooter, you have to work quite a bit to turn. Also, because of the sidecar's wheel not being powered, you always have to work to keep the rig going straight. You don't ever get to relax.

That being said, there is nothing cooler on the road than a Stella with a sidecar. DEFINITELY find someone who will let you try theirs before you take the sidecar plunge. They are not for everyone.

Howard
Last edited by Howardr on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Wow! Good info. I really appreciate the feedback. My dad said sidecars are awful to ride with too. But I read a couple of things on stella speed that indicated they made the ride easier. I definately don't want to endanger my daughter or my BFF (gracie the dog). I just loooove the look of a sidecar. I thought it might make using the scooter for work more of an option. I did take the Stella out for a ride. Didn't crash it, but didn't get too far either. My dad is going to supervise my shifting next weekend and he thinks I'll be good to go in 30 minutes or so. I'm going to look into engine mods today....
lilmyk

Post by lilmyk »

My opinion/dream for a sidecar rig:

1) The Engine
A P200 Engine is going to be the most reliable and strongest.
Either the Pinasco or DR Kit for a Stella Motor
I like the Pinasco because it is aluminum.
Match the case to the cylinder, port and polish.

2) The Crankshaft
You will get more low end power out of a full cut crank.
More top end out of a race cut crank.

3) The Carburator
I would recommend a 24/24 Carb.
Maybe even a Vortex modified Carb.

4) The Reeds
Go with the GGR Reeds and modify the Reed Block accordingly.

5) The Transmission
Add a T5 4th gear.

6) The Exhaust
Sito+ or if you can afford it get one of the Vintage 226 Pipes.

6) Clutch Gear
20 Tooth will get you moving sooner
A Malossi upgear kit will get you to a higher speed.

It all depends on how you want to ride.
If you want to get to your top speed as fast as you can, build it for torque.
If you do not care how long it takes you to go fast, build it for a higher top end.

A sidecar rig is more stable sitting still.
Once you get moving, it takes more effort.

If your dad has mechanical skills, let him do the work, it is not hard to do.
Just be patient.

And I would not let someone else mount my sidecar, I would want to make sure it was perfect, there are some good tutorials out there.

Either way, sidecars are cool, but very different to drive.
If you can live with slower speeds, just get one and change things later.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yeah, it's NOT more stable. I feel like you're safer on two wheels. You won't fall over, sure, but it's just not as maneuverable and it really does kinda suck the fun out of riding, for me anyway. Even if you're not a showy rider, physics is on your side on a motorcycle, they're really more stable than you'd think. Until you bolt on a giant, heavy tumor on the side of it.

I mean, yeah, they're fun and attention getting, but it means you can't get it in the back of most pickup trucks, it hogs half your garage, destroys your mileage and engine life, and most of the time you'll be riding with it empty. (It's fun but terrifying to ride in, too. People will want to try it out, but most people are not going to want to ride in it regularly. Some dogs dig it, but some dogs won't go near it.

Again, that's just my opinion, I'm just saying, don't drop all that cash without being absolutely sure that you enjoy it.

Bb.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I think the scooter store owner in Sedona is willing to give me a ride on a stella with a sidecar. Not the same as doing it myself but might help my see if a side car is right for me... In my head a sidecar seems AWESOME! In real life maybe not so much...
lilmyk

Post by lilmyk »

I plan on getting one for the sole reason I own a Doggie Daycare and have to transport my dogs back and forth, and would prefer to use a sidecar.
Plus it will be painted to match my business and have the company logo on it. Great advertising.

I will always have a non-sidecar scooter to use when I do not need to haul my dogs around.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

lilmyk wrote:I will always have a non-sidecar scooter to use when I do not need to haul my dogs around.
Yeah, that's a good point, a sidecar would be awesome if you had another scooter without one. : )

Bryan
lilmyk

Post by lilmyk »

Yeah, right now I have 2 Stellas and a P200, only one Stella is running.
The other needs a new stator.

Once I get it running, I will be selling it or the P to buy a sidecar.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I've got my Buddy to ride if I want to go sidecar less...