Car make/model for VersaHaul/TiltaRack?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

polianarchy

Car make/model for VersaHaul/TiltaRack?

Post by polianarchy »

Howdy! I'm in the market for a new automobile, and I'm trying to not buy a truck because their gas mileage stinks. However, I would like to use it to trailer my scooter every so often. I'd probably use it in this capacity a few times a year for some far-away rallies.

I would like to know your experiences with using a VersaHaul, TiltaRack, or similar style of scooter hauling rack. Please share the make & model of your car, how you mounted the trailer hitch, and if you're happy with the set-up. The more pictures & details, the better. Thank you!
ModBud #442
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

No experience with bumper mounted haulers. After researching them, I went with a light trailer. I think you will find that the answer is that a Versahauler or similar rear mounted rack puts too much weight on the rear frame and suspension of a light vehicle. You either have to step up to a heavier vehicle with higher weight capacity (and poorer fuel mileage) or consider a small trailer. Most cars can pull a light trailer with 1 or 2 scooters. That set-up does not exceed the load limits of even the lightest class of hitch (i.e. less than a 1000 lbs total weight and a tongue weight of 50 to 100 lbs).
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

+1 to that. Since you're in Philly (well below the snowbelt... ignore the freak storm this past winter) you might want to consider a 2WD utility vehicle. Rogue, CR-V, RAV4 etc. With a 4cyl they get close to 30mpg hwy and over 20mpg city.
EZPZ #65
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

For a tilt a rack or versa hauler you will need a class 3 hitch and receiver. The rating of the hitch and capacity of the vehicle is what will be very important.

In general hitches are designed to carry 10% of the rated weight on the toung. So lets say you have a 3,000 lb trailer...you should have 300 lbs on the toung.

Now it is about to get more complicated. With either of those choices the carrier is going to be extended out from the receiver. This results in a cantilever effect. While the mass will be the same...when you go over a bump it will exert much more force on the hitch than an equivalent trailer toung weight.

I have used a tilt-a-rack on a pick up with a class 3 rated to tow 7,000 lbs and a motor home with a class 3 rated to tow 5,000 lbs

All this being said...I do know someone that uses one on a Prius. While I haven't looked at the numbers I think I would be terrified to try that.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Use the search button, noob!
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

illnoise wrote:Use the search button, noob!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

poli,

Have you considered just get whatever car you want, add a hitch, and when you need to haul a scoot, rent a trailer from UHaul? If you're only going to use it 3-4 times a year, why should that dictate a car you use for so much more? Trailer rental is often less than 20 bucks.

I love my little Honda Fit (even though I drive it less than 100 miles a year, but someone else in my household who is a bit wimpy when it rains does) and I got a hitch off eBay for it for about $70. I don't even have to use a trailer when I find a little scoot like a CT90. It fits inside the car! I get about 38 mpg and people still ask what it is. It also cements my HondaHore title.

By the way, where the hell are you parking all these wheeled vehicles in Philly?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Y'all, I'm MOVING (I hope). Also, I *did* search the forum! No one talked about the cars they used their VersaHaulers with. HARRUMPH, I SAY. BRB, off to PM a mod.... :lol:
Last edited by polianarchy on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ModBud #442
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

siobhan wrote:By the way, where the hell are you parking all these wheeled vehicles in Philly?
Texas. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself there!!!) :D
ModBud #442
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

thats just how I roll.
Attachments
129193679823090833.jpg
129193679823090833.jpg (32.59 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Not Cali? :(

Are you shooting for a new or used vehicle?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

My brother has a versahauler but he uses it on a full size diesel truck. We looked at them and went with a Trailer in a Bag instead. Small trailer is better if you don't want a large SUV or truck.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

modern sedeans do not have a strong enough rear suspension to handle th a hitch mounted scooter hauler

infact it can even get a bit hairy with some small trucks and suvs as it pulls weight off the front wheels the more you load the rear suspension down

thus making it harder to steer and brake

if you get a car you will need a trailer plain and simple unless you go with something like an older caprice classic or a crown victoria
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

You really should get a trailer because you have two scooters to drag around.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

YES! move close to rosa and i so we can visit you!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TX = closer to New Orleans for Amerivespa 2011. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

A Buddy riding friend of ours has a Jeep Cherokee and a VersaHaul. He likes the setup and can load by himself. His routine includes having straps in position before he starts the loading process. He uses a bungee from the luggage rack to the Buddy's rear rack to hold the scoot upright. This way he can be hands free and finish the tie down process.

Another couple we scoot with use a S-10 to haul their scooters. So a small truck might fit the bill.

We on the other hand used our Kia Sportage and a small trailer to haul two Buddys. Ours is the 6 cylinder Kia, and it gets pretty good gas mileage while towing and even better when not towing. (Though we recently bought a used pickup and are going to load our two scooters in the bed).

Did I mention we have a trailer for sale :)
rajron

Post by rajron »

I have a regular trailer with a ball hitch which attaches to our SUV, many trouble free miles, don’t like it though because some states, CA, have limited speed limits for trailers, and then you need to find a place for the trailer when not in use – much better to have a versa haul; then how do you remove the device and where do you put it when you decide to take it off, and like mentioned it can only carry one scoot, and and a small car would have a tough time handling all that weight at the rear.
Right now I’m looking at a couple of vans, just looking for now; would you consider: a Ford Transit http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/transitconnect/ economical and practical in size, but, what I really want is this: http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/vehicles/ too expensive for now but very nice.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I like the Transit Connect alot, and it would easily hold two scoots, if not more. Add a light trailer on the back and you have your whole life in one package.

(But I'd talk to Scooterworks about this one)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:Not Cali? :(

Are you shooting for a new or used vehicle?
I've applied to 16 jobs in the past two months: one in NYC, three in Cali (Bay area), and twelve in Texas. Two places in Texas have tagged me for onsite interviews, so I'm doing some planning now. I realize this is VERY MUCH putting the cart before the horse, but it beats endless ruminating about the interviews. That'll just make me nervous.

Probably used but via a dealer for warranty & financing options.
ModBud #442
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Yea Texas!!!

I got my truck at CarMax... not sure if there is one in your area... this is the third vehicle we have bought from them...
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

Get a Honda CR-V.

I have a 1999 Honda CR-V. I get about 28mpg with the trailer on, towing two Buddys on it.

The trailer is a slightly modified Harbor Freight trailer, with a custom wooden deck and two motorcycle chocks. My overall cost was under $400 for the whole trailer setup, and is much nicer and more secure than the versaracks.

Here's the trailer: http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb-ca ... 94564.html

I got it when it was on-sale for $299, then used a $20-off coupon to get the trailer itself for just under $250. The pressure-treated wood base was around $60 in supplies, and the chocks (I got nice ones) were $30 each.

I'll see if I can get a pic later today-- we're on vacation in Panama City, and the scooters rode down on the trailer with us. :D
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

Trailer:

Close-up of tie-down pegs and wheel chock:

Finally, our scoots, with my CR-V in the background:

:D
Keys

Post by Keys »

Jeez. When I first picked up my Buddy (back in '06), I got it from the dealer about a hundred miles away. I just put the top down on my old Sebring and put it in the back seat. It had a nice ride home that way....

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:roll: So I've got two solid answers to my question: a Prius & a Jeep Cherokee, and the vague "a full size diesel truck" (what make & model, please?). You mean to tell me NONE of y'all uses a VersaHaul-type scooter carrier? Huh. For all I've heard about these carriers, I thought more folk had them.
ModBud #442
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

2003 Toyota Tundra pickup
2006 Vista Cruiser Mini motorhome
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'm sure you understood that the Prius comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. Doing that would surely void the warranty and likely damage the vehicle. You are not hearing too many replies because the most appropriate vehicles for these systems are light trucks and larger SUVs with ladder frames and heavy duty suspensions. If you already have a full sized pick-up or a Chevy suburban, you really don't need a Versahauler to handle a scooter or two, all you need is a ramp.

Now, down there in Tex-ass, don't pick-ups fit in real well? You may be on to a plan B.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Dooglas wrote:I'm sure you understood that the Prius comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. Doing that would surely void the warranty and likely damage the vehicle. You are not hearing too many replies because the most appropriate vehicles for these systems are light trucks and larger SUVs with ladder frames and heavy duty suspensions. If you already have a full sized pick-up or a Chevy suburban, you really don't need a Versahauler to handle a scooter or two, all you need is a ramp.

Now, down there in Tex-ass, don't pick-ups fit in real well? You may be on to a plan B.
Yup, got it! But I really did think more people used these type of carriers. Guess I was wrong! Yeah, I do love pick-up trucks (OMG especially flare-sides), but I dunno how economical one would be, fuel-wise. I do think a truck would be very practical for me since I don't carry people as much as I do stuff.

Thanks for the response, Dooglas. Keep 'em coming, y'all!
ModBud #442
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

You may want to check out some light pickups and see if they have the capacity. Some of them get pretty good mileage.

I was serious about the Prius. He caries a P125 on it. I don't ride or drive behind him! I was serious about being terrified too!
www.teamscootertrash.com

synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

polianarchy wrote::roll: So I've got two solid answers to my question: a Prius & a Jeep Cherokee, and the vague "a full size diesel truck" (what make & model, please?). You mean to tell me NONE of y'all uses a VersaHaul-type scooter carrier? Huh. For all I've heard about these carriers, I thought more folk had them.
I thought my answer was solid. :? You implied that you were considering a SUV; I was giving an option. It is rather insulting to have a reply that is intended to be helpful, carelessly disregarded with an eyeroll.

Based on the above replies, you should be able to conclude that a VersaHaul is NOT an option for your Prius. Think about the physics of it; hauling about 500lbs of scooter that far back would be like having thousands of pounds of luggage in your backseat.

This, combined with how precarious it is to tie your scooter down like this, makes the VersaHaul a bad option in any case.

So, to more straightforwardly answer your question: No.

To give you more background, I used to own a 1996 Civic. I tried many things before the trailer --

- I tried a tow dolly like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcyc ... ccessories. It laid my old motorcycle down if I turned at all. It was a terrible product, luckily the seller took a return and I was only out shipping and a few scuffs.

- I tried an off-brand Versa-Haul. My suspension on the Civic was so low, the rack dragged out of the driveway, and would occasionally hit on hills. I returned it, and tried a friend's Versa-Haul (which he uses on an RV). Same result. Both were wobbly once installed, and probably would have thrown my scooter off if I hit any pothole at speed.

- I tried a cargo rack with an adapter to raise the rack up an additional 6". The rack was unstable, and far more precarious than the Versa-Haul. Plus, the added height would have forced me to use a large ramp.

- I used a 4x4 trailer, which I put a modified bed on to accommodate a large scooter. The trailer was so small that it was IMPOSSIBLE to back into anywhere. Plus, it jackknifed easily.

- Finally, I saw the 4x8 trailer on-sale, bought it, and have never looked back. I added a tongue extension to make the trailer both easier to back, and less likely to fishtail at speed.

Much research went into my post, and just because I had not clarified my opinion does not make it worthless.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

synaps3, I think there is some sort of misunderstanding. I did not mention SUVs or a Prius, and I didn't say the responses were worthless. I said,
I would like to know your experiences with using a VersaHaul, TiltaRack, or similar style of scooter hauling rack. Please share the make & model of your car, how you mounted the trailer hitch, and if you're happy with the set-up.
and I was complaining about the lack of answers.

I do appreciate your taking the time and effort (during your vacation, no less!) to post about your trailer set up, but it's not what I'm talking about in this thread. I've had several bad experiences with that style of trailer, so I'm very hesitant to purchase one of my own.
synaps3 wrote:- I tried an off-brand Versa-Haul. My suspension on the Civic was so low, the rack dragged out of the driveway, and would occasionally hit on hills. I returned it, and tried a friend's Versa-Haul (which he uses on an RV). Same result. Both were wobbly once installed, and probably would have thrown my scooter off if I hit any pothole at speed.
Now THAT is the response I am looking for! Thanks again.
ModBud #442
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I have not tried a vera-haul I WAS going to get one until I ran into a problem on the road and found out that my Buddy will fit into the back of my Dodge Caravan perfectly! You find them used for very little $$ and if you need to move, you can pack the stuff into them

I am planning on taking the Stella to NM for Camp Scoot this weekend. I am hoping Stella fits in as nicely. I take pictures.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
DutchIV

Post by DutchIV »

I've got a VersHaul and a trailer. I got the VersaHaul because the guy that sold me my Vespa made me a heck of a deal on it. I've used it once to haul my GTV about 60 miles.

I've got a 5 x 8 trailer that I normally use to haul my scooters. It holds 2 scooters easily with the chocks I've got. Easy on easy off. It's got a treated plywood floor and tie downs running down the middle.

Given the choice I'd always use the trailer.
'07 Vespa GTV - Damfino
'06 Vespa LX 150
'56 Vespa
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

There is nothing wrong or dangerous with a tilt a rack or versahauler as long as the hitch and vehicle are up to the task. I've used mine for thousands of miles. Trailers generally sway (fishtail) because there is not enough weight on the toung.

I have a trailer and a hauler, for two scooters the trailer...for one I MUCH prefer my tiltarack

A few advantages for a hauler:

No additional tolls for an extra axle.
No additional tag needed
No maneuvering a trailer
Easy to store
Easier to load than a trailer

Keep doing your homework...the right vehicle is out there...somewhere!
Last edited by BuddyRaton on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.teamscootertrash.com

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Howardr wrote:I have not tried a vera-haul I WAS going to get one until I ran into a problem on the road and found out that my Buddy will fit into the back of my Dodge Caravan perfectly! You find them used for very little $$ and if you need to move, you can pack the stuff into them

I am planning on taking the Stella to NM for Camp Scoot this weekend. I am hoping Stella fits in as nicely. I take pictures.

Howard
That freaking rocks!

If your close with the Stella you can let the air out of the tires to get an inch or two.
www.teamscootertrash.com

chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Does anyone know of a good folding/collapsible trailer? We want to put 2 kayaks and 1 scooter in it. And fold it up when not in use.
so tough, so pink
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

chloefpuff wrote:Does anyone know of a good folding/collapsible trailer? We want to put 2 kayaks and 1 scooter in it. And fold it up when not in use.
2 kayaks and one scooter at once?
Maybe something like this: http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/Lon ... 1TS76M.htm

or this: http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/LongChih/749TC.htm

They're somewhat configurable to what you need and stand up for storage. I would think that for towing on a freeway, you'd need one with 12" wheels.

All in all, it's probably cheaper to go with Harbor Freight or similar and piece together what you need.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I know some people that like trailer in a bag but they are expensive

http://trailerinabag.com/trailers.html
www.teamscootertrash.com

Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I have an07 Toyota Tacoma, 2 wheel drive, 4cyl, Auto Trans. I get 22-25 mpg with out towing my scooters and about 20-22 towing. Not much difference. But beware the steering wheel sits low to the front seat and could cause troubles crawling in.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Syd

Post by Syd »

Moto-Tote on an '01 GMC pickup.

And ditto what the others said about a hitch mount carrier on a new car or small SUV. It's not a wise choice. Most any full size pickup will take a hitch-mount carrier without complaint and be more than secure, as long as you tie it down well. Anything other than that; get a trailer.

A couple other things to think of are ease in mounting the device and access to the back of the car/truck when mounted. Most small trailers can be hooked up without assistance (it might take some practice, but it's not too difficult). But most hitch-mount carriers all weigh in the 60 - 100lb range, and are not that easy to mount, so you may need help in getting one 'plugged in' to your hitch. Trailers, when connected, still allow you to access the back of your truck, but a bike on a hitch mount pretty much seals off the back of your vehicle.
Last edited by Syd on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DutchIV

Post by DutchIV »

I've got an aluminum and stainless steel light weight hitch carrier that I need to sell since I got a VersaHaul and a trailer.

If anyone's interested send me a PM and an email address and I'll send you some pictures.

Pickup in Logan Oh only or I could meet somebody in Columbus
'07 Vespa GTV - Damfino
'06 Vespa LX 150
'56 Vespa
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

If you're not worried about lots of passengers, can't go wrong with a 4x2 Frontier or Tacoma. Known for 200k miles of service and tough little trucks. The 4cyl models would be fine. If Ford/Chevy/Dodge are more your speed, skip their small trucks. A 6cyl full size is usually the same price as the smaller trucks are when purchased used. Trucks do fit in down in TX quite well. You really need to sit in a few vehicles to know what works best for you, everyone is different :D
EZPZ #65
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Y'all, I need to apologize for my eye-rolling rejoinder the other day. That was rude & snarky, and that's not what ModernBuddy.com is about. And FFS I'm a moderator, so I should know better. :oops: I'm sorry.

nissanman, I appreciate the info on the truck. My primary concern is fuel mileage. Then, practicality & longevity. In a perfect world, I'd find a small truck that got the same MPGs as a car...I really want an El Camino! :cry:
ModBud #442
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

polianarchy wrote:In a perfect world, I'd find a small truck that got the same MPGs as a car...I really want an El Camino! :cry:
Oh yeah......!! :D

How about on of those Subaru Baja thingies..... they're 4door also.

Funny though, everyone want's better mpg's these days however, most new vehicles just don't cut it and/or don't out preform same models years old.
I picked up a Harbor Freight hitch carrier, used it last week with Nooooo issues other than 'paranioa' that 'Simon' would just fall off.
I have a class III 1/2 hitch on a '94 Jeep Wrangler My trip from home, near Hershey, Pa. to Bennington Vt. I got 20.81 mpg !!!!!!
And this is a Jeep with in excess of 200,000 miles on it!!!!!
Mr Miller

Post by Mr Miller »

You could always look for a 90's Dodge Ram with the Cummins engine. They will haul most anything and they get 15-19mpg in town 20-23mpg hwy:)
• 171.3cc NCY Big Bore kit
& bunch of other stuff...

http://www.facebook.com/inerseshen for graphic design, advertising, signs, decals...
paige

Post by paige »

We have a Nissan Frontier that we love. Has chocks for 2 scoots in the bed and a hitch for a trailer or VersaHaul. Gas mileage is decent (for a truck), but it is light in the tail when daily driving (no load).

Our Nissan Xterra has a hitch for the VersaHaul or trailer, is super sporty and gets okay/decent mileage.

I don't think a scoot hauling capable vehicle is very compatible with daily driving needs, especially if you don't know what geographic area you will end up in. California vs. Texas vs. Philadelphia, all different parking and driving situations. Get a car that meets your needs and a trailer for occasional use. (My friends *love* their Honda CRVs. They pull trailers and are good city cars.)
Syd

Post by Syd »

polianarchy wrote:...I really want an El Camino! :cry:
Ranchero, baby! I had a '64 Falcon (what the Ranchero is based on) and you could get close to 30mpg, hold 6 comfortably, and another half dozen in the trunk. Dang, I miss that car.

Or, if you want something newer, how about the Rabbit pickup? If you can find a diesel version, the body may have rotted away, but the engine'd still be running!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

There is an easier way to do this.

You need a class III hitch with a 2" receiver to run a hitch mount.

If using a hitch mount, you also need to insure that your vehicle can handle the tongue weight of your scooter.

These requirements are going to knock out just about all sedans, minivans, etc.

Most body on frame (read truck and truck based-suvs) will be able to do this.

Some "crossover" SUV's can handle this, but you will probaby be pushing it.

I use a hitch mount on my Subaru Forester, which has a class III hitch that mounts to the framerails. The hitch's tongue weight ratings are sufficient for the scooter, but Subaru themselves do not sell a class III hitch for the car, mainly because the tow capacity of the car does not fall into the range of a Class III hitch.

So anyways, I would look at whatever vehicle you want to buy, then get on www.etrailer.com and verify they make a 2" receiver class III hitch for it, THEN check the weight ratings of that hitch installation AND check the manufacturer ratings for the vehicle.

Far easier is to get a trailer, which just about any car on the planet can pull. If rolling your scooter around is the only thing you would be using a hitch for, I would strongly recommend going this route with the car you own, or the next one you want to buy.

It seems silly to me to buy an SUV/truck large enough to haul your bikes (on a hitch mount or otherwise) if that is the only thing you plan to haul.
Valves are for wussies.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Anachronism wrote:It seems silly to me to buy an SUV/truck large enough to haul your bikes (on a hitch mount or otherwise) if that is the only thing you plan to haul.
Yes, that's exactly my point.
ModBud #442
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

polianarchy wrote:
Anachronism wrote:It seems silly to me to buy an SUV/truck large enough to haul your bikes (on a hitch mount or otherwise) if that is the only thing you plan to haul.
Yes, that's exactly my point.
I get that, but let me spell it out so that I am sure we are on the same page.

To run a hitch mounted carrier, where all the weight is carried by the hitch, you need a class III minimum hitch that can deal with a tongue weight over 300 lbs.

Most vehicles that can handle this are trucks or truck based SUV's, because this is a LOT of weight to hang off the back of a vehicle.

If you buy a trailer, things change dramatically. Instead of 300+ lbs being hung off your car, the trailer carries most of the load. The total trailer weight becomes 500-750 lbs (with the 750lbs being TWO scooters), and the tongue weight then drops to 50-100 lbs, which just about any vehicle on the planet can tow.

So, if you have no other towing plans, I think it makes a lot more sense to buy the fuel efficient car that you want, then buy a hitch and trailer to haul your bikes with that car.

The versahauls and other hitch mounts are good options for people that already have a tow rig. If you don't have one, spending the extra $$$ to get one, and putting up with the fuel economy issues and the like is just not a good idea.

It is much more sensible to buy a light trailer, and then you can even transport more than one bike!
Valves are for wussies.