Today, I am *invisible*.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AxeYrCat

Today, I am *invisible*.

Post by AxeYrCat »

Apparently anyway, because cars kept pulling out in front of me. :scream:

Now, I've been commuting on my Buddy for a week, and this hasn't been an issue before. I dunno what the deal with today was, or what the deal was with the people who decided that they'd turn into the road RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME (one of whom did so as he buckled his seat belt and checked his hair in the rear-view mirror)...

I know it's one of those things that I should expect, and fortunately, I was able to brake in time in all of the instances earlier today, but damn... WTF?! What is it with today??

Is it because today is the day my new helmet and riding jacket are supposed to be delivered? Was it the universe plotting to remove several layers of my skin before the appropriate protective gear arrives?

Anyway, I'm seriously considering getting a roll of stickers made to slap on people's windows/cars after they pull crap like that... Lil' vinyl stickers that read 'I'm an inconsiderate driver' or something. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
gmon

Post by gmon »

I have found my source of revenge. You buy a box of stainless bb's and you pour them in you storage tray. When a car does this to you pass them . This step gives you a little satisfaction because the person in the car usually cut you off because they ass ume that you are be going slow, and they just got passed. Next you descretely toss a few bb's over your shoulder. Usually this will cause no damage, but sometimes a little crack. Just like usually them pulling out in front of you is harmless, but it could get you hurt. Makes me smile.
just admit it , its fun
vitaminC

Re: Today, I am *invisible*.

Post by vitaminC »

AxeYrCat wrote: Is it because today is the day my new helmet and riding jacket are supposed to be delivered? Was it the universe plotting to remove several layers of my skin before the appropriate protective gear arrives?
Not sure how "hi-vis" your jacket is, but you might consider adding something like this to your riding wardrobe, as it will help you stand out a lot more.

Tossing BB's is also like to make people want to run you down... or the next scoot they see.
Bert

Get even

Post by Bert »

Never get in a pissin' match with a skunk.

Remember, you may have the right-of-way, but you may not have the truck.
Havn't scootered since '42
gmon

Post by gmon »

Now that I got some feathers ruffled, Dont throw bb's. Just honk and wave nicely, makes them feel dumb.
just admit it , its fun
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Being an avid bicyclist having had many drivers do many dumb (and sometimes outright malicious things) it’s best to NEVER retaliate. A polite, exaggerated wave (not a one-fingered salute) is best. Revenge only reflects badly on all scooter-jockeys.

I do find that drivers pull out in front of you because they don’t realize how fast you are coming.
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

I find it fun after someone cuts me off and we meet up at the next red light on a two lane road. I try and get next to them and beat them off the line. Always works....and makes me laugh. "your $40,000 caddy isn't so special anymore is it?!"
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

My jacket isn't high-visibility, but the helmet that is 'out for delivery' according to UPS -- along with aforementioned jacket -- is the Shoei TZ-R in bright frickin' orange.

I wouldn't want to do anything that would potentially cause harm to someone/something else, nor would I want to run over any of the BBs that I tossed on my return trip...

I like the sticker idea because it would get a point across without hurting anyone or being at all profane. Additionally, people would be inconvenienced for a moment when they went to remove them...

The only sticking point (pardon the pun) is that I'd need to be closer than I'd like to be to apply them.
Huh? What just happened?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Assume you are invisible

Post by jrsjr »

A good safe bet is to assume that you are always invisible to the automobile drivers around you, not just on national "Scooters are Invisible Day." :wink:
AxeYrCat

Re: Assume you are invisible

Post by AxeYrCat »

jrsjr wrote:A good safe bet is to assume that you are always invisible to the automobile drivers around you, not just on national "Scooters are Invisible Day." :wink:
Thus far, operating under that assumption has kept me out of several accidents.

Last night, a lady turned left across my lane of traffic. She then saw me and slammed on her SUV's brakes, rendering her motionless *DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME*! :evil: :roll:

Now, I know that's the response that most deer normally give you when they're caught in your headlights, but I did expect a little more from a person... I had to wait for a little while for her to realize she should probably just go ahead and GO before I could continue on my ride home. Image
Huh? What just happened?
BlackInkSpot

Post by BlackInkSpot »

The first week I was riding my scooter to work, I pulled up to a light and a guy in a mini-cooper pulled up right next to me in my lane and it wasn't for him to turn right - as I was in the right hand side of the lane.

His window was down and I looked over at him and asked him really loudly, but in a nice voice, if we were engaged. He said "WHAT?" and I said "I dunno, you're all up in my gusset...I figured you wanted to get hitched?" He just looked at me blankly and then light turned green. I at least got a laugh and didn't get mad. That's all I can do. :)
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I do my best to keep myself from getting miffed, but sometimes, I just can't...

Sometimes, I want to hit things.

And I figure if I hit them with an open hand and apply a sticker with an inoffensive message, well, that's pretty okay. :)
Huh? What just happened?
castleton

Post by castleton »

I was invisible yesterday--at a light. Heard a loud SCREEEECH and looked back--a car was pulled over across the yellow lines into the other lane about 10 feet back, supposedly to avoid rear-ending me (I was behind several other cars). The driver and his girlfriend looked shell-shocked. No harm done, at least physcially!

I have a brake light modulator, which I use every few seconds when stopped -- I'd bet that this guy would have been in danger of rear-ending anyone (small comfort, to a scooter). I'd also bet that he & gf were arguing instead of looking at the road.

The scariest part, to me, was how fast it happened. One moment I was checking my rearviews, and just seeing a car coming from far behind, next moment: SCREEECH.
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

I've had a complaint from a couple of people who have ridden with me, that the Buddy tail light is small and hard to see. I have to agree... I think it's small. I have a brake light modulator, but I still want to add a brake light to my topbox for additional visibility.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

What's a brake light modulator??
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

MrNatural wrote:What's a brake light modulator??
It makes your brake light flash.

Do a quick Google search, and you'll pull up a lot of results, often with pics/videos. :)
Huh? What just happened?