Stella 4T Early Impressions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll be doing a longer review of the Stella 4T soo. Some other sites have been asking me to share my impressions. I'll always share relevant info here first, though!

I've been riding the Stella 4T for a couple days now. I took it out on a group ride on Saturday then around my frequent local routes on Sunday. Though I've ridden a shifty before, it's been a long time and the last one I rode was a smallframe. I was having a lot of trouble shifting, especially getting it into first gear. Fortunately, as I discovered Sunday, it's not because I totally suck. The clutch cables were all wonky since the scoot had been used for events and demos. Everyone—including me—who'd sat on it probably played with the shifter.

Overall impressions so far: Quicker than I thought it would be. Handles smoothly and easily. It feels solid but not bulky. And a blast to ride.

And, damn, it gets plenty of stares, comments and envious looks.

I'm still putting it through it's paces and it's still being broken in, but so far I've had it up to 60, 55 on a level road.

The first mods I'll make: Either disconnecting the turn signal beeper or swapping it for a piezo buzzer. I kind of like having an indicator. Next: tires. It's an easy and not too expensive upgrade and my mech said he'd show me how to get the wheels off. Always up for a learning experience. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

Thanks for the brief review, Eric. 'Sounds fun!
I'd like to give MY review too, but for obvious reasons we all will STILL have to live vicariously through your experiences. Try no to make it sound TOO fun!
Do I sound bitter? Is there a face for that?
Oh well, for you: :D
For us: :cry:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I thought for a while about whether I should even mention it yet, but many people know I got it Saturday so there didn't seem to be much sense in sitting on it for another week.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Stop writing....go ride!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Nice!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Tires are SIMPLE to remove, as the hub separates off.

If your clutch and shift cable are right (both EASY 5 minute adjustments) you can BANG gears in these things. I shift FAST with no problems.

4th gear is much further out than the selector indicator shows. For my first day or so of riding, I thought I couldn't find third because 3rd gear was lined up with 4th on the indicator. I was also a bit concerned as my 60 mph bike was wheezing at 40, go figure. :)

Have fun! Once you get used to how it handles, (less smooth than a Buddy, and a little less comfortable IMO, but SOLID and confidence inspiring), you can really lean it over and tear it up.

I can't say I've gotten a lot of attention on mine. A few nice scooter comments, but that is about it. However, there are plenty of vintage vespas around here.
Valves are for wussies.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Anachronism wrote:Have fun! Once you get used to how it handles, (less smooth than a Buddy, and a little less comfortable IMO, but SOLID and confidence inspiring), you can really lean it over and tear it up.
For me, it's actually more comfortable than the stock Buddy seat, maybe even a little more than the BlackJack seat. It's hard to compare Buddy handling to anything else.

The engine is ridiculously quiet and smooth—more than the Buddy, even! I've had to rev it in neutral a couple times to be sure I didn't stall.

From what I gathered when Greasy was adjusting the cables, the shifting is highly customizable. I'm adapting to it pretty quickly now—smooth and easy. Only problem I have is popping it back into first if I cruise to a stop in a higher gear without dropping into neutral before coming to a complete stop. May just need a little more tweaking. May just be me. :)
bpatrick5

Post by bpatrick5 »

Congratulations! Are you the first consumer purchase? Pictures?

I can't wait to hear one. I can imagine how quiet it is compared to the Buddy. Does it have a tachometer or the same speedo/gauge set as the 2T?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Same speedo as the 2T. You can hear it well enough when riding, but idling, it purrs like a kitten.

I am the first owner! Serial #4 and, I think, the only one in CA. Kind of funny that the first one sold is a (slightly) used one! It's got a few kinks, nicks and scratches but that's fine by me. :mrgreen:
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Seat is comfy, but the suspension seems to hit the rider harder on rougher roads. Still, aside from the shock transferred to the rider, it seems to stick on the road pretty well.
Valves are for wussies.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

eric, did you get the 4t before or after amerivespa?!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

After. I just got it this weekend.

When we were at AV, this Stella was being shown at Motorsports and the Orange Crush rally.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

while i was at amerivespa, jim (owner of genuine) told me that there were only 5 out in the US lol

you've got a rare scooter!
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

does it feel more torquy and/or powerful vs a Buddy 150, since it's a manual and you have more control?

i like the looks of the stella. all the cars i've ever owned have been a manual but i don't know how to ride a manual scooter and i don't really have a manual scooter to learn on either. before i bought my buddy i looked at a bajaj scooter that was a manual. the owner insisted i try it out even after i told him i'd never ridden a manual scooter before :shock: ... and i ran the scooter into a coworker's car. :shock: (not on purpose).

*fixed: bajaj... not baja :wink:
Last edited by un_designer on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

un_designer wrote: before i bought my buddy i looked at a baja scooter that was a manual. the owner insisted i try it out even after i told him i'd never ridden a manual scooter before :shock: ... and i ran the scooter into a coworker's car. :shock: (not on purpose).
A Baja or a Bajaj? I just love my Bajaj Legend and it's 4-stroke, shifty ways. It's a keeper.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

un_designer wrote:does it feel more torquy and/or powerful vs a Buddy 150, since it's a manual and you have more control?

i like the looks of the stella. all the cars i've ever owned have been a manual but i don't know how to ride a manual scooter and i don't really have a manual scooter to learn on either. before i bought my buddy i looked at a bajaj scooter that was a manual. the owner insisted i try it out even after i told him i'd never ridden a manual scooter before :shock: ... and i ran the scooter into a coworker's car. :shock: (not on purpose).
Power delivery is so much different it's hard to compare. The Stella has a lot of low-end torque. It's definitely not going to be as fast as a Buddy 150. I rode briefly with SkootzKabootz on his St. Tropez and the Stella keeps up fine in normal traffic conditions (um, except for at a light when I jumped from 1st to 3rd and got a little pokey).

It's been over 15 years since my last ride on a shifter and I'm picking it up pretty quickly. Still a couple newbie moves now and then, but fewer every day and I'm much more confident than day 1. I suppose I'll have more control once I master the shifting. :)
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

What does the top speed look like? My sito 2T runs to 65 pretty easily, and that is at 6500 feet with my 225 lbs of manly man.

How about pictures of the engine? We haven't gotten any here yet.

Some of the early 4t videos I saw of the bike in India had a LOUD exhaust. Not the case?
Valves are for wussies.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Super quiet. It'll do 55 easily. I've had it up to 60. It'll gain a bit more with break in.

I'll have pics up soon. It's a PIA for me to take the cowls off because I have to remove the crash bars, too. I may have time this weekend to open it all up. though.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

awesome. did that exhaust get fixed? Do shifters have a different break-in point? That's got like 600miles, right?

I wondered if those #s really represented where the gear was. I didn't turn it, mind you! I drive stick shifts when I drive so I know enough to not mess with the shifter without the clutch engaged but heck, why mess with it at all? Sheesh!

is there an RPM indicator that helps since it so quiet you can't hear?

Shifting was why I took my scoot to MSF. I didn't like there was no sure why to tell what gear I was in and finding neutral on those abused bikes was a nightmare!!!

glad yours is getting fixed good as new. I bet once broken in it'll go faster. I hope so!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jijifer wrote:awesome. did that exhaust get fixed? Do shifters have a different break-in point? That's got like 600miles, right?

I wondered if those #s really represented where the gear was. I didn't turn it, mind you! I drive stick shifts when I drive so I know enough to not mess with the shifter without the clutch engaged but heck, why mess with it at all? Sheesh!

is there an RPM indicator that helps since it so quiet you can't hear?

Shifting was why I took my scoot to MSF. I didn't like there was no sure why to tell what gear I was in and finding neutral on those abused bikes was a nightmare!!!

glad yours is getting fixed good as new. I bet once broken in it'll go faster. I hope so!
The exhaust is great. May have gotten knocked when the scoot was dropped. It's running right on now.

Then engine break in is probably around the same for all 4Ts of this size. I'm breaking it in hard, varying the RPMs (which is pretty easy to do on a shifter).

The numbers on the shifter are fairly accurate, but that varies by how the cables are adjusted.

No tachometer/RPM indicator, but it's really not needed. You can still hear the engine while riding and it's pretty easy to go by sound, speed, feel and so on.

My big newbie move: Twice yesterday I forgot that I was in gear at a stop and released the clutch. Stall! Hey, everyone, look at my cool scooter! Stall! Doh!
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Will the Stella have at least one model with color changing paint like it's brother the LML?

Awesome,one model of the LML Star 4T(below pic) has color changing paint when in sun light.Translation below from Google(sort of)

Stella 4T in the US:

LML Star 150cc 4T 125 and is present on the Italian market in the new black color GOLD, an iridescent coloring that changes colors in sunlight. Rimangono naturalmente inviariate le altre colorazioni (bianco, argento, nero metalizzato, rosso metalizzato, grafite, oceano, avorio, avocado, arancio e giallo cab). Remain of course may send other colors (white, silver, black metallic, red metallic, graphite, ocean, ivory, avocado, orange and yellow cab).

Le caratteristiche della LML Star 4T GOLD sono quelle note: basse emissioni inquinanti, parsimoniosa nei consumi percorre 60 km con un litro di benzina, classico telaio monoscocca infinitamente più rigido di un telaio monoscocca classico, inconfondibile stile retrò, motore LML 4 tempi monocilindrico orizzontale monoalbero con due valvole con sistema di raffreddamento ad aria forzata dalla potenza massima di 6,75 Kw a 6250 giri il 150cc e 5,84 Kw a 6000 giri la variante 125, cambio manuale a 4 marce con avviamento elettronico ea pedale. The characteristics of the LML Star GOLD 4T are those notes: low emissions, fuel-efficient 60 km along with a liter of gasoline, classical infinitely more rigid monocoque chassis of a monocoque chassis classic, unmistakable retro, LML engine 4-stroke horizontal single shaft two valves with forced air cooling system from the maximum power of 6.75 kW at 6250 rpm, the 150cc and 5.84 kW at 6000 rpm variant 125, 4 speed manual gearbox with electronic starter and kick.

La LML Star 4 tempi può essere equipaggiata con una vasta gamma di accessori originali LML in grado di renderla ancora più versatile ed originale. The LML Star four times can be equipped with a wide range of original accessories LML able to make it more versatile and original. Prezzi: LML Start 4T 125cc 2.700,00 euro fc, LML Start 4T 150cc 2.900,00 euro fc inclusi due anni di garanzia e un anno di soccorso stradale. Rates: Start LML 125cc 4T 2700.00 euros fc, LML Start 150cc 4T 2900.00 euros fc including two year warranty and one year roadside assistance.

http://www.motoblog.it/post/24927/lml-star-4t-gold
Attachments
Black Color GOLD
Black Color GOLD
LML_Star_4T_GOLD_1.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Aerosmith, None Other.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Assuming the 4t shifting is the same as 2t, which I believe they are as the transmission setup is the same, all the gears line up except for 4th, which is a good deal beyond the 4 on the indicator.

Regarding break in- the shift cables and clutch cable will stretch as they break in. I need to adjust my clutch cable a bit after 1,300 miles on my 2T.

The shift cables don't stretch as much, but you can bugger them if you put too much pressure on the shifter if the bike doesn't want to find a certain gear for some reason. I had to adjust my shift cables a few weeks agio because I pushed hard enough on one to get the cable to slip out of the nut a bit.
Valves are for wussies.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

*scratches head*
So...it's not a sequential shifter like a motorcycle? It's like a grip-shift on a bicycle? Would someone take pity on me and help me out with a quick-and-dirty explanation of how the Stella shifts?

Erm...and if it's not like a motorcycle...how easy is it to screw up and miss a gear? This has me a little nervous about looking at a Stella now.
Syd

Post by Syd »

1 n 2 3 4

I think, running clockwise, no?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Syd

Post by Syd »

Oh, yeah, the other clockwise. :oops:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Like I said, the accuracy depends on adjustment. When I first got me scoot, cables all goofed, first gear was somewhere way off in the nether regions off the dial. Now they're all pretty much on the mark.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Cheshire wrote:Would someone take pity on me and help me out with a quick-and-dirty explanation of how the Stella shifts?
http://bajajusa.com/Gentle%20art%20of%20shifting.htm

Yo, if I can do it, ANYBODY (with full use of their fingers, hands, & arms) can.
ModBud #442
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:My big newbie move: Twice yesterday I forgot that I was in gear at a stop and released the clutch. Stall! Hey, everyone, look at my cool scooter! Stall! Doh!
This is from Dan Blank, Philadelphia Scooters' mechanic extraordinaire: When coming to a full stop (e.g. a red light), shift into first gear in order to line up the gears. Then, shift into neutral so that you can release the clutch without stalling. When you're ready to go, first gear is all lined up & easy to find.
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:
ericalm wrote:My big newbie move: Twice yesterday I forgot that I was in gear at a stop and released the clutch. Stall! Hey, everyone, look at my cool scooter! Stall! Doh!
This is from Dan Blank, Philadelphia Scooters' mechanic extraordinaire: When coming to a full stop (e.g. a red light), shift into first gear in order to line up the gears. Then, shift into neutral so that you can release the clutch without stalling. When you're ready to go, first gear is all lined up & easy to find.
Ah, good one, thanks. I've been cruising to stops in neutral when possible in case I need to hop back into gear should the light turn green.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Here's my early impression of the Stella 4T...

Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooommmm – shift – Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooommmm – shift – Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooommmm – shift – puuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

I've been riding My Bajaj Chetak for quite a while. It's a 4stroke shifter made in India! At first I rode it like a motorcycle (downshifting, leaving it in first at the stoplights....) It goes through back tires very fast. Now,when slowing down, I just shift down while braking but not releasing the clutch until I get to neutral. I only have a neutral light on the Speedo. If you're riding for the very first time, I recommend starting in 2nd gear and putter around the hood to get the hang of using a clutch. Then your possibility of stalling or pulling a wheelie is less. The next time, start in first and get the hang of going past neutral to get to 2nd.

Shifting is the smartest way to ride.
Buena Suerte (Good Luck)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Here's my early impression of the Stella 4T...

Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooommmm – shift – Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooommmm – shift – Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooommmm – shift – puuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
My proposed ad copy:
"The Stella 4T: Purrs like a kitten. Growls like a really pissed off kitten."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Update: Almost 500 miles on her. She's getting faster.
Keys

Post by Keys »

How have you been able to hold it down to just a mere 500 miles?

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Here's my early impression of the Stella 4T...

My proposed ad copy:
"The Stella 4T: Purrs like a kitten. Growls like a really pissed off kitten."
So, you shift it like this, right?

<object width="464" height="376" id="1862779" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" alt="Jealous Cat Knocks Kitten's Hat Off Funny Videos"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/MTg2Mjc3OQ=="></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/MTg2Mjc3OQ==" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="376"></embed></object>
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Keys wrote:How have you been able to hold it down to just a mere 500 miles?

--Keys
I've only put around half of those on it! I've been riding it every day, whenever possible. It's been my daily commuter and I've taken in it on a couple small group rides.

I haven't been able to take it out on a really long ride and, actually, kind of want to get it a little more broken in before I do.
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

Eric I'm sure you're going by sound of the motor for you shift points, but what speed are you shifting (up) for 1st 2nd and 3rd? I think the break in period will be tough. Keeping the throttle back will be like having a frosty cold beer (in a frosty mug) on a hot day and only drinking with a teaspoon.
BTW how's the chrome holding up?
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Stella 4T Early Impressions

Post by ericalm »

Tee Jay wrote:Eric I'm sure you're going by sound of the motor for you shift points, but what speed are you shifting (up) for 1st 2nd and 3rd? I think the break in period will be tough. Keeping the throttle back will be like having a frosty cold beer (in a frosty mug) on a hot day and only drinking with a teaspoon.
BTW how's the chrome holding up?
Not really looking at the speedo until I get into 3rd. First really just gets me moving. I probably shift into 3rd around 25-30. I'll try to pay attention to it on the way to work tomorrow.

The chrome is great! Rear rack has been getting some use. I've pulled the front rack so I can get under the horncast to replace the turn signal beeper with a clicker.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

pics and videos please
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

How about gas mileage??

Thanks, Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

birdmove wrote:How about gas mileage??

Thanks, Jon
It gets 140mpg. Actually tested to 146mpg, but 140 is the official mpg. However, as with other scooters, I wouldn't expect it to reach optimum mpg's until after breakin.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Glen G

No Buddy?

Post by Glen G »

Eric, when you gonna "man up" and get a Buddy pal ;-)

Just kidding, hope you're doing well and hoping to see your new baby at Swerve n' Curve. A bunch of us Phoenix folk are talking about going.

Glen
Lovelandstella

photos?

Post by Lovelandstella »

eric, not to press you on your long review, but do you at least have some photos up? or if they are up and I am not seeing them if someone can smack me and link them for me? I'm still curious about that rear rack since this EPA delay might be just enough time for the rest of us to figure out how to put a rear rack on ours.
any thing to bide my time better than complaining about delays, ya know.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
EvilTweety

Re: photos?

Post by EvilTweety »

Lovelandstella wrote:... but do you at least have some photos up? ...
Please post some photos, as you are one of the few (if not only) person to have a 4t. I am especialy curious about the glove box. In one photo I saw what looked like a 12 v plug for accessories?