before you pickup your new Stella 4T...

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lovelandstella

before you pickup your new Stella 4T...

Post by Lovelandstella »

while trying to stay focused on the positive of not yet having my Stella 4T in our possession, we do have time to go over what to do once we each take possession of the scooter from the dealer. many of us probably haven't bought a scooter in a few years, certain things may have changed, maybe some of us are a little bit rusty on it, and (like me) some of us never bought a brand spankin' *new* scooter before.

while each of us may be tempted to just "take the scooter and run", we should probably go over some things with the dealer for our own information as well as to make sure the vehicle was properly prepped and is in good working order. while the thought of having to leave it at the dealer for more time (especially after all this time waiting) for something like to "repair any damage you find" or "for the dealer to properly prep something you see they've missed" might seem like something more than you can bear, it should be noted that "time at the dealership" is better than "an accident on the way home".

for whatever the reason, we should probably go over "the checklist" together as I likely forgot something (please let me know) and you might have forgotten something- heck there's probably stuff that none of us know! this is the 1st ever Stella 4T - it's a whole new ball game!
even 4T buddy owners, or any other 4T owners: chime in! if there is an important 4T dealer prep thing or shipping thing or test drive thingy I haven't mentioned? please post it for me!

I made this thing for myself, and figured it might help some of you (and that you might have some better ideas/advice for me too). so take this with a grain of salt- I am not telling everyone to do this - it's just what I'm thinking of doing/saying/etc. so, you know. Also I might say things like "FOR ME" or "I", or say certain things more than once... this is because I wrote it for myself and there are things that are not yet second nature for me and I wanted to give myself little reminders and somethings I am excited about like a dork and maybe also I didn't want to re-congugate all my verbs. stuff like that.
Some of these questions I have sinced found the answers to- but I still put them in anyway as some of you may want to ask them.

So, I figure while we are checking on the dealer prep, we might as well discuss the scoot itself with the dealer tech. I understand that some of this information is in the star 4T owners manual *here*, but the Stella is a little different. (there's at lease one tube added to the Stella 4T that I know of, there could be a lot more differences, does this affect prep, maintenance? that kind of thing). and even though we can get this info from our own owners manual (which I also recommend). it doesn't hurt to quickly go over everything with the tech who just did all this stuff while prepping your scoot. besides we paid a bunch of money right? might as well get a little 10 min class on it or something.

and just so you all know how big a dork I am - when I pick up my scoot- I will be taking notes. that's how many questions I have.

I got a ton of this information from the "Stella proper dealer prep" which I have transcribed *here*. if you want it.

To Do At Pickup from Dealer:

* advise them that since this is the 1st of it's kind and soo new, I am understandably concerned and want to make sure that it's in perfect shape before I take possession - Especially since I don't have really any serious tools at my house- - like no Air compressor etc .. - hopefully they understand.

* ASK any problems with it when it came in? and uncrating? did the "tip-n-tell" indicate anything? Sometimes even a truck driver innocently placing empty pallets on top of the scooter crates can cause dmg during transit.
Note: IF there were any problems or damage done in shipping, it is on the DEALER to report that within 24 hours of delivery off the truck to the dealership. (detailed instructions of how to do this are on the Genuine Dealer website- they all have access to it 24/7.) that dmg is owed by the transportation/shipping company, but like all contracts it has a deadline- if the dealer does not properly file paperwork & notify all the right parties etc within that 1st 24 hours then that negligent shipping company is off the hook. BUT genuine wont pay for it either- not part of the warranty. and I sure shouldn't have to pay for it - I didn't do anything wrong! if the dealer finds damage and they do not protect themselves by completing the above in the 1st 24 hours then those repair costs are on the dealer and they know it. now a word of caution: not assuming anything about any dealers, but more, assumptions about human nature: if I cause a mistake and I have to clean it up myself and I am on a time crunch, I may not do the best job at it. Example: If I am late for work and I spill coffee in my house, will I drop everything and clean every single drop "right"? heck no! I'm lucky if I pick the towel up after I throw it in the direction of the spill! now I am an extreme case of "clumsiness mixed with laziness to clean up after myself", but you get the idea. if there is/was ANY damage on the scoot you NEED/deserve to know, as well as the complete repair process for that and hopefully warranty info on those repairs, (what if they didn't tighten something all the way)
[personal note: when I bought my new Jetta back in '03 from the huge "reputable" dealer it only had 17 miles on it. 2 days later my neighbor backed into the rear end of it and while it was at the shop getting repaired they found that the front end alignment was off- turns out in those 17 miles someone had test driven it and actually had an accident and the dealership fixed (read: covered up) all the damage and "must have forgotten" to redo the alignment, I was pissed. it would have been thousands of miles before I considered getting my alignment checked on a brand new car so I'm actually glad my neighbor hit my car otherwise I would have found out about the alignment and lies waay too late. lesson learned. don't be afraid to ask all the questions you need to upfront about shipping and test drives and anything about your ride. simply, Because.]

* I can ask- since this was the 1st batch of Stella 4T's they've ever "dealer prepped" (and for many of us: the 1st ONE)... ASK what was different? what was scary? what was neat? impressive? unimpressive? anything?

* FOR ME: common places to check for damage are the side of the engine, the rear fender (the very back side) and rear bumper, the headlight housing, front fender and legshield
also look at the front wheel hub- it's transported without a wheel on the front, so it could be susceptible to damage from impact or even just from setting it on the ground incorrectly.
* check - did they TIGHTEN the headset bolt on the right rear of the steering column? does it look like they were careful to keep all wiring clear so wires are not cut or damaged underneath the bolt?

* was there proper install of the front wheel? did they make sure the shallow side of the rim faces outward and the deep side of the deep faces the hub?

* the battery
- did they fill each cell to max (top) line
-pull the stopper on the end and hook up the tube?
- did they charge it to full?

* OIL:
- did they fill the oil with quality oil
*ASK - where do you fill the oil? do you need a funnel or anything?what does this oil lubricate?
*how much oil does it hold?
(the 2 stroke takes a quart of oil) how much could it need from time to time? how often should the oil be changed?
ASK what kind of oil goes in the 4T? what brand to they prefer/recommend? are there any other brands? where do I get it? only from them? or like I dunno- Checker or something?
back to the oil IN the scoot: where does it go? where do I check it? - * FOR ME: then check it myself. ASK how much oil does it take between oil changes? any?
if I have to unscrew anything to check the oil or change the oil- when I put it back: how tight? is it in danger of being "over" tightened? but I don't want it to leak, understandably.

* did they fill the gas tank with FRESH gas.-
ASK- what gas is recommended for the Stella 4T? what can I still get away with in my area?
* ME CHECK: did they bolt each mirror to the headset correctly?
ASK: how do I move them so I can see better, best tools for that? any secret to doing that so it's not a pain? ask them to show me, if poss...

*Reg engine:
-ASK is there a "plastic engine protection cover." like on the 2T?
- if no- what problems could come up by not having one? what should I be careful of?- will the Stella 4T have something like this? avoid puddles at all costs? or it's okay?

* I assume there is a "check level screw" - OR it might just be the dipstick...
ASK where is it?
ASK: did they check it?
is this the same oil we poured in the top? (if not, then where/how do we will this one up?)

* what kind of oil does the Stella 4T take? does that one hole in the topo get all the oil or is there more than one oil reservoir that must be filled? do they all take the same kind of oil?

* kickstart lever.
- did they make sure to feed on the lock washer 1st, THEN the flat washer, then feed the bolt UP through the underside of the lever (kick start)? (I ask because it is not that way it comes from the factory)

** VERY VERY IMPORTANT! **
* ASK did they clean the jets, with pressurized air?
I ask because:
"perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT STEP is to take off the air filter and clean out the jets using pressurized air, this removes any residual fuel or debris from the engine resulting from testing at the factory if you skip this step - expect to have customers -ME-LOVELANDSTELLA- coming back within the 1st 200 miles complaining of engine problems, and THEN what would be needed is that a thorough carb cleaning will be necessary to get them back on the road (and that'll be on the dealer for bad prep?)
ALSO - because...
carb cleaning and adjustment is not covered under warranty so it's best to do this step during prep.
* If there are any problems caused by improper dealer prep- since a lot of that is not covered by the warranty - is that paid for by dealer? or is that on me? - if they admit this is on me- then I will take as long as I need to see the whole scoot and get all of these concerns resolved- before I take it home- (would you do any different?)

* ASK - did they clean the debris & take care to remove any debris from the main jet and the idle jet as well as the interior of the carburetor? - see above for why.

* did they (while they had the carburetor open, turn on the fuel valve and) check that fuel is flowing to the carburetor and that there are no leaks?

* ASK- did they adjust the mixture screw, (ASK is that even a necessity on a 4 stroke?) what exactly does that mix? if "oil mix" then no- if "air mix" then YES... and if so- was it done so for HIGH altitude or not? (I am in Colorado, anybody else in high alt should ask this too) ASK was there anything else done to the scoot to make it ready for high altitude? what is that process?
(on a 2T, the mixture screw, AT A HIGH ALTITUDE you may need fewer than 3 turns... as opposed to a full 3 or more)

* look at the battery (the positive side can be identified by a rubber boot)
- LOOK is it all strapped in and secure?
- Locate the battery's drain tube, does the lower end hangs down toward the pavement (I should see it when I look under the spare tire)
NOTICE: if it's not long enough and it'll cause acid erosion dmg. - YIPES!
and is the top of the tube lid over the vent on the right side of the battery? (if not, that can also leak)

* check/ask did they go over ALL wheel bolts for properly tightened on the front and rear wheels (give it a looksie and test with my fingers real quick) and that BOTH tires are inflated to 30 psi (is that right for Stella 4T?) ASK- is that correct??

* ASK did they also check for loose bolts and connectors throughout the scooter? did they find any?(give it a looksie and test with my fingers real quick)

* ASK: did they check for oil flow by disconnecting the oil tube at the airbox and pulling it down
(is that necessary on a 4T?)
- ASK: where is it? find it - check that it was reattached to the air box.
and see how to do it (I want to know where that tube is)

* see that the choke is working
* ASK- for Colorado- what temp do they suggest to always start it open- should I ALWAYS start with the choke open? or like only 50 and below 50 degrees? or something? 40? 60? I have no idea. (maybe ask for your location as well) they do it every day they probably know.

*ASK: did they run the engine and adjust the idle screw?
- ASK Where is that? (on the 2t it's in the middle of the airbox and carburetor, on the 4T I have no idea.)
ASK: I am curious - when you adjust the idle, what are they listening for? I really don't know especially on a new quiet Stella 4T -I'll need to research it. but even the internet can't really help you learn how to "hear" something- this one is huge for me to discuss with the tech. "what does it sound like what the idle needs to be adjusted?"
What is good, what is bad?
Also, can the idle change or need adjustment in the future when I haven't touched it ever? BASICALLY, can it "un-adjust" itself? what sound am I listening for for that?
ASK: when I am starting it up every morning what am I listening for as far as idle?

* CHECK: were Cowls put on correctly- check them to see if I can do it myself (I don't want to mess it up)

* did they remove any plastic covering from the speedometer and taillight (did they cause any dmg? - some dealers use a razor blade?!)

* finally, with the scooter running - FOR ME: check all switches and lighting, including the kill switch, turn signals, high and low beam, turn signal indicators, and brake lights and make sure to independently test the front and rear brake levers (hold my hand behind the taillight to see if they are going off correctly, wish I could do that in my car but noooo! I just don't find out until I get pulled over for faulty brake light)

* did they test drive it themselves? (they should have - that's part of the prep right?)

* ASK - did they examine the spark plug after the test drive? (do they even need to do that in a 4t? it should NOT be burning oil- so maybe not- But maybe some color needs to be seen? find out. I don't mind sounding like a moron, and the tech should be nice and hopefully not too annoyed that I am asking all these questions)
...with a 2T after the test drive:
the spark plug should be a mocha brown color. if the spark plug is white the mixture is too lean., if the sparg plug is black the mixture is too rich....
is the 4T any different? I assume so since the spark plug shouldn't have the burned oil residue that a 2t might have to contend with.
* did they have to make necessary adjustments to the air fuel mixture ?

* ask: anything they noticed when driving it? good? bad?

* Go over how to start it and stop it (regularly and in emergencies, which do they recommend? I know this is a debate point point but I want my dealer's advice in it.)

* you are now ready to test drive! take it for a spin, then talk to the dealer again (maybe at least one question?) and then finish up, shake hands, safety check again and hit the road.
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

I forwarded that post to your dealer and he said yours will take an extra month.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

bluezurich wrote:I forwarded that post to your dealer and he said yours will take an extra month.
Ha! :lol:
it is pretty long, sorry. I have been compiling it for a while and I lost my voice and am home sick today so I figured "why not post it?"
~Lovelandstella
bosco
Dealer

Post by bosco »

the one we got, we bolted on the mirrors, put gas in it along with a fresh battery, checked the brakes and tire pressure and were off to the races.

There was carb adjustment and such after that...

But its a pretty simple process to get them out and operational. Should take just under an hour from crate to riding with all the checks and tweaks.

The wheels are alreay bolted on from the factory.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

bosco wrote:...its a pretty simple process to get them out and operational. Should take just under an hour from crate to riding with all the checks and tweaks.
The wheels are alreay bolted on from the factory.
yeah I didn't mean to make it seem like so much stuff. It seems like a dealer could do many in a day. and my little check list I will hope to get through in like 15 minutes I hope - not including test drive.

Both stella wheels are Bolted on at the factory? is that a change for the 4T? perhaps the promotional ones that are already out?
I thought the 2T came in the crate with the front wheel "off", per this, and this.so I guess I assumed the 4t would too. I fully admit I know nothing of the 4T packaging other that its not here yet. :cry:
~Lovelandstella