What can be done to a Stella that does NOT void the warranty

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lovelandstella

What can be done to a Stella that does NOT void the warranty

Post by Lovelandstella »

What can be done to a Stella that does NOT void the warranty?

Originally I had this idea that only performance enhancers would void a warranty- but it occurred to me very recently that electrical tinkering could likely void the warranty too. I may not be able to, say, wire a stereo into the battery, and still keep the warranty.

This is the sentence on the genuine website that scared me:
Genuine wrote: “In other words, if you break your scooter by… wiring a 1,000 watt stereo into the electrical system …that's not nice and therefore that's not covered.”
Now I am not talking about a 1000W stereo, but I am talking about wiring something… There are people who replace engine parts with performance parts and that’ll void the warranty. So I’m wondering if you all have any input on this.

What about those things like the Stella stereo kit ? It’s from Scooter works, but it still wires into the battery… Will that void it?
Probably the same situation for this, or even something cheap like this this. Or what about rigging a way to plug my GPS into the battery?

Thinking outside the box, I could just replace the box, and maybe I could use a self sufficient system like the buzz, and rig a way to plug multiple things into that 2nd battery (GPS, cell phone charger) and after a multi-battery tender for home charging and maybe a solar panel charger for charging while parked at work (and maybe even while riding!)- it could be a cool little set up.

But also what about an alarm? A different headlight or taillight or blinker bulb? A different horn? Even a light knight or something similar?

Or even the Uber-popular method of disabling the annoying turn signal warning (which will be all the more loud/ annoying on a Stella 4T, considering it’s a much quieter engine…)

Any ideas? I’m starting to think of the Stella 4T 2 year warranty as a curse rather than a blessing, Help!
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Check out the Warranty FAQ:
viewtopic.php?p=174434#174434

Here's the salient part:
Non-OEM parts will not be covered under your scooter's warranty. Installation may effect how your warranty applies to other parts of the scooter.

The general rule is that if you install a modification, you can not file a warranty claim on the modified parts or for failure of a related system if the cause of the failure can be attributed to the modification. That's still pretty broad, especially in cases where the modification may or may not have contributed. Essentially, you don't want to be in a position to prove it was not responsible.

For example, changes you make to the electrical system (adding lighting, hard wiring a GPS) will not void the warranty on your engine or transmission. But it could possibly result in problems with your stator or your ignition. Similarly, a cylinder kit will not void the warranty on your electrical system.

However, should you install a performance variator (part of your transmission) and have the clutch (another part of your transmission) fail, you may not be covered.
Though the above is generally true, warranty laws vary by state. Best to confirm with your dealer.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:Check out the Warranty FAQ:
viewtopic.php?p=174434#174434

Here's the salient part:
Non-OEM parts will not be covered under your scooter's warranty. Installation may effect how your warranty applies to other parts of the scooter.

The general rule is that if you install a modification, you can not file a warranty claim on the modified parts or for failure of a related system if the cause of the failure can be attributed to the modification. That's still pretty broad, especially in cases where the modification may or may not have contributed. Essentially, you don't want to be in a position to prove it was not responsible.

For example, changes you make to the electrical system (adding lighting, hard wiring a GPS) will not void the warranty on your engine or transmission. But it could possibly result in problems with your stator or your ignition. Similarly, a cylinder kit will not void the warranty on your electrical system.

However, should you install a performance variator (part of your transmission) and have the clutch (another part of your transmission) fail, you may not be covered.
Though the above is generally true, warranty laws vary by state. Best to confirm with your dealer.
Thanks Eric! that's my bad- I forgot I read that awhile ago. sorry for the newbie mistake (I thought I was a better lurker than that) :) I will talk to my dealer - good idea! states can vary alot on things like that.

I guess what I am asking would be best asked like a poll, do most of you:
  • use a physical security restraint accessory on your scoots?
  • or an electric alarm?
  • or both?
--do you feel good about it?

and perhaps one more poll question, do you:
  • not listen to anything but the road
  • use a music device with headphones
  • use a music device with a helmet speaker
  • use a self powered & speakered music device like the "buzz" or something similar
  • use a mounted speakered system wired to the scooter batttery itself, like this.
  • bungie a boom box to the rear rack and pop in a tape? (if needed, see also "tape")
--and do you feel good about it?

I'd like to get a feeling for what works and doesn't work both for on the ride and if any personal experience with "I thought it'd be okay but the warranty was voided because of ..." or "I even did ___ and I can't promise it'll be the same for you but the warrenty still paid for ___"
-that kind of thing.

Sorry I've posting so many silly questions lately - I just wish I was out there, on the road, on my scoot, ya know?
~Lovelandstella
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Lovelandstella wrote: and perhaps one more poll question, do you:
  • not listen to anything but the road
  • use a music device with headphones
  • use a music device with a helmet speaker
  • use a self powered & speakered music device like the "buzz" or something similar
  • use a mounted speakered system wired to the scooter batttery itself, like this.
  • bungie a boom box to the rear rack and pop in a tape? (if needed, see also "tape")
I "re-topic'ed" this poll question here. - if you'd like to answer it - Great! do it there! 8)

as for:
Lovelandstella wrote: I guess what I am asking would be best asked like a poll, do most of you:
  • use a physical security restraint accessory on your scoots?
  • or an electric alarm?
  • or both?
You can still answer that one here if you like. Though I fully understand that this particlar question has already been asked "ad nausium" :shock: (I'm reading them all now, Whoops!) :oops:
~Lovelandstella
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

Lovelandstella wrote:

I guess what I am asking would be best asked like a poll, do most of you:
  • use a physical security restraint accessory on your scoots?should be just fine as long as you dont midify the frame or part to make the security system work
  • or an electric alarm?
    if you put an alarm on your scoot make sure to use a battery tender but the stella have plenty of wiring issues do you realy want to add more wires to them to track an issue thru
  • or both?

and perhaps one more poll question, do you:
  • not listen to anything but the roadi listen to my wonderfull pipe sing two stroke notes
  • use a music device with headphonesi would never even consider this as its unlawful in just about every place in the world
  • use a music device with a helmet speakerif i want tunes this is the route i go i always get a helmet that is set up for speakers
    i wouldnt be able to hear them over the pipe

I'd like to get a feeling for what works and doesn't work both for on the ride and if any personal experience with "I thought it'd be okay but the warranty was voided because of ..." or "I even did ___ and I can't promise it'll be the same for you but the warrenty still paid for ___"
-that kind of thing.

Sorry I've posting so many silly questions lately - I just wish I was out there, on the road, on my scoot, ya know?
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos