Is this 2stroke Stella worth it?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

deck99

Is this 2stroke Stella worth it?

Post by deck99 »

Hey everyone. I'm new to scooters! Like a lot of people I've had a ton of motorcyles...raced motocross, yati, yati. Recently bought, sold, rebuilt mopeds.....now it's time for a scooter.

I first wanted a vespa but the price is insane (300gts). I then stumbled across the stellas. Seems like a great little machine. I called the one dealer in the state to see if they had any new 4 strokers and he has 3 units on the way for normal msrp. However he also has 2 '09 2 strokers left (new) which he will sell for $2,469. Is this $1000 difference in price from the 4 stroker worth it??? I love 2 strokers...infact I think it would be cool to buy one of the last 2 strokers to have.

Need your opinions.

Thanks...and I love your forum.

deck99
Last edited by deck99 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

]If you love 2 stroke AND think it would be great to have one of the few 2 stroke bikes AND would love to save $1000, I say
GO FOR IT!

Welcome to Modern Buddy!

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

That's a fair price for a brand new Stella! The only draw back to 2-strokes in my opinion is they require a little more mechanical knowledge since certain things need replacing more often, but it sounds like you have that under control. What color is it? :D
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Excellent price...especially if it comes with warranty,
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
deck99

Post by deck99 »

They have an avocado on the floor and a black one in the box. I was surprised they marked them down so much......

I don't mind doing the maintenance.

deck99
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If you have rebuilt mopeds you can handle the maint no problem. It's mainly adjusting cables and changing gear oil. The 4Ts are going to need the same thing.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Plus the 4T will need the pesky engine oil changed rather than doing the efficient thing and just burning it :wink:
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

WOW.

I paid $3,000 OTD for mine in September, and that was a screaming deal at the time. :)
Valves are for wussies.
Lovelandstella

Re: Is this 2stroke Stella worth it?

Post by Lovelandstella »

deck99 wrote: he will sell for $2,469. Is this $1000 difference in price from the 4 stroker worth it???
if you like the maintenance, like the color, can get the warranty and are really happy about the idea of owning a 2 stroke ("cool factor"), and you can get it for that awesome price (understanding that the price doesn't include tax and title ect.)
-- then I also say go for it!!!!

my dealer tried a similar price drop to sweeten the deal (they've had the same 2 stella 2Ts for a year or 2 now and no sales)- but they didn't lower the price as much as your dealer did- so that is a pretty sweet deal for you.

one thing I've noticed while I was searching for Stella 4t's was that pretty much every dealer with a 2t was trying desperatly to unload it asap. even the head company Genuine was trying to help that too (dressed for the holidays- spring fling).
it's kind of a mean thing for me to suggest- but I bet if you wait untill after the 4ts are on the lot they would lower the price even more... they have the black one in a crate for a reason- sales were so poor they figured what's the use unpacking it and prepping it in the 1st place...

I'm torn because I want to help the local scooter dealerships, but I also want to help the local scooter purchasers...

use this advice how you chose.
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Lovelandstella

Re: Is this 2stroke Stella worth it?

Post by Lovelandstella »

deck99 wrote: I called the one dealer in the state to see if they had any new 4 strokers...Is this $1000 difference in price from the 4 stroker worth it???
sorry, to answer *this* question:
for reasons why I chose the 4t over the 2t in a very recent purchase - look Here (8th from the top)

if you disagree with my reasons for a 4t- then I say go for the 2t-
if you agree with the reasons, then I don't see why you can't take your time to think about it. sounds like you're the only person looking to buy a 2t right now- I bet it'll still be there when you are ready to decide.
~Lovelandstella
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

lmyers wrote:Plus the 4T will need the pesky engine oil changed rather than doing the efficient thing and just burning it :wink:
ok, that was funny! :rofl: I didn't expect that
:lol:
~Lovelandstella
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

hell yes its worth it i paid 2800 otd for my new stella last year with warranty and road side assistance

snap that stella up in a heart beat
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Anachronism wrote:WOW.

I paid $3,000 OTD for mine in September, and that was a screaming deal at the time. :)
My 4T is going to come out to just about $4000 OTD.

thats a lot of money to save, deck99 - and you'd get even more with that price..

another thing I can attest to as a 4t "waiter" - you can drive the 2t THIS WEEKEND- I have to sit on my hands...

tough choice (If I were in your shoes) - easy choice for some but we are all different...
let us know what you do or if our advice is not specific enough for ya. (sorry I have so many posts)
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Lovelandstella
deck99

Post by deck99 »

Nice thing about my dealer is that they seem very honest....not pushy...real nice folks. They told me they only sold about 3 units last year and want to get rid of these last two. They have the 4 strokers coming in but they said the delivery date continues to get pushed out. They are now expecting mid summer. And they 2T comes with a 24 month warranty.

He peaked my interest a little on the buddy's. He has like 30 of the '09's in stock. he wants $3100 for the 150's.....

I'm not so familiar with the buddy's...I really like the vintage look and feel of the stella.

The shop is 2 hours from my house....I'm heading down on Saturday ;).

Deck

By they way I love your comments. This seems like a great forum. It's nothing like the cut throat bast@#$s at moped army.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The Stella and the Buddy are two totally different scooters. Both are great in their own way.
www.teamscootertrash.com

Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I bought my 2t last year because I wanted to get one before they were gone.

A HUGE reason that was the case was because of parts and modability.

Just a pipe can make an enormous difference on a 2 stroke, much more so than a 4 stroke.

2t's have an enormous catalog of performance parts to choose from, as they will take most vintage hop-up parts. If you have a 4t and want to boost performance, good luck, at least in the short run. It remains to be seen how much aftermarket support the 4t's get, as it is an engine designed for single model, rather than a GY6 or 2t Vespa design where there is a larger market.

That and I am a big 2 stroke fan. They are simple, make good power, are cheap to replace, and fun to play with. A properly tuned 2t has a sick power curve that just feels sweet.

I own several 2 stroke jet skis- my favorite is a Kawasaki 750sx standup piped, kitted, and carbed to make about 120 horsepower. Hitting the powerband on that sick puppy is indescribable. :)
Valves are for wussies.
redthirst

Post by redthirst »

To the OP: I'm in the same boat as you (probably the same dealer, too, if you're in GA), I can wait and get a creme 4T that I really want, or grab a 2T now for $2900 out-the-door. I mean, that is about a $1000 difference, but I really want that creme 4T.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

redthirst wrote:To the OP: I'm in the same boat as you (probably the same dealer, too, if you're in GA), I can wait and get a creme 4T that I really want, or grab a 2T now for $2900 out-the-door. I mean, that is about a $1000 difference, but I really want that creme 4T.
While I think you'd be ecstatic with either, go with your gut.
Valves are for wussies.
deck99

Post by deck99 »

I'm thinking this won't be my last (son, daughters, and wife)....I'm leaning towards the less expensive 2T now and maybe a 4T next year.....

Properly serviced, I wonder how many miles you can put on a 2 stroker??

deck99
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

deck99 wrote:I'm thinking this won't be my last (son, daughters, and wife)....I'm leaning towards the less expensive 2T now and maybe a 4T next year.....

deck99
There are 2Ts out there that have been around and running since the late 40s so it's a pretty safe bet that if you take care of it, it will last forever. Yeah, you'll have to start replacing stuff as it wears out, but that's not an all-at-once thing.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

deck99 wrote:I'm thinking this won't be my last (son, daughters, and wife)....I'm leaning towards the less expensive 2T now and maybe a 4T next year.....

deck99
A buttload!
www.teamscootertrash.com

loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

I went through this same "anguish" (but it is a sweet pain) several months ago and went with a 2T. Love it, love it, love it. So glad I nabbed one before they are all gone. But either way you go, don't second guess yourself. Just enjoy the ride.
Clearly.
Roose Hurro

Stella or Stella...?

Post by Roose Hurro »

I got a chance to see and sit on a 4T on March 20th, and though I've gotten my heart set on a SYM Symba... and though I really like 4T engines, myself... if I had the opportunity at a 2T at such a savings, I'd really be tempted. Hey, 2T now, 4T later? If that works, do it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
deck99

Post by deck99 »

Roose,
I love those symbas...

deck99
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

deck99 wrote:Roose,
I love those symbas...

deck99
Yep, I've spent some time examining the scoot scene to find something suitable for my two-wheeled needs, and though lack of funds at present means I have to wait, ever since I've heard about the Symba, and given it a look... and gotten to examine the one sitting as a "no-run, no-sale" demo at my local SYM dealer... well, I've found my ideal "scoot". Cheap to run, cheap and easy to service, rep for reliability and durability established by history. Can't beat that. All I need is the funds, and for CARB to get off its a** and approve the Symba for sale in California. My shop says it already passed EPA with flying colors. Well. perhaps this will be a good thing... funds available when the bike's finally available. Keeping my fingers crossed on both counts.........

deck99

Post by deck99 »

Well...just got home from the scoot shop...actually it's a Ducati shop that also sells Genuine scooters.

I snagged the 2 stroke stella. I ended up getting the Stella and 2 brand new matching scooter helmets with hinged face shields for $2500.

I feel good about the purchase. I took it for a little spin when I got home.

LOL! this thing is just plain cool.

Pics to come.

Thanks for all your comments.

deck99
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Congrats, enjoy! 8)

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Good score!

Break it in nice and easy and don't forget to give us that first ride report!
www.teamscootertrash.com

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Sweet. 8)
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

Great deal and great scoot! I just broke 1000 miles on my 2T and every single mile was a smile!
deck99 wrote:Well...just got home from the scoot shop...actually it's a Ducati shop that also sells Genuine scooters.

I snagged the 2 stroke stella. I ended up getting the Stella and 2 brand new matching scooter helmets with hinged face shields for $2500.

I feel good about the purchase. I took it for a little spin when I got home.

LOL! this thing is just plain cool.

Pics to come.

Thanks for all your comments.

deck99
deck99

Post by deck99 »

Man it's fun to ride. I am really surprised at the amount of power the 150 motor puts out.

deck99
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I asked about break in when I bought my 2T Stella. Response? RUN THE DOG **** OUT OF IT!! :shock: I'm not doing that, but I'm not babying it either. Took a while but I'm beginning to really like the 2T. Lately it is being ridden more than the 4 strokes.
BuddyRaton wrote:
Break it in nice and easy and don't forget to give us that first ride report!