Dumb question.....

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dakotamouse

Dumb question.....

Post by dakotamouse »

Why does the 150 Stella get 140 mpg when the 150 Buddy gets 80? And why is the top speed for the Buddy 65 and the Stella 55?

Is it because of the transmission? Manual versus automatic?

Just curious. :?
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Silver Streak

Re: Dumb question.....

Post by Silver Streak »

dakotamouse wrote:Why does the 150 Stella get 140 mpg when the 150 Buddy gets 80? And why is the top speed for the Buddy 65 and the Stella 55?

Is it because of the transmission? Manual versus automatic?

Just curious. :?
Don't count on a 4T Stella (the one I assume you are talking about) getting anywhere near 140 mpg in normal use... maybe 100 if you are light and lucky and easy on the throttle. Most of the remaining difference would indeed be due to the relative lossiness of a belt-drive CVT (where some of the horsepower gets converted to heat from friction instead of "go") compared to the low losses of direct gear drive. This is most true at a steady speed; in stop and go riding, poor shifting technique can negate the differences in efficiency.

If you are talking about the 4T Stella, the claimed top speed is 60+.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Thanks, just wondering. If I had the cash I'd have a whole fleet of scooters and run my own comparisons! :lol:
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

If I had the cash, I'd start my own courier business...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A Buddy 125 is rated at 90+ MPG and plenty of people get that of even more. I'm going to reserve any assumptions about actual MPGs on a Stella 4 until some folks give feedback after engine break in.

But, regarding the differences, think of it this way: Lots of cars have 4 cylinder engines, but they may all perform totally differently and differ I fuel economy. (No, it's not a perfect analogy.) Different engines in different scooters behave differently; displacement is just one aspect. The Buddy gets much higher MPGs than other 125/150 scooters and will smoke most of them off the line.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

here is the major thing that will contribute to better mpgs with the 4 stroke stella it is a manual transmission
back in the day when there were a lot of manual cars the manuals always got better mpg then the autos
and yes the brand new engine desing will paly a role in the better mpg
then you will have the diffreance in gearing that will contribute to better mpg
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm with Eric. I want to hear what people get in real life. I think the trans will make a big difference. Its really a simple set up crank to layshaft to tree to wheel. Ok..there are a few more parts but it is pretty much a direct drive, no belts, variators, rollers, sliders, centrifugal clutch etc.

What is the weight difference? Top end may be metal v. plastic.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

True, what you get for mileage never matches what the sticker says. I love my Italia but I could I'd have a Stella too!