Long Spring Ride from desert to mountains

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Howardr

Long Spring Ride from desert to mountains

Post by Howardr »

After my recent debacle where my Prima pipe fell off during a ride, I've been trying to get back out on the road. I kept having an exhaust leak and related backfiring, but finally solved the problem with a new Prima.
One of many great things about living in the Arizona desert is that you will drive into mountains, almost no matter which direct you decide to drive. Today, I decide to go southeast from Tucson and into the Coronado National forest which goes right down to the Mexico/US border.
I took AZ highway 83 south into Arizona's wine country. Yes, wine country. Actually, as you may notice in a couple of the pics that follow, if it weren't for mountains in the distance, this part of AZ looks a lot like Kansas.
83 is 2 lane, not-so-smooth black-top with less and less traffic the further south you get. Also, the further south I got, the higher the elevation and the cooler if got. It was 70 when I left Tucson and mid-50's at Parker Canyon Lake.
Enjoy:

Image Kansas?

Image There were some excellent twisties on this ride.

Image Buddy on a hill

We've had so much rain, I had to do several water crossings.

Parker Canyon Lake

I couldn't help it. I had to take a little detour.
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
scootergator

Post by scootergator »

Thats some gorgeous territory you have there.
"You cant live in this world but where else can you go?" -Jack Kerouac
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

What a great ride! I'll have to add that to my "dream cross country ride of a lifetime" :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

Looks like a nice ride, Howard. How'd you get from Tucson to Vail/Mountain View?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Old Spanish Trail from Tucson to Vail, then the I-1- access road to get to AZ83. An easier, though less scenic way to get to 83 is to take Houghton Road to Sahuarita Rd east and it ends at 83. If you're coming from Phoenix via I-10 you can also take I-19 to Sahuarita Rd and take it all the way to 83. If you need more routes, i've got 'em.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Nickie McNichols

Post by Nickie McNichols »

Great photos!
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

wow! that was some seriously beautiful scenery. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of you at the moment. Right now michigan is cold and muddy :( But on the bright side it gets so cold here that most stuff that can bite and kill you can't live up here :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

I like the St. Trop. with blackwall tires. Doesn't diminish the effect, just makes it a bit more aggressive looking.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Yep, awesome looking country - was out in Tucson with my son for some rock climbing, camping, mtb riding in February - loved it!

Planning a trip November for the Tour De Tucson again and we want to bring the buddy's so we can hit more distances when not riding the road bikes.

Love Tucson!