Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gas Gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Dan Buddy

2006 Buddy 50, 2008 Stella

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Gas Gauge Reply with quote

So if your gas gauge goes out how do you tell if its the sender in the tank or a wiring issue?
PeterC

2009 Vespa GTS 250, TBA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odds are, it's the sender. Either that or a rear rack mount is crushing the sender wire. I don't know anyone who has a Stella for any length of time who hasn't had gas gauge problems.
jmkjr72

stella and a zuma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge Reply with quote

Dan Buddy wrote:
So if your gas gauge goes out how do you tell if its the sender in the tank or a wiring issue?

you must be having an issue again

im busy this weekend but maybe we can get togehter one of these days when i can bring olive in to town and try to plug my sender into yours and see what we get

im going to try and have olive in town on the 6th for the season opener we may have a ride after but we are also haveing a planning meeting that day too

alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a digital multimeter and a little time, you can tell where the problem is.

Lazy way to check is to remove the cap under the seat that covers the piece that goes into the tank and pull that up and out. Then put the Red/Black on the DMM on the 2 leads, set the DMM to the right setting (I think ohms) and move the switch. It it shows something happened, it's most likely your gauge or the wiring leading to it.

When mine had issues, I pulled it out and cleaned it, checked to make sure the floater was not filled with gas, and put it back and it worked fine after.

cmac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I gave up on looking at the gas gauge. I just get a feel for how far ive ridden and fill up accordingly.

Mine gauge says im empty when its really half full so meh
Dan Buddy

2006 Buddy 50, 2008 Stella

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmac wrote:
Eh, I gave up on looking at the gas gauge. I just get a feel for how far ive ridden and fill up accordingly.

Mine gauge says im empty when its really half full so meh

I rode all of last year that way. I was filling up every 125 miles knowing I could get about 150ish before I would hit reserve but if I can fix this issue without spending too much I would like too.

And yes I did crush the wire when I installed my rack but I have cut out the affected section and it still doesn't work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: