How's this for an out the door cost...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GearGirl

How's this for an out the door cost...

Post by GearGirl »

2009 Buddy 125 for $3181.63, including all taxes, fees, registration, and $65.00 to deliver to my house.

Oh, and Pink or Seafoam? :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

seeeeeeeea foam! :wink:
GearGirl

Post by GearGirl »

Does that sound like a good price? I'm trying to decide if I should go for it now, wait, or look for a used bike!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Seems like a good price to me, especially considering that CA sales tax and licensing fees are higher than in many other states. The price will certainly be higher in the spring. And, yes, seafoam!
GearGirl

Post by GearGirl »

Here's the break down:

Product Code Description Sell Qty Total
BUD125-09 PINK 2009 Buddy 125 Pink (or seafoam) $2699.00
DMV Buddy 125/150 DMV Registration Buddy 125/150 $90.00
PDI Pre-Delivery Inspection $190.00
150 Freight, Buddy 125 /150 $255.50
RECYCLE Tire Tax $3.50
DISCOUNT $400 off sale $-400.00
Tow Deliver to $65.00
Syd

Post by Syd »

1. Do you like the scoot?
2. You have the breakdown of costs. Does everything you see look fair?
3. Can you afford it?
4. Could you stand waiting for it?

If you answered no to any question except #4, you should wait/look used/whatever. Otherwise, get the pink. :lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
brape

Post by brape »

There are pink 09 buddies?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

GearGirl wrote:Here's the break down:

RECYCLE Tire Tax $3.50
Tow Deliver to $65.00
Seems pretty reasonable (I assume the difference between the $2900 listed above and the total of $3181.63 you listed in the op is tax?)

The costs seem pretty decent (set up and freight are a part of buying a scooter unfortunately!). The delivery charge is kind of lame. A good number of dealers will deliver to you for free. You might try to negotiate that. Then again you might live 50 miles away from the dealer so it may be very justified!

Hope you get it!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Looks fair to me. However there have been some killer deals on low milage Buddys recently. No you don't get the warranty, but if I was looking for one I would be going used.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Diablosi05

Post by Diablosi05 »

GearGirl wrote:Here's the break down:

RECYCLE Tire Tax $3.50
Tow Deliver to $65.00
The $2699 is the MSRP. You should be able to negotiate that down a little bit. When I bought my Buddy last year I was able to negotiate the MSRP down about $500. It's worth a shot. Dealers typically don't make a whole lot of money on the sale of new scooters, they make up for it in accessories and service charges. Like I said it's worth a shot to try and bring them down a little bit!
pimaCanyon

Post by pimaCanyon »

Pink!
GearGirl

Post by GearGirl »

Thanks! I'm about maybe 15 miles from the dealer, but they are in the city and I'm outside the city, so it seems like a bigger deal maybe. It looks like I might have a little wiggle room though. I can wait until the summer, so I'm going to keep checking craigslist. There are two on craigslist (one is pink!), but they are both 50cc, so not enough power for me. They've been listed forever, but nothing new that I've caught has come up. I'm checking the used Vespas as well. I have an easy commute, one long country style hwy with a few lights, but parts of it are 45 MPH, and people seem to get up to around 48/49 MPH, so I want and need the extra power.

I have sat on the Buddy, but have not ridden it yet. I think it fits my needs the best as far as size, ease of use, and cost.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

It's just a little thing, but why do you have to pay a tire recycle fee for a new scooter? You pay that when you have a new tire installed if you leave the tire with the shop.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
GearGirl

Post by GearGirl »

I don't know either, but since it's San Francisco it's probably either the norm or the law!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

while the fella in Texas got close to $500 off, you're getting $400 in SF and that is probably pretty good for up there. Also consider if you go used you get no warranty where as if you go new, you will get two years with road side assistance. $400 is about a 15% discount and if you drove it home you'd save another $65.

You'll likely have more luck with accessories thrown in rather than any further discount off the scooter. Do you want a windshield or back rack with Trunk, for instance?

It seems like a good deal for new and if I could have gotten a deal on new I would have. I have 2009 with a bad bearing already and everyone who bought theirs new wouldn't have to pay for parts OR labor and I'll get the privilege of paying for both. The previous owner rode my scooter for 4months then sold it so I got a 4month old 2009 for $2k I'll spend the difference in warranty maintenance and possible towing.
pimaCanyon

Post by pimaCanyon »

jijifer wrote:while the fella in Texas got close to $500 off, you're getting $400 in SF and that is probably pretty good for up there. Also consider if you go used you get no warranty where as if you go new, you will get two years with road side assistance. $400 is about a 15% discount and if you drove it home you'd save another $65.

You'll likely have more luck with accessories thrown in rather than any further discount off the scooter. Do you want a windshield or back rack with Trunk, for instance?

It seems like a good deal for new and if I could have gotten a deal on new I would have. I have 2009 with a bad bearing already and everyone who bought theirs new wouldn't have to pay for parts OR labor and I'll get the privilege of paying for both. The previous owner rode my scooter for 4months then sold it so I got a 4month old 2009 for $2k I'll spend the difference in warranty maintenance and possible towing.
fully agree. The 2 year warranty and roadside assistance is worth at least a few hundred. Seems like the Bay Area is a great place to SELL a used scoot, maybe not such a great place to buy one. I'd consider the new one, I like the warranty and roadside assistance!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Which SF dealer are you working with?

That price seems fair, particularly for SF. $400 is a good discount.

Tire recycle charges: Are you having them put whitewalls on it (or do they have whitewalls on them)? I found out dealers are required by CA law (I think) to have tires processed via a recycler. Dealers have to pay for this service, per tire.
brape wrote:There are pink 09 buddies?
Special order from Genuine only, but yup!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
GearGirl

Post by GearGirl »

I'm not having anything done like tires being changed out, although now I'm leaning in the direction of the Italia, I'm so fickle! The quote is from SF Scooter Center, I'm going to try to head in today as Tuesdays are my day off (I own a store, and weekends are busy so Tuesdays we close). I've been researching Buddy or Vespa, new or used for about 2 years. Seriously. I'm ready to make it happen. I'm telling myself that I could wait until the Summer, but.......
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SFSC is a great shop; they'll treat you right.

If you're going to but new, prices will never be better than they are right now! There are also a lot of good deals on used scoots out there, though it may require some patience and tenacity.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
scootermom

Post by scootermom »

Personally, I'd go with new. Great warranty, lots of good deals out there, and you don't have to worry about what the previous owner may have done that he/she isn't telling you about. AND, you can get exactly what you want when you go with new. Just my $.02, FWIW.
I write about my scooter obsession here:The ScooterMom blog.

Check out myA Hot Piece of Glass Etsy shop!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Great deal in the classifieds
topic14087.html

No warranty....but $1000 covers many repairs and tows.

I never used my warranty...or road service

If you want pink this one is less than half the price of new

topic13673.html
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
metty

Buy that used one!

Post by metty »

Just shows how fast they drop. That one is hardly broken in.
B-rad

Post by B-rad »

Buy Gary's pink scoot!!! Serviced at Scooterworks for it's first service. He will ship, and he is a super nice guy!!! I was gonna buy it until I got a call from home that our heater went the way of the Dodo bird :cry:
My girlfriend prefers heat over a new scoot. I guess she will have to suffer with the Scabby B.O. for a little while longer.
GearGirl

Post by GearGirl »

OK, so as of tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a pink Buddy that I can't even legally ride yet! I'm going in tomorrow afternoon to get my permit and will hopefully be able to take the driving part of the Motorcycle Safety Course on my scooter!

So here is what I did, it might not be the best, but after almost two years of trying to figure out what to do scooter wise, this is working for me! I tested scooters by sitting, getting comfortable and handling (just a bit) a Vespa LX 150, and the Buddy 125 yesterday and this morning. For me, the Vespa is a much more comfortable riding position, I'm not sure why, but the Buddy isn't great comfort wise for me. So, that said I talked to the really cool guy at my Vespa store about the fuel injected ie coming out, and he seems to think they are much better, much, much better. So, for my birthday this summer if they are out I'm going for the LX 150 ie Vespa. So that brings me to the Buddy. I love the Buddy even though I'm choosing the Vespa, and given the new model Vespa, it's probably going to be expensive. There is a 50cc Buddy that I've had my eye on, and she dropped the price way down, and then dropped it again. It's basically priced the same now as a fancy stroller I have and don't use for my two year old, so I'm going to sell that and buy the pink Buddy! I figure I can have a blast with it, ride it around my neighborhood and the to the store, learn on it without much worry, and just make sure I like scootering before investing in the Vespa. If I love scootering and need more power, i'll probably sell (or keep as a second :)) the 50cc Buddy since it is such a wonderful price! I know a 50cc isn't ideal, but I love the idea of learning on this one and well, i get to scooter before this summer when the new Vespa comes out.

Thanks for all the help!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If your happy with it then it is the right choice!
www.teamscootertrash.com

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

brape wrote:There are pink 09 buddies?
IIRC, when dealers pre-ordered last winter, pink was an option. Then when Genuine placed their order with PGO, they had just the preordered pink bikes made up. Aside from those, Genuine didn't order any pink ones, so they weren't available to new dealers or for restocking later in the season, so Genny didn't list it as a 2009 color.

It's usually a good seller, hard to believe there are any still around.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
GearGirl

Post by GearGirl »

There was a pink 125 on the floor at my dealer yesterday!

I'm psyched to learn and have fun on the 50cc. It's less than a year old, less than 800 miles, registered for the next few months.
paige

Post by paige »

Congratulations! You are making a good decision. The 50cc will let you get a feel for riding at an easy price point. You will outgrow it, but will have a much better idea of what you want when it is time for a new bike.

http://www.sfscootergirls.com/
pimaCanyon

Post by pimaCanyon »

Awesome! Great decision, you will have loads of fun on the Buddy and soon you will be the proud owner of a fuel injected Vespa. Wow. Best of both worlds!

Edit: Most states allow you to ride under 50cc two wheelers without a MC endorsement on your license, so you may be able to ride the Buddy legally as long as you have a legal drivers license.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pimaCanyon wrote:Edit: Most states allow you to ride under 50cc two wheelers without a MC endorsement on your license, so you may be able to ride the Buddy legally as long as you have a legal drivers license.
Not California! You need a Class M1 for any size scooter or motorcycle.
pimaCanyon

Post by pimaCanyon »

ericalm wrote:
pimaCanyon wrote:Edit: Most states allow you to ride under 50cc two wheelers without a MC endorsement on your license, so you may be able to ride the Buddy legally as long as you have a legal drivers license.
Not California! You need a Class M1 for any size scooter or motorcycle.
Well, I think California's right on with this one. Never did make much sense to me why you need a motorcycle endorsement to ride a scooter of one engine size, but you do not need a motorcycle endorsement to ride that very same scooter with a different engine size!
antares

Post by antares »

I just bought a new 09 Pomplona 150 last month for $2907 out the door. That included everything taxes and registration. Now thats a good deal.
GearGirl

Post by GearGirl »

My 50cc was $900, it has about 300 miles on it and it's a 2008. I had such a blast trying it out today, I was cautious because I know a Buddy is easy so people can be over confident, but it was so much fun I can't stop thinking about it! I am in LOVE with the Buddy, in love. I might have to re-think the Vespa :wink:. I can't wait until tomorrow when I can ride around a little more, but wwe are getting rain all weekend :cry:!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Congrats! Sounds like you made the right choice if it's made you that happy.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice score. When you are ready to upgrade you should be able to at least break even.
www.teamscootertrash.com