$400 for dropped Vespa...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

purple

$400 for dropped Vespa...

Post by purple »

Can you believe that amount for scratches on the bike I dropped? There wasn't any other damage. I knew because of the "name", it would cost
a lot, but I didn't think that much... Oh well, water under the bridge and all that.

I'll be off work for about 6 weeks. Four of those weeks I have to go to physical therapy for my leg. I received a groin strain and pinched nerve, (siatic nerve), for being curious about a Vespa ride. Never again!!! Someone said putt-putt was probably jealous... :lol: I did go riding yesterday for the first time since I dropped the bike and was kinda nervous. I'm thinking maybe most of it was my fear of my "bad" leg
buckling under when I put it down, then maybe falling over and dropping my near and dear.. Anyway, the leg's feeling much better: I only limp a little now... :oops:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

awful in every way! I think it is nuts to have vespas as rentals. Tupperwear scoots rule for durability. Somebody backed over my buddy, and I swear I could barely find a scratch and I was looking hard since they fessed up and offered to pay for any damage. to be honest I really stress about dropping the vespa b/c i know it is going to cost me dearly. It is a lovely mistress, but sometimes I like the freeom of not worrying and the Buddy fits the bill.

I hope you recover soon too!
purple

$400. dropped Vespa

Post by purple »

peabody99 wrote:awful in every way! I think it is nuts to have vespas as rentals. Tupperwear scoots rule for durability. Somebody backed over my buddy, and I swear I could barely find a scratch and I was looking hard since they fessed up and offered to pay for any damage. to be honest I really stress about dropping the vespa b/c i know it is going to cost me dearly. It is a lovely mistress, but sometimes I like the freeom of not worrying and the Buddy fits the bill.

I hope you recover soon too!
I do have a Buddy, but stupid me wanted to check out the Vespa my boyfriend rented to ride with me. Thanks for the good wishes!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hope you heal up fast!

Where did you rent the Vespa from? I seem to recall when I rented a Vespa in SF I had to buy a minimum amount of insurance that would have covered this sort of thing.

Companies rent Harleys, BMWs and all sorts of expensive motorcycles, so why not Vespas? I just find it odd that purple has to pay out of pocket for damage!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Only $400??? I'm surprised it's not a lot more. The first time I dropped my Vespa the quotes were around $2000. You can't really see it in this pic, but the "cowl" is dented, which is why the repairs would have been so expensive. Glad to hear that you are on the mend.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

$2K! I had a dented legshield and dented and scratched cowl, needed a mirror and new legshield edging and fork cover, new badges and paint. All under $1K (I think; I just paid the deductible).
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rajron

Post by rajron »

purple – hope your recovery goes smoothly

The wife insisted I add a side stand to her GTS; I cautioned her on how unstable the stand can be. After dropping the scooter twice, damaging both cowls she realized how a lot of care is needed when using the stand. I pushed out as much of the dings/smashes as possible, painted buffed, painted buffed, buffed and buffed and buffed, so now only on close inspection is the damaged realized. The wife and I can see the damage from a mile away though.
At times metal can be so much more delicate than plastic.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

rajron wrote: At times metal can be so much more delicate than plastic.
Exactly. It has little to do with Vespa in particular unless Vespa riders are more picky about the appearance of their scoot. Painted metal is just inherently more vulnerable to minor damage and more expensive to repair than replaceable plastic panels. Those Vespas (or any metal scoot) with fresh paint jobs look sooo good. Just remember that repair costs for minor damage can be a nose bleed. (As ericalm pointed out - dropping a new Harley soft tail can be a real downer too. Course not many 19 year olds that have only been riding for 3 weeks own a new Harley soft tail, while there are plenty of new riders on Vespas.)
Nickie McNichols

Post by Nickie McNichols »

I guess this should make me appreciate my "Tupperware" scooter more. I've dropped my Hogs, and spent a whole lot less than $1000 getting them fixed...
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

the more i think about it the more I think I need crash bars on the Vespa.

I assumed you did not need an endorsment to rent the vespa? that is why I made the comment about being suprised they were a rental. If people are riding them w/o an endorsement the chances of an accident are higher.

I have heard the GTS sidestands are prone to error. Problem is the GTS are very heavy for smaller riders and hard to get on the center stand in anything but ideal conditions (FLAT)
purple

$400 vespa

Post by purple »

ericalm wrote:Hope you heal up fast!

Where did you rent the Vespa from? I seem to recall when I rented a Vespa in SF I had to buy a minimum amount of insurance that would have covered this sort of thing.

Companies rent Harleys, BMWs and all sorts of expensive motorcycles, so why not Vespas? I just find it odd that purple has to pay out of pocket for damage!
We rented from Hawthorne Vespa in Torrance. George bought a much more higher amount of insurance than $400. I talked to my insurance company and they said since the rental was in his name, my insurance wouldn't cover the damages. They also said if they were able to cover it, I'd get a point, so it turned out better to fork out the $400.
than have my insurance rates go up. My great guy paid half... Hopefully when we go to the motorcycle show in Long Beach, he'll get the bug and decide to buy a bike!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:$2K! I had a dented legshield and dented and scratched cowl, needed a mirror and new legshield edging and fork cover, new badges and paint. All under $1K (I think; I just paid the deductible).
Dented legshield and scratched cowl is one thing, but a dented cowl is another because they'd have had to drop the motor to get at this dent. It's hard to tell from the picture, but that thing was really dinged up; front fender, legshield, mirrors, floorboard, cowl, exhaust, and more. As Stan's dad pointed out, there was no part on the right side of the scooter that was undamaged. Anyway, I never got it repaired before I traded for a GTS. That damage was from a crash on the first Cannanball, so I'm not sure I ever would have wanted to fix it anyway. :wink: