Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*Please help* 05 Stella with no spark.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
oneandonlylala

Stella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: *Please help* 05 Stella with no spark. Reply with quote

I was giving my scoot a bath the other day and I am afraid I got something wet I shouldn't have. Crying or Very sad

It ran a bit after cleaning it until I shut it off, but now I can't get a spark at the spark plug. It turns over fine though. I took off the flywheel fan and noticed that a gray electric switch thing sitting on top of the big gear (which that flange looks a little damaged too) for the starter looks to be damaged a little. Like it welded itself (open or closed.) Does this deal with the timing of the ignition? Could this be the problem?

I have an older Haynes manual but it doesn’t have this part on it. I have a newer manual on the way. She’s my daily driver. I would like to do the work myself and have nothing but time to fix her.

What do you think? Idea

Man this is my first post too... Laughing
Shane Wilson

'07 Buddy 125 SI, '08 Avocado Stella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess would be that your kill switch has failed.

There is a connector under the horn cast (I can't remember the wire color) that if you disconnect it and the scooter starts, you know it was the kill switch.

Go to stellaspeed.com and search for the words 'kill switch' and you'll find several posts that can help you out.
Shane Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a thread that includes the Stella wiring guide.

http://forums.stellaspeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13391&p=147072&hilit=kill+switch#p147072

It's a good (and easy) place to start.
bcarter

2009 Genuine Stella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my stella for about a week before the kill switch went out. Unfortunately it went out while I was across town and it was raining really hard (some people have said that water may be involved in a shorted kill switch). I had to get it towed and it was a big ordeal, but the shop had it going in five minutes. No joke, they took one look at it and fixed before I had finished telling them how weird the tow-truck driver was. It may take you a little longer because you have to look up which wire to cut, but that is the only reason it is harder. I just had them permanently disconnect my switch, I didn't want the problem to happen again.

Good luck!
Shane Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no wires to cut, just a connector to unhook.

Your horn cast is held on by two screws in the glovebox and one screw underneath the genuine logo on the front.

Once it's off it's just a plastic connector on a single wire in the rat's nest that needs to be disconnected.
oneandonlylala

Stella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She’s alive! Thank you so much. After I disconnected the switch it started great till about a block down the road. I pushed it for a bit then it started up fine. Hmmm I found my spark plug plug wasn’t sitting fully on the plug thanks to that plastic cowl thing. So I trimmed her up a little and she worked till the end of the block again… Then I found I pinched the fuel line by were it goes into the carburetor and the metal thing holding it to that cowl. Well now she runs like a charm! I love my Stella!
cmac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to disable my kill switch tomorrow, I've seen too many threads about that damn switch being the fault for no starts.
verdecalavera

green stella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife as well as another friend had trouble after the first rainfall after each got their stellas, they disconnected the switches and both worked again. i disconnected mine after i got it home knowing that it was sure to fail.
Shane Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped my turn signal/kill switch assembly for the Vespa part and I've been rock solid since.

The kill switch is an actual rocker switch at the bottom of the assembly instead of a momentary contact switch.

I use the kill switch on a regular basis and felt weird not having one, so the vespa part seemed like a logical choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: