Forget to shut off the fuel valve...

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Anachronism

Forget to shut off the fuel valve...

Post by Anachronism »

I keep forgetting to turn off the fuel valve. Am I courting any issues by failing to do so?

I'll make sure I turn it off then I winterize the bike, but keep forgetting to when I ride on a daily basis. Problem?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Yeah, I think it can fill the carb and than have trouble starting. Other than I don't think it will be a huge deal, maybe it might leak into the cylinder? Still that would get pumped out when you crank it... Than again I'm still a noob as far as the 2-strokes go.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I bought my Stella brand-new in the summer of 2006. I have not turned off the fuel valve since I bought it. So far, no problem.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

It's a good idea to shut it off and run out the fuel if you plan to leave it off for a long time. That might help with the gumming up you hear so much about.
The only other shutoff valve on my stuff is on my motorcycle. I always shut it off but don't run out the fuel. Never been a problem. Other people with the same bike never shut theirs off and claim it doesn't matter. Unless you remove the tank. Then it matters. :lol:
sled

Post by sled »

The reason for fuel shutoffs on motorcycles is to prevent a stuck carburator float from draning your gas into the engine. On a four stroke that would seriously contaminate the crankcase oil and/or hydro-lock a cylinder. Newer machines have vacuum shutoffs so you do not need to worry about it. Fuel injected machines have an elecric fuel pump so no shutoff needed. It is best to turn the fuel off on your Stella if it is going to sit a while.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Or draining it onto the ground. It is also a low tech anti theft device. IF they can get it started they are not going to get too far
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Good point, thieves are dumb. :D
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

So am I when I forget to turn it back on and stall in traffic!
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None