Riding on a sheepskin seat cover is almost erotic (picture!)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Riding on a sheepskin seat cover is almost erotic (picture!)

Post by Portland_Rider »

Simply put; it is a nice ride :lol:

A few days ago, I received my new Alaska Leather medium butt pad deluxe (15” x 16”). I ordered the deluxe natural version which is sheared to 1”. The look of this pad is stunning.

Often the stock seat can get uncomfortable after some hours of riding. Imagine sinking into a soft and luxurious yet slightly resilient pad that’s atop your Buddy seat. Imagine the regular vibrations of your scoot's engine softened as it goes through your seat and a new sheepskin cover that you’re sitting on. With the sheepskin, it feels almost like someone special is underneath you as you ride your Buddy.

So far, the longest single ride that I’ve ridden it on was for about two and a half hours. I would imagine that riding on it for four or five hours would make it even more special.

Rolled over onto itself, this pad would make a great camping pillow. I would imagine in the cold weather that the sheepskin seat cover will not be as cold as the stock seat and also not get as hot in the summer.

My only mild small criticism (which I later discussed with Barb the owner) is that the elastic velcro strap that goes under the seat should have been placed slightly forward a couple inches on the pad (to accomodate the Buddy seat) and to have been cut about 4” shorter. This really is a minor issue as I’m just going to take it to a local shoe repair shop to re-adjust it. If I knew how to sew then I could do it myself.

If you want greater comfort on your short rides and especially for longer rides then this pad is something to consider.

BTW, see Special MB Member Discounts and Specials in the For Sale/Wanted Section before you order.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/StoreFront
Last edited by Portland_Rider on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paige

Post by paige »

Whoa, TMI.
louie

Post by louie »

i got one of those for my mc and it is everything you said it was. i've not gotten uncomfortable on my buddy but the thumper does get a little stiff after a while.
wow, read out of context this is quite lude...but the cover is sweet.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

With the sheepskin, it feels almost like someone special is underneath you as you ride your Buddy.
Thanks, now I gotta wipe a mouthful of coffee off my monitor.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

charlie55 wrote:
With the sheepskin, it feels almost like someone special is underneath you as you ride your Buddy.
Thanks, now I gotta wipe a mouthful of coffee off my monitor.
You're welcome :rofl: My posts are usually about serious scooter issues (ie safety or technical questions, etc) so I'm having fun with this one.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Any pic's? Not interested in seeing your :D as you sit on it....... just a shot of the cover on the scoot.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

paige wrote:Whoa, TMI.
Going on the assumption that TMI does refer to 'Too Much Information' then why did you choose to click open to read a post with the word 'erotic' in the topic line?

Anyways, if my post was too much information for you be sure not to visit San Francisco during the Love Fest, Folsom Street Fair, or Pride Weekend. That would be really scary for you.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Portland_Rider wrote:Anyways, if my post was too much information for you be sure not to visit San Francisco during the Love Fest, Folsom Street Fair, or Pride Weekend. That would be really scary for you.
Plus you'd be taking up space that the rest of us would like to use. :D
paige

Post by paige »

Portland_Rider wrote:
Going on the assumption that TMI does refer to 'Too Much Information' then why did you choose to click open to read a post with the word 'erotic' in the topic line?

Anyways, if my post was too much information for you be sure not to visit San Francisco during the Love Fest, Folsom Street Fair, or Pride Weekend. That would be really scary for you.
It was a funny response to what I imagine was supposed to be a funny post.

(You mean the Folsom Street Fair I was just at? Or the Pride Festival I ride in every year?)
Last edited by paige on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Lil Buddy wrote:Any pic's? Not interested in seeing your :D as you sit on it....... just a shot of the cover on the scoot.
I don't have a digital camera though I do have a blackberry. I believe that all I need is a cable link to then move the pic to my computer to then send to MB. It can be done but I'm not sure how.

BTW, not to worry, I'm not into posting pics of myself online on the scoot 8) not that there would be anything wrong with that.
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

All we had in New Orleans was the decadence festival :shock: and Mardi Gras

That seat sounds nice though.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

paige wrote:
Portland_Rider wrote:

It was a funny response to what I imagine was supposed to be a funny post.

(You mean the Folsom Street Fair I was at last weekend? Or the Pride Festival I ride in every year?)

My apologies then!

I thought by TMI you were being a morally-superior uptight boring critic to my (what I thought were) mild comments about the comfy sheepskin seat cover. I was last at the Folsom Street Fair in 2007 (I moved from SF in 2008). You ride with the Ladies Motorcyle Contingent or whatever name it is now using?

I'm now surprised that you didn't write TLI Too Little Information.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Break out the PAR!! (perspective adjustment ray)
Aiming...aiming...hey, Portland_Rider! Hold still for a sec...(aiming...!)

This might tingle for a moment...better sit on your sheepskin. :lol:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

In all seriousness. (What? Don't give me that look! :lol: )

1" shear is the way to go. I don't have one on my scooter, but I do have one for my computer chair...that might get cannibalized for a chair cushion for the torture devices they call desks at school. :shock: Molded polymer for over an hour. NO THANK YOU. 1" shear is medical standard for pressure relief.

How easy is it to take off? Does it fit in the pet carrier? My biggest reason for not having one on Puca yet is I'm worried about rain. Whatcha think?
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Cheshire wrote:In all seriousness. (What? Don't give me that look! :lol: )

1" shear is the way to go. I don't have one on my scooter, but I do have one for my computer chair...that might get cannibalized for a chair cushion for the torture devices they call desks at school. :shock: Molded polymer for over an hour. NO THANK YOU. 1" shear is medical standard for pressure relief.

How easy is it to take off? Does it fit in the pet carrier? My biggest reason for not having one on Puca yet is I'm worried about rain. Whatcha think?

Haha :D

Yeah, school desks in schools can be brutal. I can't believe people pay so much money to attend a brick and mortar school to sit in a torture chair.

The pad that I have is 15" x 16" and sorta narrows in a curve toward the front. One single elastic strap with velcro runs underneath the seat. The sides come down somewhat on either side of the seat. Mine covers about 80% of the length of seat and a bit less on the sides. If you're going to get one, the deluxe sheared pad that I have is great. Spending a few more dollars takes it from one grade to a much hgher grade of sheepskin. Their Rally specials are a cheaper grade B yet not as nice a grade of sheepskin as the Deluxe grade A. I elected not to get a cover that would cover 100% of my Buddy seat as I found it unneccessary, more costly, and to take up more storage space when I take it off. Yes, you can easily roll it over and put it under your seat. It does not take up much room.

Spend a bit of time on their site reading up on it. Don't get a black cover if you don't have a black seat as there is a 10% chance the black can bleed a bit. Mine is the natural unstained sheepskin with some darker and lighter areas to it. Absolutley beautiful and one of a kind.

Here is a link to the model I have yet the picture is not the specific color I own.
Medium Buttpad Deluxe
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/serv ... %2C/Detail

You can always call Barb the owner with specific questions and add in details when you order.

Keep in mind that if you go with the naturals, no two are alike since they are not stained. If you have a preference for lighter or darker shades, you need to clarify it with Barb.

Hopefully after speaking with me and my multiple questions and other details that I emailed Barb, she is now an expert on everything Buddy.

I just laid the skin atop my pillow and laid my head down on it. Very nice. I'm going to try sleeping on it tonight as an extra pillow layer or maybe just roll it up as a single pillow.

Both on their site and in my conversation with Barb, she said not to worry about the rains. It's a sheepskin! Barb said that if it is raining out to skip putting it on yet if it starts raining while you are riding not to stop and put it away. It won't get damaged. She said that it can actually be washed! I'm going to call back when it needs cleaning to verify that specifically.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

So say your away from your Buddy and while away it rained or is raining.I assume you would need to remove the cover so as not to soak your bottom with water? Do you just squeeze out the excess water and put your cover in your underseat storage? Other than rain,I think its a great product for sure.
Aerosmith, None Other.
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

Portland_Rider wrote: I just laid the skin atop my pillow and laid my head down on it. Very nice. I'm going to try sleeping on it tonight as an extra pillow layer or maybe just roll it up as a single pillow.
That might not be a wise thing after a long ride and a stop at taco bell.
Last edited by nateandcourt on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

BuddyLicious wrote:So say your away from your Buddy and while away it rained or is raining.I assume you would need to remove the cover so as not to soak your bottom with water? Do you just squeeze out the excess water and put your cover in your underseat storage? Other than rain,I think its a great product for sure.
According to Barb, the owner of AL, if the skin gets soaked just smack it against a tree or pole type object to shake loose the wetness. If it looks like it is going to rain (and it hasn't yet rained) the cover would later make a great thing to place atop your regular wet Buddy seat (after maybe wiping off the excess water) after the rain stops. I really don't yet know as I'm new to this sheepskin cover.

If I was going to leave my scoot for more than a few minutes, I'd simply pull it off my seat which takes about two seconds and store it in a topcase or the pet carrier.

Most likely, in most decent areas, no thief is going to cut the underlying straps and runoff down the street with a piece of sheepskin. Still, to prevent possible theft, and since the sheepskin cover is so easy to remove, I wouldn't leave it on my seat anymore than I'd leave my gloves in an open basket. Just to be safe.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

I notticed you got the 15x16 size. Would the cover that is 12 x16 be too small for the Buddy? Or is it doable.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

schroeder wrote:I notticed you got the 15x16 size. Would the cover that is 12 x16 be too small for the Buddy? Or is it doable.
Personally, I don't know.

While 12" goes beyond the width of the Buddy seat, I asked Barb at AL that question and she was against that size since our body weight and impact area tend to push in the cover size downward towards the center a bit reducing the seating coverage.

Again, I'm no expert on the seat covers and interested riders should direct questions to Barb.
michelle_7728

Riding on a sheepskin seat cover

Post by michelle_7728 »

I don't have a digital camera though I do have a blackberry. I believe that all I need is a cable link to then move the pic to my computer to then send to MB. It can be done but I'm not sure how.
I have a Blackberry Curve, and here's how I do it:
Take the picture, find it on your phone, make it full screen, select "Options", scroll down and select "Send as email", send the email to yourself, open the picture up in your email, then save it to your hard drive. Now you can post it here.

Here's a shameless example--my new scooter ("Spike") loaded down after getting home from work. :)
Attachments
Loaded down after work.JPG
Loaded down after work.JPG (150.55 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Michelle,

This is a great start. I took the pics and emailed them to myself. Currently, they are beyond 800 pixels so I cant post them. Not sure how to deal with this issue.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Man, I keep seeing questions about posting pics. Frequently Asked Questions at that. You'd think the management would maybe offer some insight as to how to post a pic or import it through a photo sharing site.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

Lostmycage wrote:Man, I keep seeing questions about posting pics. Frequently Asked Questions at that. You'd think the management would maybe offer some insight as to how to post a pic or import it through a photo sharing site.
http://www.picresize.com/
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

nateandcourt wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:Man, I keep seeing questions about posting pics. Frequently Asked Questions at that. You'd think the management would maybe offer some insight as to how to post a pic or import it through a photo sharing site.
http://www.picresize.com/
I appreciate you posting that link. Unfortunately, when I tried using the feature, this is the message that I got:

Cannot create image of such type

Mine is a jpg taken with my blackberry camera and then sent to my home email before trying to post here.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Here is my seat cover:
Attachments
rsz_1sheepskinseat_cover_01_(2).jpg
rsz_1sheepskinseat_cover_01_(2).jpg (130.5 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

the original source of the image should not matter, as long as it is stored on your pc in the correct format. (JPG, GIF, PNG, or BMP)
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

That does look comfy!
Is it available a bit longer? I would not want to hog all of the booty cushion while riding 2up

Portland_Rider wrote: just smack it against a tree.
Also a nice way to anger both tree huggers and peta in one swift motion. :P
Last edited by nateandcourt on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Thats a darn good color match with your seat. You say the strap is to long...... a quick release buckle would allow you to dial in the right length, and make putting it on/off a real snap :wink:
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

nateandcourt wrote:That does look comfy!
Is it available a bit longer? I would not want to hog all of the booty cushion while riding 2up

Yes, it's available longer. The medium long is 4" longer than my seat cover yet the same width. I would suppose that they can also do custom sizes. Then again, you can just use tie-downs to secure your passenger to the rear rack.

Here is a link to their standard size page:
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/serv ... Categories

While I sense that we would have a few good laughs over a cup of coffee at a cafe, be careful about making those social value comments here. :lol:
Last edited by Portland_Rider on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Lil Buddy wrote:Thats a darn good color match with your seat. You say the strap is to long...... a quick release buckle would allow you to dial in the right length, and make putting it on/off a real snap :wink:
That is a very good idea.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

Nice looking color. Is that the silver or charcoal? Getting ready to order one. Thanks
Me? I ride for the bugs!
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

schroeder wrote:Nice looking color. Is that the silver or charcoal? Getting ready to order one. Thanks
Mine is a mix of natural (non-died) charcoal, silver, grey, along with that naturally occuring black stripe. Each one is different. Yours will be unique and beautiful in its own way.

I suggest speaking with Barb before you place your order online. I sense that she is better to speak with than any of her staff. Let her know what you are looking for. She will definitely remember the man from Portland who rides a Buddy so you can use mine as reference.

Be sure to get the deluxe as the skins are of higher quality. Again, mine is natural deluxe sheared to 1".
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

Portland_Rider wrote:
nateandcourt wrote:That does look comfy!

Yes, it's available longer. The medium long is 4" longer than my seat cover yet the same width. I would suppose that they can also do custom sizes. Then again, you can just use tie-downs to secure your passenger to the rear rack.

Here is a link to their standard size page:
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/serv ... Categories

While I sense that we would have a few good laughs over a cup of coffee at a cafe, be careful about making those social value comments here. :lol:
You are probably right. I should have worded it better. :D
rajron

Post by rajron »

That cover is a great idea, and very reasonable; I have a sheep skin/fur cover in my car, should have realized it would be good on the skoot as well – I want one.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Cheshire wrote: My biggest reason for not having one on Puca yet is I'm worried about rain. Whatcha think?
Have you ever heard a sheep worry about getting caught in the rain?? :rofl:

I think I'm going to look for something for the fall and winter..... touchas comfort, Good thinking....