Stella on wish list and have some questions.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Buddy_wannabe

Stella on wish list and have some questions.

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Are the tires tubed?

What kind of speed do you get out of each gear?

I have heard that they are kind of high maintenence. Are they?
And what kind of maintenence are we talking about?
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

If you keep it stock, it's not really high maintenance, just a bit temperamental. Keep oil in it, change your gear oil every couple thousand miles and don't let it set for weeks and months on end. I've got 25k on mine and my big issues are a short in the horn wire that causes it to go off when I shift into first and a loose connection in my left rear turn signal. woo.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Stella's tires are tubed, which makes for an easy change when it's new tire time. Also, Stella carries a spare. Although I'm usually too busy to check my exact shift points,I'd say that First is good to 5 mph, Second up to 20, and Third up to an indicated 40. As pointed out before, if you keep everything fairly stock, you'll stay out of trouble. IMHO, 2-strokes do not deliver the same smooth, appliance-like performance as 4-strokes, but they are much more fun.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well i just broke 1000 miles on mine and havent realy had any big issues some wireing stuff my dealer is taking care of

i shift from first at about 5 then from second about 15 and you can get 40 to 45 before leaving 3rd and have toped out at 60 on the flats

just like any two stroke as long as you keep it mild and use a good oil(i like ipone) and keep a plug with you a 2 stroke is a great scoot to ride

in the end they are much easier to work on then a 4 stroke and have more power
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Y'all shift into 2nd gear at 5mph? I was told to shift at 10mph. Is this just during the break-in, or just b/c I'm carrying extra weight? Or was I steered wrong?
ModBud #442
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

5mph is a little soon. I agree, poli, I shift into 2nd between 10 and 15mph. If you shift at 5mph, why bother. Just start in 2nd gear.
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Poliana you just shift when it tells you it's time to shift. There's nothing precise about it. I do like to make mine scream, however.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Yeah, first should get you to around 10MPH when warmed up. But its a little different for everyones Stella. just change gears when you feel its time, it will make sense more as you ride.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Okeh, *whew* :D And yes, I shift when I "feel" it, which is closer to 10mph, sometimes going to 15. I should have been more precise...about being less precise!
ModBud #442
UglyandProud7

Post by UglyandProud7 »

Shifting. I usually find myself over 10 before shifting to 2nd, over 20s I hear her askin for 3rd which I take around 40 before flying in 4.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

HOWDY, UglyandProud7!!! :P
ModBud #442
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

having switched from a buddy 150 to the stella a meer 7 days ago, it was a little disappointing for the first day or so. But, I have to admit that this was more due to the learning curve of figuring out how to efficiently drive it and get comfortable with the feel of it. It's never gonna set a land-speed record but it's just damn sexy! I have a few issues to work out with it, but I can't see wanting to ride the automatic at the moment. the first day or so, I could have but not now!

My issues are that it bogs down when you throttle, if you haven't throttled in a bit. This issue doesn't seem to be related to the scooter warming up. clogged jet? I also have an electrical issue where my headlamp and the lights on the control panel kept cutting out on me the other night. I'm sure these are simple fix issues that i'll work out with my dealer. but did i mention how sexy it is................