Did I "assume" wrong?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Buddy_wannabe

Did I "assume" wrong?

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

My battery has been crapping out for awhile so I have to kick start it all the time now ....... I thought I would just wait till next year to get a new one. I "assumed" that the the scooter running would produce enough power to run the lights/blinkers/horn and brake light . Apparently I am mistaken. When I rode tonight headlight / running lights and "dash" light were pretty dim. Blinkers / brake light / horn did not work at all :(

So would the battery being bad cause this or is there another issue going on?
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Its the battery.

powerstarsla.com

7A-BS is the battery type

that was the cheapest I could fine. Its been in my scooter for atleast 6 months and the battery is still working just fine.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Yeah, they don't work well without a battery. I've got a friend who's Buddy has a bum battery and his blinkers are irregular, and his lights are dim.
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Does running it with a bad battery do any other harm to the electrical system?
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Buddy_wannabe wrote:Does running it with a bad battery do any other harm to the electrical system?
Nope, no harm done. It can even be rewired a bit to work correctly
Without the battery.
broke

Post by broke »

In fact, the bum battery is probably representing a load you'd rather not have on the charging system. But, I don't know the ramifications of just disconnecting the battery... (perhaps that load is necessary to keep the charging system's voltage in check...?)
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

The battery does act as a buffer for the electrical system, kind of like a capacitor. As long as you still have your regulator installed you shouldn't fry anything, any voltage spikes will just get grounded to the frame. Ran across all of this information when atttempting to get a HID setup to work on my 2 stroke Rattler. Ended up just going with a PIAA HS1 :?
EZPZ #65
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

I know that some scooter and moped owners switch to a capacitor system to save weight, but it doesn't sound like the advantages overcome the many disadvantages.