Stella is running, and I'm lovin' it!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

etak

Stella is running, and I'm lovin' it!

Post by etak »

So, last fall, after my husband decided he wanted a scooter too, we bought the Stella. My husband rode it a couple of times (got pretty good at popping wheelies), but after riding my Buddy, he decided he wanted a TnG. (Yeah, I guess I kind of talked him into a shifter.) Anyway, one day she just wouldn't start, so we got a battery tender to see if that was the problem. Still wouldn't start, so she sat all winter, with a tankful of gas. I was worried . . .

This spring my husband got a nice deal on a used Vespa LX150. One day it wouldn't start! (He's an occasional weekend rider, not daily like me.) Put it on the battery tender. Nothing. Anyway, turned out the battery tender was a POS. Got a new one. Vespa started fine. So we hooked the Stella up to the tender, but only got around to digging her out from the back of the garage this weekend. Started right up!! Put some Stabil in her and went for a nice ride. I had a blast! :D

Only problem - I only rode about an hour, and ended up with a huge blister on the inside of my left thumb. Is there anything I can do (other than develop a nice big callous)? I haven't done a thorough search, but I couldn't fine a dog leg lever for the shifter lever of a Stella. Is there one?
What do people with small hands do??
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

Frankie 2 Tone

Post by Frankie 2 Tone »

I wear gloves............never got a blister that way.
Kickin' it hard to the Rock Steady Beat!!!!!!!!
etak

Post by etak »

I was wearing gloves - good leather ones! :?

But maybe the lever at Scooterworks will work. They picture one lever and it says $9. You wouldn't need a L or R one? At Scooter Mercato they specify a pair ($14). Same part number. I'd just as soon replace both anyway.

When I wrote my OP I had only looked at ScooterWest, and with the ones they have it specifically says "Does NOT fit on Stella."
Like a bird on the wire,
-Leonard Cohen

murmur

Post by murmur »

the left and right hand levers on a stella are different. The right (brake) has an extention to activate the hyd. brake. you could call a shop before you order one to ensure that you are getting what you need.
etak

Post by etak »

Thanks. I will.
Like a bird on the wire,
-Leonard Cohen

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

The dogleg from Scooterworks is what lmyers uses. I might change it up, too, after I break mine in. I think my shifting issues are more about user error than my size XS hands. :oops:
ModBud #442