I have a part dillema

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasondavis48108

I have a part dillema

Post by jasondavis48108 »

The wheels that bakaracer has for the Buddy are beautiful. I want them on my scooter very badly and the price is very fair. I have been discussing shipping arrangments, but today I noticed that the size of the buddy 50 wheels are 2.15X10 (never knew the size was on the rim just like bicycle rimes). The wheels bakaracer has are 2.32X10. I couldn't talk to the guy I usually talk to at my dealer today, but the other mech said he probably would not buy the wheels cause its a real gambel as to wether or not the extra width would fit. My question for those who may know is can a wider than stock wheel be mounted on the buddy? My dealer said that if they were too narrow he could have spacers made for me, but what do you do (if anything) for wheels that are to wide?
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ScooterNews

Post by ScooterNews »

You can grind the spacers down to make a larger wheel fit but you're also going to have to worry about your front brake rotor. Will the stock rotor mount on the new wheel? If not, how do you plan on stopping?
www.scooter-news.com

cheers,

Ryan Carden
Editor/Contributor - Scooter-News.com
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It seems to me that I heard somewhere that "You can grind the spacers down to make a larger wheel fit but you're also going to have to worry about your front brake rotor. Will the stock rotor mount on the new wheel? If not, how do you plan on stopping?"

As beautiful as the wheels are, I wouldn't buy them unless they had been fitted to a Buddy and tested before.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Lostmycage wrote:It seems to me that I heard somewhere that "You can grind the spacers down to make a larger wheel fit but you're also going to have to worry about your front brake rotor. Will the stock rotor mount on the new wheel? If not, how do you plan on stopping?
:rofl: Yeah, for a while those duplicate posts were reproducing like rabbits, weren't they?
jasondavis48108

well, I broke down and went to my dealer (needed a black rear rack and front rack anyway) to talk about the wheels. My dealer confirmed that the difference is small enough that I could probably have a machinist grind them down enough to fit. I was told that the front brake rotor would fit with these wheels but I'm going to take some measurements today to double check that they match. I also need to call around to see how much money it would cost to have a machinist do the nessessary modifications to the wheels. Has anyone ever had anything like that done? About how much do you think I'd be looking at? This may well be a winter project.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

now, this is just my thoughts not professional mechanic here:

tires are very important (duh) and well, if you are going to have to do all sorts altercations just to make these fit your scoot then I'd say NOT worth it. As Frank Lloyd Wright was says "Form and function should be one" Maybe I'm misunderstanding your want of these tires but it is all about form (pretty) then this doesn't sound like a good union (your scoot and these tires). Can it be done? Sounds like it, but then form and function are not one.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

I may be way off here but.......don't the 50's and 125/150's have different sized tires? Are the rims different size? If the rims are the same and PGO puts larger tires on said rim and smaller tires on the same rim.....dosen't that prove it can be done?
jasondavis48108

Lil Buddy wrote:I may be way off here but.......don't the 50's and 125/150's have different sized tires? Are the rims different size? If the rims are the same and PGO puts larger tires on said rim and smaller tires on the same rim.....dosen't that prove it can be done?
the 50s and 125s have different wheels for sure though I'm not sure if they are the same size or not. I went in and talked to my dealer today. He said that putting the wheels on the Buddy should be doable though I may have to have them machined to fit. I've been in contact with bakaracer and told him that I am going to contact a machinist to see what it would cost to have them machined down so they would fit. The wheels are really nice looking and if the cost is anywhere near feasable I'm gonna do it. I may have to purchase the wheels and then save a bit so I can afford to have them machined and mounted. The wheels are very well priced and so long as it can be done safely and not insanely expensive I think its worth it to have a very rare set of wheels. In fact I've never seen a Buddy with non-stock wheels so this would be very cool. I also want to say that bakaracer has been awesome in answering all of my many many questions. Hopefully this works out well and we will then have an option besides stock when it comes to wheels for the Buddy :D
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

jasondavis48108 wrote:....... I also need to call around to see how much money it would cost to have a machinist do the nessessary modifications to the wheels.......
I am a machinist ...... if anyone wanted somthing like that done I would want them to tell me exactly what they wanted , not make "this fit this"

The rims are different looks wise on the 50's and the 125's. The 50's are more spoke like , the 125's are more filled in. Size wise I dont have a clue.
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
jasondavis48108

Thanks buddy_wannabe since the original wheels are 2.15 inches and the new ones would be 2.32 inches that gives a diff of 0.17 inches so my guess is that I would need them to take 0.17 inches of material off of the hub. or possibly 0.085 inches off of the hub and the mounting surface. I'm going to take some measurements with my caliper tomorrow to see what I'm looking at and see if I can't get bakaracer to give me the coresponding measurements of his wheels. That way I'll know exactly what would need to be done.