Buddy 70cc feels the heat, help!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mojobuddy70cc
Banned

Buddy 70cc feels the heat, help!!

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

hi from raleigh ,nc, glad to be a part of this forum, it is really cool to be able to find more buddy riders, i have maybe 10-15 in my area of 1 million people and lots of bikes.,, i get sked by other scooter riders alll the time "what kind of scooter is that"??
,,well yesterday was the first of many 95+ daze here in the sunny carolinas, the humidity was up there as we had rain the day b-4. i took a " normal ride of about 20+ miles thru the city, took 3 stops.,, the last leg home i had to get on it on a traffic merge a bit ( i normally cruise the 4 lane city parkways,etc,, so i have to WOT for about 5 blocks and make the turn, i hit it back to NCS(normal cruising speed) 40-45 and down a small incline i loose power, it dies, it`s 4-30 pm and about 95degrees. i`m about 1 mile from my house, i tried after cooling down and no start.hmm is it a heat seizure. the gas and oil are always checked every fill up,( 3 times a week) all good,
it does have a 70cc kit, about 1000k on it now, the bike has 3k+ on it but runs smooth. when i 1st had the kit on it did bog a bit and shut off a couple times, dealer made a few adjustments and it`s runnin like a top. so did i get a heat seizure,?? (like the one i thought i was gonna have pushing it)!! lol i gave it a rest and i`m gonna try it this a.m. to start.
i`m glad i did`nt call rd-side asst. 1 tow every 7 days, so i would have had to wait 7 more days to get it to the shop ( under warranty, nice feature),,shhh!! about the mods,, i`m guessing the mods might be some part of my issue here, but would like the wellspring of ideas from the forum. thnx and ride safe,,,
mojo
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Just a guess, is your bike an '08? If it is, its more likely the vapor lock issue. Search the forums, there's tons of info on it.
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

thanks voo

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

,, nope but it`s an `o8 but i guess that could be an issue i`ll check it out
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

oops

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

it`s an `o9 buddy
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

If you have tried restarting and it still doesn't start I am going to guess you seized it as that is what I did. Have the shop check your compression (unless you have the ability to do so) it should be at least 100. When I seized mine i had about 7 lbs of compression.
The joys of a modded out bike. I hope for your sake it is not seized, but it is a very high possibility.
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

thanks buddy love

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

,, well i tried to kick-start too to check the compression and it feels tooo
EZ,,i`m afraid you`re right, so what can i expect if that is the case ugghh,
the 70cc kit is about a month old, the shop guys are pretty good since i bought there and they did the kit job,hmmm and i still have the 50cc head it came with,,, thanks
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

If it is seized you will have to put a new kit in it. The rings and piston are most likely damaged. It was just too much stress on the poor lil machine especially in the hot weather. Especially with such a new 70cc kit, you really got to take it easy for a while. (Although mine happened 5000 miles after I put the kit in but I was also driving too fast, too long) Sucks that it happened to you, but hopefully they can fix it fast and get you back on the road.
Taz

Post by Taz »

I would bet it was probably jetted on the lean side or had a heat seizure which often can be prevented by richer jetting. That is the downside of highly tuned 2 strokes. They are more likely to fail. Read some of my other posts and I clearly spoke about this. Two strokes are much more sensitive to tuning mistakes. You have to leave a little margin for error when tuning them.

At 1000 miles it would have already been broken in. There also could have been a gasket or seal leak that could have caused it to lean out. I once had a customer who forgot to fill up his oil injector tank and seized the motor that way.

With any luck you won't have damaged anything in the bottom end like the crankshaft. If so you are looking at some serious repairs. You realize of course there is no way this should be covered under warranty. Can you take out the spark plug and see if there is any metal that has welded itself to the plug? If so, this is a very bad sign. No compression of course is a bad sign but rings can break and cause that damage. If things seriously started to melt then you'd know if you had a pretty bad seizure.
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

thanks taz

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

,,yup i did take out the spark plug, it was fine , no gunk,metal, oil,etc looked like it was burning clean, hope that was not too clean that plug was only 3 weeks old, i used to work in a VW garage in the late 70`s just outta hi-school,
i do check the oil and plugs in air-cooled engines as a creature of habit, i`ve never filled up and not toped the oil res/just to the proper neck mark.
if anything i have baby`d my scoot since the top kit, think i had it up to 60 mph once and backed off. but oh well shit does happen. i did try to kick it over and it did actually "pop" the 1st couple times, then elec/start a few times and gave it up, did the throttle jive, 1/4, 1/2,no throttle works sometime if flooded. nope not on FT either, smelled fuel and stopped.
so the shop is the next stop.,, but there is no oil or engine puke, like i said it has shut off in the same spot on the incline twice, strange, never started this time,,and yes i hope there is no crankcase damage.,, i`m hoping i can get a loner or at least rent a bike until it`s fixed,, as my capt. on the ship once told me in a bad storm " these are the days when we earn our money",,
no shit
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

Dude, For long times ago, I had minibike. I was used to modifed my 50cc YSR Yahama and rode it so fast reach the 75mph, and fun, but use my own judgment.

Anyway I guaranty would modify buddy 50 into 70cc kits asap. I am sorry what happened to you and your sweet scooter.. I advice you better check sparkle plug, if sparkle got burn look like little damage. it can tell you. I hope you will be solve asap.

I wish you best luck! ;)
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

SCOOT3R wrote:Dude, For long times ago, I had minibike. I was used to modifed my 50cc YSR Yahama and rode it so fast reach the 75mph, and fun, but use my own judgment.

Anyway I guaranty would modify buddy 50 into 70cc kits asap. I am sorry what happened to you and your sweet scooter.. I advice you better check sparkle plug, if sparkle got burn look like little damage. it can tell you. I hope you will be solve asap.

I wish you best luck! ;)
What the hell?

.....mojo you be solved yet?
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

mojo update thankkx ya`ll

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

,, as of tues/4pm the mojobuddy has been picked up and is on the way to the dealer/shop, caled and the guys said they would be all over it as it is my "work truck" they no it and it is also a sort of beloved Buddy @ the shop, they pimped it out, mirrors, pipes top kit,,undercarriage led`s, topcase,, really want a front chrome rack to go wif the fender and the handle bar chrome.,, but hopefully the mystery will be solved for as lilttle $ as possible.. stay tuned to as the mojo mystery goes on, hopefully us "kit kats" will learn a few things..
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Awww, our buddies are hanging out at the shop together. :D
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

good company

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

lol jess yup well at least our scoots are in a really good place, wish they were both home. ,,hmm if our Buddy`s could talk,?we so, so ,so need a
pic of the 2 after this,,could be one for the Genuine owner album,