Puff and Go

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Coffeejunkie

Puff and Go

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Over the past few weeks I've seen three of four guys puffing on a cigarette while riding their scoot. (The best being a guy on a large Yamaha 250cc scoot wearing shorts, short sleeve shirt, flip flops, a half helmet and smoking on a huge fricking cigar.)

I'm NOT trying to start a rant thread, I really just find the smoking while scooting thing amusing. I really want to know if this is a common thing?
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Vic

Post by Vic »

I see MC riders around here smoking and riding. Often also wearing a ballcap.

I don't understand how they keep the cigarette lit and don't get burned, or how they don't lose their hats for that matter...

I don't get it.

-v
PeterC

Puff and go

Post by PeterC »

It's rather like smoking during sex ... poor form.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

One of the guys in our meetup is proud to lay his claim to this skill. Fortunately, he was bringing up the rear on the one ride I've been on so far, so I didn't get any ash in my jacket (but also didn't get to watch him do it).
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

It's one of the few places a person can legally smoke.... for now.
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Funny to see this post now. I just saw my first smoking scooterist last night and noticed how odd it looked. I wondered how many MPH you could go before the wind ripped the cigarette out of your mouth? Also, wouldn't ashes and embers in your eyes be a problem?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ScootStevie

Re: Puff and go

Post by ScootStevie »

PeterC wrote:It's rather like smoking during sex ... poor form.
I think you just hit it on the head
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

For those that smoke, it is common to smoke while riding. I smoke regularly when I ride. Not a big deal. I ride with a number of scooterists that smoke.

One of the reasons I wear a modular is so I can smoke while I ride.

bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

puff and go? dont you do this before you ride? or go to work? i dont think you should let people see you.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

For the seemingly interminable time I was in college and got around primarily by bicycle, I smoked. And while riding.
so tough, so pink
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I heard on the elevator today after the Vespa Boutique Party down in SD that there were several smokers on the ride from the Vespa store and that many other dropped out of the ride because they didn't think it was safe or pleasant to be down wind.

I don't think that's enough to have me drop off a ride but yea, I think smoking while in group formation ain't cool either.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

what about riding behind a 2 stroke?
(I know they have cherry scented 2 stroke oil)
or someone who ate too many bean burritos?
(there ain't nuthin you can do for that)
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

LisaLisa wrote:what about riding behind a 2 stroke?
(I know they have cherry scented 2 stroke oil)
or someone who ate too many bean burritos?
(there ain't nuthin you can do for that)
Vick's vapor rub. Just a tiny bit between upper lip and nose. :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I know riders who do this.

Doesn't bother me as much as the guy who rides smoking big ol' stinky cigars. The cigarette guys suck 'em down and toss them. The cigar lasts forever.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

I do it ... it isnt that big of deal except on real windy days.

I also think that with all the new laws that they are infringing on smokers rights.
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
DanteG

Post by DanteG »

I like your quote, but isn't it The Clash ... "Lost In The Supermarket?"
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

DanteG wrote:I like your quote, but isn't it The Clash ... "Lost In The Supermarket?"
Checking.....Checking

Yup, it's the Clash.
so tough, so pink
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

I frequently see bicyclists talking on a cell phone... nothing surprises me now!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Buddy_wannabe wrote:I do it ... it isnt that big of deal except on real windy days.

I also think that with all the new laws that they are infringing on smokers rights.
So you mean requiring smokers to wear full-face helmets would be going too far? :lol:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

beeporama wrote:I frequently see bicyclists talking on a cell phone... nothing surprises me now!
Is that all? I like watching them blaze through stop signs with both ears plugged by earbuds!
bunny

Post by bunny »

digital-entropy wrote:
beeporama wrote:I frequently see bicyclists talking on a cell phone... nothing surprises me now!
Is that all? I like watching them blaze through stop signs with both ears plugged by earbuds!
Can't get that. A stop sign is a stop sign. I wear my earbuds and stop all the time...and the car behind me honks when no one is coming in the other direction...whatever dude. It's a STOP sign. Not a PAUSE sign.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Yes smoking while riding is stupid, but it is a talent!

Thinking while riding is dangerous, George Orwell was correct....we NEED thought police!

Turn signals on scooters are way too complicated to operate while riding, I will be starting a petition to have them removed from all scooters

Yes enjoying the smell of fresh cut grass is so distracting it should be illegal. Grass smell filtering face masks should be mandatory!

Halter tops are responsible for scooter accidents, outlaw them...um no...not that...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF 2 STROKE SMOKE IN THE MORNING

IT SMELLS LIKE

SCOOTERS!

I just love it when groups that are "all accepting" start to break into "us" and "them" categories.

The entertainment factor is priceless!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

iwabj wrote:Smoke a pipe -- dude. :)
Crack is whack :shock:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

iwabj wrote:Smoke a pipe -- dude. :)
I am living Comfort Eagle

They are calling me

DUUUUDE!!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

DanteG wrote:I like your quote, but isn't it The Clash ... "Lost In The Supermarket?"

DOH !!!!! ahhhh .... you are right. (Brain fart)
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
rickko

Post by rickko »

jijifer wrote:I heard on the elevator today after the Vespa Boutique Party down in SD that there were several smokers on the ride from the Vespa store and that many other dropped out of the ride because they didn't think it was safe or pleasant to be down wind.
Hahaha, this is too funny.

Don't tell those dropouts that people still smoke in their cars with the windows open! Never mind the crap that comes out of their tailpipes.

Maybe they should stay home, inside, and count how many eco friendly grocery bags they have. Inside where BBQ smoke and the daily smog doesn't invade their bodies.

I love stories like this. It re-affirms on any given day there will be less paranoid idiots navigating the roadways with me.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jijifer wrote:I heard on the elevator today after the Vespa Boutique Party down in SD that there were several smokers on the ride from the Vespa store and that many other dropped out of the ride because they didn't think it was safe or pleasant to be down wind.

I don't think that's enough to have me drop off a ride but yea, I think smoking while in group formation ain't cool either.
It was Reverend Bastard, wasn't it? :twisted:

Honestly, as a former smoker and someone who still occasionally partakes, usually when scootering, I don't enjoy the smell at all and think a lot of smokers tend to be rather inconsiderate about it. I know this touches on a whole political ideology "my rights vs. everyone else's rights" thing and we really won't go there in this thread or elsewhere on the forum. Courtesy, however, is pretty easy and it doesn't take much to go stand somewhere else, away from non-smokers, or stick to areas where it's permitted.

If I was smoking while riding, not that I ever have, I don't know if I'd think about the people behind me because I'd assume it would dissipate. In a group, though, probably not.

I'm sure that living in CA, where smoking is heavily restricted, has sensitized me to this. But even when I smoked habitually, I could not deny that it's a foul, nasty and stinky practice. There's no reason why those who don't indulge shouldn't want to avoid it.

Of course, talking about it, now I really want one. It's like watching an episode of Mad Men. Ooohhh smoking is cool and makes me feel good.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…