What do you do for work??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootStevie

What do you do for work??

Post by ScootStevie »

I know there's a thread for introducing...but I'm curious what everyone does to make the cash. Then tell us what you wish you were doing :lol:

I work at the port of Los Angeles/Long Beach. I've been there 12 years, and everyday I do a different job (one of the things I like about it). Another good thing is for the most part I make up my own schedule. The downside is it's very dangerous. We were rated being the most dangerous job in the states...even over firemen and policemen.

On the other side I've always wanted to be a chef. Gordon Ramsay is the man, hahaha. I'm a little late, but I'm going to start culinary school in Sept. Hopefully this will take me in a good direction since I'm getting bored with my job.
bulldog1967

Post by bulldog1967 »

Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

I'm a massage therapist. :)

http://www.NautilusBodywork.com
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

I work for one of the greatest companies...Automotive Racing Products. After being a mechanic for five+ years I hung the wrenches up and got a desk job, helping people figure out whats wrong, or what they did wrong. I also do 100% quality inspections for the parts we make.
www.arp-bolts.com
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

uh, me... right now I'm a cashier at Lowe's! :lol:

I think I'd like to do something a little more creative and constructive, such as illustration or furniture building. Really just
about anything would be better. I'm not totally miserable, at least I get paid to just stand there and scan barcodes all day.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I work for a company called Image Studios. We are a commercial photo/video studio. I do post production on still photos, that means Photoshop. I started there in 1993 and started Photoshop in 1999. So, 10 years full time Photoshop experience. My blog has some examples of my work. I also do sports photography. That would be team and individual photos as well as action photos of various sports.

What would I rather be doing to make money? Winning the lottery is high on the list. Seeing as I never buy a ticket that would be tough. Working in photography IS pretty much what I like to do, so I think I am already doing it.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I'm retired Military (Army), now work at a VA Hospital as a Property Manager for the last 8 yrs. I was an appliance repairman "Maytag Repairman" for a Maytag dealer for 1 yr. I'm also a small/snowmobile/marine mechanic, but haven't worked that trade yet. I would like to work for a motorcycle dealer or better yet a Scooter Dealer as a mechanic, sales, or in the logistics area (I have over 20 yrs of government logistic experience). Oh ya, I was a nursing assistant for 4 yrs once and almost opened a massage parlor by recommendation of my patients. I guess they really liked the back rubs we gave them several times a day. As you can see, I like diversity!
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

I work for the local community mental health in a day program for adults with developmental disabilities. I've been there 20 years come this September.

What would I like to be doing? Same thing but half-time instead of full-time.
so tough, so pink
Lastyearsyou

Post by Lastyearsyou »

I'm a full-time pre-veterinary student at the University of Florida. This semester I am torturing myself with Organic Chemistry :twisted: . I work part-time at Petco so I play with dogs, ferrets, gerbils, mice, birds, snakes, and fish all day-- oh yeah, I ring people up too. hey, If I'm gonna work retail at least its "fun" retail with a good discount.

What would I like to be doing? I'm where I need to be right now. Fast forward 6 years: I'd like to be a vet (duh)... Like a James Herriot type vet; seeing all kinds of animals and not being stuck in an office all day. Being a small animal vet would suck IMO. They make make more money than large animal vets but I'm a "fresh-air-in-my-face" kind of girl --- hence the scooter I suppose :D
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I am a full-time Mr Mom. I am an electrical engineer by training.
TVB

Post by TVB »

For the past few months I've been a computer help desk tech for an organisation that provides senior housing and health care. Before that I was "the computer guy" for a college of art and design, which was a lot more fun (working with cool technology and surrounded by creativity), but there was one person I couldn't get along with: the chief administrator. Other things I've done to put food on the table in the past several years have been designing and building web sites, selling Apples, and a grown-up paperboy.

What I'd like to be (short of the art-school job with guess-who gone) is a professional comics creator. I've got the ideas, I've got my artistic license (i.e. a BFA in Illustration), I just don't have the time... and motivation.
KindBudd

Post by KindBudd »

Trained in music performance but work in a small hospital pharmacy as a tech for the time being... I'm glad I was never into hard drugs b/c items like morphine and fentanyl are every days specials.
scooterV

work

Post by scooterV »

I am a transportation consultant for trucking companies. Kinda like a one stop shopping to legalize trucks for the road. I would rather be operating a smoothie shop by a beach somewhere.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I'm a math instructor at a local community college, and there's nothing else I'd rather do for a living. Well I could see myself teaching creative writing instead and being a bit happier than teaching math, but that's my selfish side talkin :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Right now I feel pretty blessed. I'm making more money doing less work than ever before. By trade I'm an expert barista, bartender and chef. (good jobs for those like me who travel a lot)
But now I am the Assistant Project manager for a start-up website helping people in recovery. I guess they want to be like the facebook for people struggling with addiction. I find contributing writers and write inspirational columns.

Now that I'm starting Grad School in June, I will pursue more media work and training. I want to teach multi-media at the college level, write a book, and work for a magazine such as Mother Jones or the like.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I work at a group home for troubled youth and am studying to be a high school English teacher. Sometimes very rewarding, sometimes just f***ing annoying :D
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

laxer, it gets alot better once your out of school, you'll never write another lesson plan again:) you'll just do what you signed up for in the first place and that's teach:)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

right now i'm the general manager at a "CiCi's Pizza" yes thats right I have to say "Hi welcome to CiCi's 2 buhzillion times a day. I've been a chef and barista as well. I chose this field because I like food and I figured where ever I went in the world people need food so I'd have a job.
I was a bicycle messanger for four years in chicago, when I got burned out on the restraunt thing. If the money didn't dry up and I didn't have to move to Florida I think thats what I would do. Outside all day and I get to ride my bike. I love cold weather cycling of both kinds...breath freezing to my face makes me feel like a mountain climber.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I own a tax preparation business with 7 offices around Cincinnati.
db

Post by db »

RN in a medical intensive care unit (MICU)
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

vagabond* chemistry professor.
"Put your safety glasses back on!!!!!"

*Part time at several schools.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
underdog

Post by underdog »

mild-mannered prosecuting attorney by day and wild scooter freak by night. Prefer my night job! :lol:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I am a pediatric cardiac sonographer (I use ultrasound to image the structure and function of congenitally malformed hearts from fetal age through adults).

Been doing it for about 25 years and absolutely love it! I also get the chance to do some research and teaching as well as work with industry on new machines.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I shuffle papers for a financial protection company. I liked the job very much when I started, but they made some big changes and now you check your brain at the door on your way in to work. It is physically exhausting and mind numbing. I stay because it is a job and they offer a pretty nice tuition reimbursement package and I hope to return and finish up so I can get a real job.

When I was at school before I was working toward my RN with plans to then transfer to get my BSN. That is no longer a viable option so I am trying to figure out what to do with all of the science and math I already have and am leaning toward social work.

My dream job would be writing. I love to write and some day I will follow through with some promises I made to write some of my stories down and rum 'em up a flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

-v
Angela

Post by Angela »

Unemployed accountant
eeyoremd

Post by eeyoremd »

I work in the accounting department of Industrial Finishes. I'm in accounts payable. Basically, I pay the bills for the company.
I guess dream job would be cooking or photography.
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

I am currently working as an inventory tech/detailer at a used car retailer. I am also a full time student at Utah Valley University majoring in Journalism, and working towards a minor in audio engineering.

I want to be a radio producer for NPR or the BBC. I also wouldn't mind working as an engineer for a recording studio.
jbougere

Post by jbougere »

Job #1: working for a Dep't of Justice compensation program where I've been for the last 5 years.

Job #2: evening law student at GWU. 2 years to go on the 4 year plan...

Job #3 (summer only): part-time intern for the office of general counsel at PBS. It hasn't started yet, but I'm pretty excited to find out the trials and tribulations of public broadcasting.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I'm a senior Detention Officer/Training Officer at the Yavapai County Jail in Camp Verde, AZ.

I've also been a professional blues keyboardist for over 30 years....

--Keys 8)
Last edited by Keys on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life without music would Bb"
bpnwmike
Retailer/Vendor

Post by bpnwmike »

I sell performance upgrades and an ever-growing stable of OEM engine parts to people like you! :D 8)

My site's focus is on buggies, but so many people from here (and some other scooter sites) started calling and stopping by, I thought I would come and get to know everyone better!
-Mike
Owner, Buggy Parts NW
www.buggypartsnw.com
Parts for buggies and scooters with GY6 and CN250/CFMoto 250 engines!
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Machinist . I program and set up CNC lathes. I started working there temporarly 27 years ago.......I'm beging to think the other place isn't going to call :?
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

these days I'm an executive assistant at a Biotech called Life Technologies (the Invitrogen side).

We make the stuff that makes science happen. Some of it's really cool. I had a cousin die of a genetic disorder called Tay Sachs and I want to be part of the cure for that horrific disorder- there's a good chance that the cure will be found using something that Invitrogen supplies whether its primary cells, stem cells, other cultures or mediums OR perhaps we'll be the first to market with the affordable and quick genome making personalized medicine possible. That's what gets me up in the morning. THAT and my getting to ride my scoot there.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

jijifer wrote:these days I'm an executive assistant at a Biotech called Life Technologies (the Invitrogen side).
Life.... Wonderful company. I remember the Gibco reps would always hand out caramels... mmmm.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

I'm a commercial photographer, in Dallas Texas. My middle school hobby turned into a high school class, which turned into a college major, then a career. I shoot people, and most of the time, it's in the face.

You can see my full portfolio at the link below.

www.jeremysharpphotographer.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Art director, which is sort of a graphic designer, only with a bigger ego. :)

I'm a full time self-employed freelancer. In the past, I've worked as an editorial AD for magazines and newsweeklies. I've also done marketing and branding for music and entertainment. Some illustration, some animation, interactive… I always like trying new things, taking on a creative challenge. I love print and editorial, but that's not where the work is these days. Just ask all my laid off and unemployed friends.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

i'm a front-end web developer. right now i'm contracting with maybeinc.com - great place to work!

what i would LIKE to do? if i could, i would love to DJ and produce music full-time. one day, it may happen . . . but i'm willing to wait for the right time.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

JSharpPhoto wrote:I shoot people, and most of the time, it's in the face.
...........................................^ :shock: :lol:

I would seem there are a lot of photo/graphics people as well as people in the health profession and teachers.
Domino

Post by Domino »

I herd cats. Okay, not really- but that's what it feels like. Actually I'm a "Psycho-social Rehabilitation" worker for the Mental Health Association. It's part parent, mentor, therapist, babysitter and all weird/fun.
Hansc27

Post by Hansc27 »

I'm a full time yarn artist AKA knitter. I design and sell my original knit and crochet patterns. You can see my work at my blog:

http://ciddesigns.blogspot.com/

I'm interested to know if the knitting world and the scooter world overlap very much?
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Hansc27 wrote:I'm a full time yarn artist AKA knitter. I design and sell my original knit and crochet patterns. You can see my work at my blog:

http://ciddesigns.blogspot.com/

I'm interested to know if the knitting world and the scooter world overlap very much?
Not in my opinion, otherwise my wife would be busy :lol:

I am the mechanic at the local Scooter shop

I also move houses (yes the house, not the furniture)
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Wow, this is quite a range of jobs. Interesting :nerd:
thecarver61

Post by thecarver61 »

I'm a railroad engineer for Norfolk Southern.
Skyhack1

Post by Skyhack1 »

Im a Critical Care Paramedic on Children's Hospital Transport Team. I transport everyone from just born to 18 yrs old and the Congenital heart pts. We go by ground, rotor-wing, and fixed-wing.
chromebroom

what do you do for work

Post by chromebroom »

Hum? I support my buddy by being a licensed counselor, a licensed social worker and art therapist. Then I'm a potter/painter. What can I say other than I have lot's of student loans.(MA, MSW, ATR). When I grow up I want to be a Master Gardner. :lol:
Enjoy the Journey and Ride Safe
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I am a Receiving/Inventory Manager for Kice Industries Kice Industries
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Trying to get a pottery business off the ground.
I need to get pictures of my newer stuff online, but my website is http://web.me.com/trwhalley
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

I work as an editor for major news network based here in Atlanta. (I'll give you a hint the first letter of the company is C.) Aside from that fun, I also do volunteer work for a project at Fernbank Museum of Natural History called Urban Watch. The program teaches kids about the importance of green space, how invasive plants are damaging our environment, and at the end they help out by either planting native plants back or removing invasive plants out of the forest that sits behind the museum.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
rajron

Post by rajron »

I am a slave to the Man – support contracted for the largest Microprocessor manufacturer.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

I'm a Manager of a group in the Customer Service area with the biggest electric utility in VA. Sort of a data-mining/analyst group that supports primarily the billing functions. Before that in another area that designed the rates customers pay for electricity.

After doing this for over 30 years, what I'd rather be doing is "retirement"....and scootering!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

My official title is "Design Editor" for a city magazine. The reality is I'm just a monkey makin' pages. I gave up the illusion long ago that this line of work in this market is anything more than being pretty good at pointing and clicking in the right places.

You can see what I do here.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.