Buy'n a Buddy (If the price is right)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rokky

Buy'n a Buddy (If the price is right)

Post by Rokky »

Where is the best place to buy a Buddy?
I tried local, but the prices seem to go up every time I go in to take another look.
Any places on the internet that offers free shipping and all that stuff.
Some of these scooters are way over priced.
By the time you pay the tax, license and insurance, you can buy a small car and you won't get wet when it rains or bugs on your teeth when riding to fast.
Angela

Re: Buy'n a Buddy (If the price is right)

Post by Angela »

Rokky wrote:Where is the best place to buy a Buddy?
I tried local, but the prices seem to go up every time I go in to take another look.
Any places on the internet that offers free shipping and all that stuff.
Some of these scooters are way over priced.
By the time you pay the tax, license and insurance, you can buy a small car and you won't get wet when it rains or bugs on your teeth when riding to fast.
Then you'll need to leave California and end up still paying a bunch to get it registered.

There is a long email thread about Buddy sticker shock, it compares prices. You may want to read that discussion.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: Buy'n a Buddy (If the price is right)

Post by ScooterDave »

Rokky wrote:Where is the best place to buy a Buddy?
Your local dealer
Rokky wrote:I tried local, but the prices seem to go up every time I go in to take another look.
Then you should probably stop putting it off.
Rokky wrote:Any places on the internet that offers free shipping and all that stuff.
I am sure you could find a nice scooter made in mainland China on the internet with free shipping. Do you really think there is such a thing as free shipping on anything???
Rokky wrote:Some of these scooters are way over priced.
I agree. There are alot of sub $1500 scooters that are still shite at half the price. On the other hand the Buddy at $2700 and the Vespa LX150 at $4,300 are still some of the best deals out there.
Rokky wrote:By the time you pay the tax, license and insurance, you can buy a small car and you won't get wet when it rains or bugs on your teeth when riding to fast.
Or you could buy a truckload of horse crap. It will not be as much fun a scooter either.

Dave
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

Don't know what kind of car you think you can get for the price of a 150cc scooter, but if you really want a scooter SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SCOOTER STORE! Don't know if anyone sells reputable scooters such as Genuine, Kymco, etc. over the internet, but even if you could seems like you're making a risky bet to save maybe enough for a night on the town. Buy locally and you'll be helping a local business, not to mention having a place to take it when you need service.

A Buddy 150 (International) has an MSRP of $3,199. A Black Jack is $300 more. To that the dealer will probably add another $200-300 for delivery and set up. You will also pay sales tax ($300?), license/registration ($50-100?) and probably another $100 or so for document fees. So it wouldn't surprise me if you were looking at $4,000 out the door in your neck of the woods. There have been some people on Modern Buddy who talk about Buddy 125's OTD for $2,500 and Internationals for $3,000 but they don't ever provide any details when you ask them for a breakdown or where they bought them. I don't think those deals really exist.

IMHO $4,000 OTD for a Buddy 150 is a fair price, but if you really want to bargain, you might get a couple hundred off, or better yet, negotiate some accessories. You'll buy them eventually, but you probably need at the minimum a skid lid and gloves and some sort of lock right off the bat.
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Don't forget to check Craigslist for used Buddy's in your area. You can save quite a bit on a used scoot that's been properly maintained.
Angela

Post by Angela »

LuvMyScoot wrote:Don't forget to check Craigslist for used Buddy's in your area. You can save quite a bit on a used scoot that's been properly maintained.
Used Buddys in our area (San Diego) are just as much as a new one.

Rokky,
You just missed the big sale Motorsport Scooters had on new scoots. Last weekend was the time to get some really good deals. What are you expecting to pay for a quality 150cc scooter?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If you want a scooter with free shipping, look at chinese $999 Non dot legal, not street legal, bikes. They;ll be at your door in the morning guaranteed since it cost less than 5 dollars to produce the bike in china.

If you can find anywhere that will sell a buddy online, you'll be looking at 400-600 dollars shipping, plus tax, registration, and title.

That "expensive" dealer looks so cheap all the sudden.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i agree with luvmyscoot. check craigslist or ebay for a used one, but if you are looking for a brand new one, i'd say your best option is to head down to your local dealer
Angela

Post by Angela »

its not a 150cc but its cheaper than new

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1156839077.html

That's the only one listed.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Angela wrote:its not a 150cc but its cheaper than new

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1156839077.html

That's the only one listed.
Not a bad price. Barely broken in. Wonder if I could get free shipping to Florida? :P
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

Angela,
Thanks for the tip.
That scooter on Craigslist looks like it is in very nice condition and at about half the price of a new one.
I wish I had known about the sale at Motorsport as I have been in there several times this last couple of months.
The first time the Buddy was around $2,700 list price and the last time over $3,200.
If I decide to go for a new one I will probably choose Motorsport.
I missed a nice little used Honda Metropolitan they had for $1,000.00.
It was a little smaller then I really wanted, but I could have made it work for my area.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'm not sure where you are getting all these numbers but the MSRP on the 125 Buddy is still $2699 as far as I know and the shipping, registration, license, and tax are what they are. If you really want a Honda Metropolitan and it will meet your needs, then finding one on Craigslist at about $1000 is a reasonable thing to do. I see them around that price frequently. Just recognize that the Honda Metropolitan is a very small frame scoot that is quite down on power for riding in normal traffic. The Buddy, on the other hand, is what spawned this website.
Last edited by Dooglas on Sat May 09, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

Another nice looking scooter on Craigslist.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1154393623.html
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

Now if I lived in Washington this would have been a fun place to shop before the rush was on.

http://www.greenpeoplemovers.com/liquidation.php
Angela

Post by Angela »

Rokky wrote:Another nice looking scooter on Craigslist.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1154393623.html
A Buddy is less than that Vespa on craigslist, its also been on there for a long time now.

If I remember correctly that Honda was traded in by someone upgrading to a Buddy.

I saw where you are located on the member map. A 125cc will be just fine for you. The 50cc is not enough, there are a bunch of hills around.

I suggest going down to Motorsport and talking to them about price, you still may be able to get a deal. They are reasonable guys and may still be in yard sale mode.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I wonder if you were looking at a Black Jack. I've never seen the Buddy's a Motorsports go up and down save for the sale last weekend. They list them at MSRP - and always tell you "cost out the door" which is gonna include all the tax and destination fees.

I just hawked craiglist once I had $3k on hand. I really wanted a 150 Italia but got a 4 month old 2009 125 for $2k in late february here in North County. It was such a great deal I jumped. Of course the dmv still charged me tax on what was on the bill of sale and then for title transfer and registration. That was about $180. I don't have the 2 yr warranty and that's a downer BUT it also means I can trick it out.

Since that first $2178 in late February, I've put lots more $$ in on all sorts of accessories (+ labor for installation since I'm useless mechanically). But I had all the cash because I didn't buy her new. yin and yang.

I'm sure with summer here, prices (used) will go up. But I whole heartily believe in Motorsports. I travel almost 40miles to give them my business. They are as honest as they come. The only think I can think was once you saw a black 125 then you saw the black jack (right inside the door for a while) I've never seen anything more than MSRP listed buddy's since I had my cash to make a move in January.

In summary: Motorsport Scooter very good folks who WON'T screw you. Hawk craigslist. They don't last long but there were like 6 buddies there last week.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There have been some decent Craigslist deals recently. Due to the economy and relatively low gas prices, a lot of people seem to be dumping scooters they bought last year.

As mentioned elsewhere, sales taxes and registration fees have gone up in CA. I think we have another sales tax increase due this year. If you're buying new, don't hesitate if you have the funds.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Vic

Post by Vic »

I rode a friend's Met at a rally last year. The same one that went on a tour of Kansas and Nebraska a few years ago with Gary and Caitlin.

It is a really tiny scooter, super agile and fun for city streets and clearly going on a tour with your spouse at 20mph.

However, it tops out at about 40, and you feel really vulnerable with traffic moving at any speed around you.

If you can plan on not needing to travel faster than 35mph on flat roads-go for it. If you are ever going to need to travel faster than that or need enough power to get out onto roads that have a speed limit of 40-45, get the right tool for the job.

The Mets are a ton of fun to ride, you can practically pick it up and slip it into your back pocket, so tiny and agile they go anywere without any thought required. And, they are just adorable little buggers. To say nothing of the amazing gas mileage!

But, just think of what your needs are and be realistic, I found it fun to ride in town and protected by a lot of other scoots during the rally it was fine, but there were a few times I was slapping the thing on the rump hoping for a few more mph. Those situations were decidedly UNfun and I do not recommend them.

It will only be worth it if it meets your needs.

-v
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

if you're waffling this much on price, you probably shouldn't be spending the money.
Prairiedale

Post by Prairiedale »

Rokky wrote:I wish I had known about the sale at Motorsport as I have been in there several times this last couple of months.
The first time the Buddy was around $2,700 list price and the last time over $3,200.
Are you certain you were looking at the exact same scooter? I don't know if its coincidence of not, but the MSRP of a Buddy 125 is $2,699 and Series International 150 (Italia, Pamplona, St. Tropez models) are $3,199. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Could be comparing old MSRP to new OTD pricing. A lot of dealers now have OTD pricing so people know straight up what they are paying for. 2700 can become 3200 out the door, so many dealers want to show this to the customers first hand so they dont freak out "Hey you're scamming me, oh wait..tax...."
Angela

Post by Angela »

jfrost2 wrote:Could be comparing old MSRP to new OTD pricing. A lot of dealers now have OTD pricing so people know straight up what they are paying for. 2700 can become 3200 out the door, so many dealers want to show this to the customers first hand so they dont freak out "Hey you're scamming me, oh wait..tax...."
Motorsport shows OTD pricing on their tags if I remember correctly.
Lastyearsyou

Post by Lastyearsyou »

Funny, I'm having the exact opposite problem. The scooter place has my money but they have yet to produce the Buddy that they special ordered on April 13th. I'm starting to get a little bit upset. :(
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

Vic,
Great description on the Met.
Makes me want to go for one of those little guys.
Especially the part where you can practically put it in your back pocket.
I was beginning to think I really didn't need anything bigger, but then 50cc is rather small and I did sit on three scooters at Motorsport that included the Buddy 125, 150, and the People 150 and they all felt good.
All three were very comfortable and Angela is right as a 125 would work better for me then the 50cc. but driving them is the taste test which I have not done yet.
I'm not sure if going for the 150 over the 125 would give me an advantage considering the difference in price.
Yes prairirdale, I may have been confused on the price as you mentioned as both Buddy 125 and 150's were altogether on the floor.
The guys at Motorsport are very nice to talk to and give you all the info you would ever need to know and no high pressure.
If I buy new it will be from them.
BTW, what prices were the Buddy's going for on the weekend sale?
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Rokky wrote: BTW, what prices were the Buddy's going for on the weekend sale?
I'm pretty sure the 125 and 150s were being offered for $500 off. The Sym HD200 was $1900 off! I was so bummed I didn't hold out for that one and promised myself to save up for this same sale next year!.
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

jijifer wrote:
Rokky wrote: BTW, what prices were the Buddy's going for on the weekend sale?
I'm pretty sure the 125 and 150s were being offered for $500 off.

Son-of-a-Gun, if that be the case I'm bummed out to.
With that discount it would have paid for the OTD expenses such as tax, license, and maybe the training course. :cry:
Next year you say?
How about a fall sale?
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

The dealer in Mankato MN where I got mine sells them at MSRP , no destination & set up fee , just tax and license. The dealer in Owatonna Mn was selling TGB scoots at MSRP or less , no destination & set up fee , just tax and license.

The destination & set up fee that I hear some places charge seems kind of crazy to me. I've seen a picture of a Buddy getting un-crated on here before , and what do the have to do for set up? put on the mirrors? I thought it looked like it was altogether.
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

Buddy_wannabe wrote:The dealer in Mankato MN where I got mine sells them at MSRP , no destination & set up fee , just tax and license. The dealer in Owatonna Mn was selling TGB scoots at MSRP or less , no destination & set up fee , just tax and license.

The destination & set up fee that I hear some places charge seems kind of crazy to me. I've seen a picture of a Buddy getting un-crated on here before , and what do the have to do for set up? put on the mirrors? I thought it looked like it was altogether.
I have to some what agree that the set up fee is odd.
When you buy a product it should be all together and any assembly should be included in the price.
That's the cost of doing business for the dealer.
They are charging you MSRP.
I bought a new tractor several years ago and it came ready to start and go. No set up fee and tractor was on sale.
I guess it is what ever the traffic will bare.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Rokky wrote:
Buddy_wannabe wrote:The dealer in Mankato MN where I got mine sells them at MSRP , no destination & set up fee , just tax and license. The dealer in Owatonna Mn was selling TGB scoots at MSRP or less , no destination & set up fee , just tax and license.

When you buy a product it should be all together and any assembly should be included in the price.
"Cost of doing business" always gets passed on to the customer. That's how businesses make money. They could either hide the fees, build them into the MSRP, or simply say "this is what we charge."

Set up for a scooter includes a mechanical inspection, filling liquids, charging and installing battery and test ride. A dealer could probably fill you in on what else is involved.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

ericalm wrote:
Rokky wrote:

"Cost of doing business" always gets passed on to the customer. That's how businesses make money. They could either hide the fees, build them into the MSRP, or simply say "this is what we charge."

Set up for a scooter includes a mechanical inspection, filling liquids, charging and installing battery and test ride. A dealer could probably fill you in on what else is involved.

Set up should be included in the MSRP.
When a customer walks into a dealer and is quoted the price of a product and then is informed, "Oh by the way" this machines will cost another fee for set up can get depressing.
When you look at the price tag it should include the entire cost of the vehicle ready to turn the key, put it in gear and roll down the street.
Granted, tax and license is a given, but set up fees should be included in the price as stated on the price tag.
Just my opinion as a buyer.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I should be a foot taller then I would play for the Lakers. Unfortunately it is what it is.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Rokky, go talk to Motorsport about sale prices. They still may want to blow out a few of the floor models.

As far as a 125 over a 150, there isn't much of a difference. I think you would be fine with a 125 where you are. If you are thinking bigger, than think 200cc and higher. I ride my scooter all around and I do okay. jijifer scoots from Carlsbad to North Park on her 125.

This was just posted on CL today. Its pink but that is why paint was created

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1159843415.html
TVB

Post by TVB »

Rokky wrote:Set up should be included in the MSRP.
In principle I agree. But dealers in different locations can have widely different costs-of-doing-business (e.g. rent, labor, utilities, etc.) and having a portion of the price that is not set by the manufacturer gives them some wiggle room to charge a price that makes sense for the costs in their market, without having to say, "Yeah, that [the MSRP] is the suggested price, but we... charge more."

I agree that it is much more customer-friendly business practise to include these costs (whatever they may be) in the price tag attached to the bike.
Last edited by TVB on Fri May 08, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Rokky wrote:When you look at the price tag it should include the entire cost of the vehicle ready to turn the key, put it in gear and roll down the street.
Granted, tax and license is a given, but set up fees should be included in the price as stated on the price tag.
Just my opinion as a buyer.
Most dealers put the full OTD price (including registration and any fees over MSRP) on the price tag. Many now detail all of those fees, so have MSRP, a list of everything else, then OTD total.

I believe that's what you'll see at Motorsport in SD. I know that's what you'll see if you come up here to visit NoHo Scooters.
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

Angela wrote:Rokky, go talk to Motorsport about sale prices. They still may want to blow out a few of the floor models.

As far as a 125 over a 150, there isn't much of a difference. I think you would be fine with a 125 where you are. If you are thinking bigger, than think 200cc and higher. I ride my scooter all around and I do okay. jijifer scoots from Carlsbad to North Park on her 125.

This was just posted on CL today. Its pink but that is why paint was created

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1159843415.html
This is a very nice scooter. Wish it was Red instead of pink.
You are right, the 125 is probably all the scooter I will need.
BTW, what route does jijifer take in order to get all the way from Carlsbad to North Park on her 125 by staying off the freeway?
How long does it take her?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Rokky wrote:Set up should be included in the MSRP.
MSRP stands for "manufacturers suggested retail price". The dealer is not the manufacturer and must charge you for the costs he actually incurs. Most dealers are quite up front about OTD (out the door) price of their scoots as they should be.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

Rokky wrote:
Angela wrote: BTW, what route does jijifer take in order to get all the way from Carlsbad to North Park on her 125 by staying off the freeway?
she takes the genessee->torrey pines->pch route.
abstraxion

Post by abstraxion »

n2tattoos wrote:
Rokky wrote:
Angela wrote: BTW, what route does jijifer take in order to get all the way from Carlsbad to North Park on her 125 by staying off the freeway?
she takes the genessee->torrey pines->pch route.
How do you guys like to get to Genessee? From Hillcrest, I wind myself down Bachman, through Hotel Circle and Fashion Valley to Friars and then Ulric and Linda Vista, ending up on Genesee.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Rokky

Post by Rokky »

Angela,

there is no contact info on the ad so I notified Craigslist.
Waiting to hear back.
Scooter looks good in pics.
Does not state mileage or any details.

BTW, how many hours is the trip from Carlsbad to N. Park?
Angela

Post by Angela »

Rokky wrote:
Angela,

there is no contact info on the ad so I notified Craigslist.
Waiting to hear back.
Scooter looks good in pics.
Does not state mileage or any details.

BTW, how many hours is the trip from Carlsbad to N. Park?
there is a phone number posted in the add. John at 1619-665-xxxx

i have never driven from carlsbad to north park or vice versa. ask jijifer she does that ride.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Rokky wrote: BTW, how many hours is the trip from Carlsbad to N. Park?
I live in North Carlsbad Coastal. I take 101 --> Torrey Pines --> Genessee --> Linda Vista --> Urlic --> Friars Road --> Qualcomm/Texas.

When there's no traffic it's about an hour and twenty. But through UTC there's seldom "no traffic". so the most that take an hour and forty. Time flies, though, when you're having fun.
abstraxion

Post by abstraxion »

jijifer wrote:
I live in North Carlsbad Coastal. I take 101 --> Torrey Pines --> Genessee --> Linda Vista --> Urlic --> Friars Road --> Qualcomm/Texas.

When there's no traffic it's about an hour and twenty. But through UTC there's seldom "no traffic". so the most that take an hour and forty. Time flies, though, when you're having fun.
Hah, yeah! Isn't it fun riding near Tecolote Canyon when the wind starts whippin'?
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

That's Great time considering having to take a lot of streets.
PCH would be neat on a scooter.
Easy to stop and take in all the sights.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

abstraxion wrote:
jijifer wrote:

Hah, yeah! Isn't it fun riding near Tecolote Canyon when the wind starts whippin'?
That wind isn't anything like when you come around the hill and down in the flats of Torrey Pines State beach and I get whipped pretty good on Carlsbad Blvd btwn Cannon and Tammarack.

Genessee at Tecolote Canyon is kept interesting at any speed from all the really weird potholes and rough pavement. GAH!
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

Speaking of potholes, would the People 150 be a better ride with the bigger wheels?
I looked at that scooter when I was in Motorsport and it seemed comfortable just sitting on it in the showroom.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Rokky wrote:Speaking of potholes, would the People 150 be a better ride with the bigger wheels?
I looked at that scooter when I was in Motorsport and it seemed comfortable just sitting on it in the showroom.
Yes and no. The People won't maneuver as well as the Buddy. It will likely have a smoother ride at higher speeds provided you're on a smooth, level surface. Though the wheels are bigger in circumference, they're narrower and this can cause shakiness, even at higher speeds. One reliable reviewer said that at high speeds, the People was less stable than an LX 150 (which has wheels similar to the Buddy's in width, though the front is an 11"). So the common wisdom that larger wheels are more stable may not be entirely true and certainly comes with some qualifiers.
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

ericalm wrote:
Rokky wrote:Speaking of potholes, would the People 150 be a better ride with the bigger wheels?
Yes and no. The People won't maneuver as well as the Buddy. It will likely have a smoother ride at higher speeds provided you're on a smooth, level surface. Though the wheels are bigger in circumference, they're narrower and this can cause shakiness, even at higher speeds. One reliable reviewer said that at high speeds, the People was less stable than an LX 150 (which has wheels similar to the Buddy's in width, though the front is an 11"). So the common wisdom that larger wheels are more stable may not be entirely true and certainly comes with some qualifiers.
Yes, that would made sense.
The Buddy felt more comfortable to me in that it would be more easier to handle as far as keeping it balanced when stopped.
I'm used to an electric bike that weights about 100 pounds and is back end heavy because of the batteries.
Sometimes it can be tricky.
The buddy is coming closer to my final choice everyday.
Thanks.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

abstraxion wrote: How do you guys like to get to Genessee? From Hillcrest, I wind myself down Bachman, through Hotel Circle and Fashion Valley to Friars and then Ulric and Linda Vista, ending up on Genesee.
i live near downtown, so i usually go pch. just before fiesta island, cut across the 5 to morena blvd north. almost no stoplights/signs. it ends at balboa, right up the hill to genesee.

basically full throttle from downtown to balboa.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

Rokky wrote: Yes, that would made sense.
The Buddy felt more comfortable to me in that it would be more easier to handle as far as keeping it balanced when stopped.
I'm used to an electric bike that weights about 100 pounds and is back end heavy because of the batteries.
Sometimes it can be tricky.
The buddy is coming closer to my final choice everyday.
Thanks.

DO IT! :D