Buddy performance pipe!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

DO3 wrote:I don't know why people are getting all wound up about this pipe and it's advertising. I'm new to scooters but have been modifying my cars for years. In general it is rare to see "real numbers" (dyno charts etc) from an aftermarket exhaust. Also in my looking into a Stella or older Vespa I have never seen any dyno charts for pipes or even a full on head kit which is much more expensive and involved than a bolt on muffler. Very few aftermarket companies are willing to actually prove their hp claims.
As you are "new to scooters", and thats ok, it is actually common to see dyno charts for exhausts. Due to the small amout of horsepower in a scooter and the gain of 1-2 hp is a big boost to performance, a dyno chart is a common and important thing to see when a new exhaust is introduced. Just having someone from the company sounding like a tool and telling me "It makes you go faster dude", is not enough. Until they are will to share the numbers, my buddy remains stock.

ScootRS (another shop I would never buy anything from) is proud to display their dyno charts for their exhausts

The scooter I am gettin in about 70 days has a PM Tuning racing exhaust. PM Tuning does not have any problem posting their Dyno charts either.
Last edited by ScooterDave on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I agree - we want the numbers.

Since its inception and more so now because they are so readily available the dynamometer has been the bases for determining performance of motors and motor parts.
How else would PGO/Genuine Scooter state they have “X“ amount of hp or torque on the Buddy 125. ......... they measure it.
So though numbers my lie and can be used to deceive they also give the consumer something to compare with.
I for one would like to see the numbers, for some have said they were going to test I want to see those numbers so I can compare. (We all know the numbers will be small, we are dealing with a very small motor but every little bit helps)
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

ScooterDave wrote: They do make a Dyno for scooters. I do not think you understand how a dyno operates and what it does. Dyno numbers are by definition accurate and if this pipe did in fact increase horsepower, Phil's ego would have the numbers plastered all over the place.
Actually, I do understand how dynos work and I've observed them in use. I also, by nature, tend to prattle on way too long on boards like this which leads me to self edit posts down to the bare minimum. There are different types of dynos, the one I was talking about specifically is the Dynojet. Its output is based on an "average" bike that will have components different from your bike. These different components (tire size, number of pistons, size of pistons, flywheel weight, etc.) have a direct effect on output at the rear wheel. But actually, none of this matters anyway because any dyno is simply a tool. The effectiveness of a tool, any tool, is compromised by a variety of factors, including ambient conditions, the technician's skill, the way the bike is setup, etc. I will say this about dynos though: if you're only interested in power at the rear wheel on YOUR bike, a properly set up and operated dyno is capable of showing you the difference between your bike stock and your bike modified.

Now, if you take a minute and re-read the first paragraph of my post, my point was that personally, I would prefer to base my decision on the real world opinion of someone I TRUSTED rather than put my faith in a faceless dyno that could be located some place below sea level (I'm above sea level) and operated by trolls. So, if a good friend of mine says the Termis completely transformed his GT I'd think, "hey, maybe it is worth the $1200." The other point that I failed to make in my first post is that, to me, pipes especially are as much about cosmetic improvements as they are about performance improvements. No dyno is going to tell me how much better (or worse) the new pipes look compared to stock. Same goes for build quality. Same goes for sound. In my world, custom pipes are as much about sound as performance. Finally, if one makes a choice to purchase a new pipe only for performance, one will not get his/her money's worth. I don't care if you're spending $200 on a scooter pipe, $1200 or more for Termis or $2500 for Casuno's, part of what you're paying for is purely aesthetic or you're not getting your money's worth.

Personally, I don't give a crap about this person you mention, or his ego. I have nothing to do with either of them. If they did post dyno numbers to sell an exhaust pipe for a scooter, I wouldn't put any stock in those numbers whatsoever. Why? Well, I'd probably think those numbers were advertised to sell pipes and I'm something of a skeptic.
ScooterDave added: As far as a test ride on a bike equipped with performance parts, yeah right. Finding a dealer to do a test ride on a stock scooter is a rare enough thing in and of itself. I am picking up a Vespa with a Malossi 210 kit on it (along with many other enhancements) in about 70 days and if anyone thinks they will be able to test ride it, they are thinking wrong.
Um, okay. That's your experience, not mine. I've had no problems arranging any test rides for any of the bikes I've looked at over the past year. Rode 'em all in fact. When I heard about the Touring pipe for my Aprilia I rode an Aprilia with the Touring pipe installed and was instantly sold on it. I've already met someone on a Ducati list who has offered to let me take his GT with Termis for a test ride. I just wanted to see and hear the pipes in person but he wants to hear what his bike sounds like riding by. I could also go to any Ducati dealer and at least arrange for a test ride on a bike with the same engine as mine, if not the exact same bike. I have no doubts that I'll be able to do the same once my local scooter shop starts offering performance parts on the Buddy, if I'm interested.

Congrats on your Malossi equipped Vespa. One of the things I love about the motorcycling community is that when we Ducati riders get together we sometimes share rides on each other's bikes. In fact, I've always ridden friends' bikes and they've ridden mine, going back to the late '60's. I've learned a lot about different bikes over the years this way. I hoped to do the same at upcoming scooter events as well but perhaps not.

I warned you all what could happen when I don't self edit. :lol:
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Me thinks we are going to have to agree to disagree.

My point is that Phil is marketing his pipe as a performance enhancement and I want to know what that enhancement is. Dropping 2 bills on a pipe just to make it look cool in my opinion is silly, but this is America. Many people bought the Aztek. All I am going to do is make my Buddy look like half the other Buddy's in town.

You are making a dyno sound way more complicated than it is. I have had both cars and bikes put on a dyno. You dyno a stock vehicle and set a baseline to compare with. You then dyno a modified vehicle and you can see the difference. No big deal. And the outside dew point is not going to make a difference on a 7 hp engine. I have had a car put on a dyno in the dead of winter with the garage door open and in the middle of summer and ended up with the same results. All I am concerned with is the rear wheel. This is not a car and this is not a flywheel vs wheel hp loss situation. Nor is this a Ducati. It is a scooter with a horsepower rating of under 10. A 2 horsepower gain is quite noticeable.

I, myself, have no interest in going to a dealer and riding the same bike I already own. Sounds kind of silly actually. No 2 bikes are going to ride exactly the same and no 2 people's version of fast is the same. That is why I want to see the numbers. For Phil McCaleb, a person that owns ScooterJerks, and did NOT ride a scooter throughout the 90's (But made alot of money off those that did) to tell me he can make my scooter faster using his product, I have to see it. That is the main reason that I take what he would advertise with a grain of salt and just one of several reasons why I can not respect the guy.

So, if you like the way it looks on your Buddy, buy it. If you want your Buddy to sound different, buy it. If you want a performance enhancement, ask what that enhancement is and do not settle for "it makes you go faster".

In so far as people riding any of my scooters, I have only let 2 other people ride any of my scooters this past year. It is just the way I am. I do not trust the way the majority of other scooterists ride.

You are buying a pipe for one reason, I am buying it for another. No big deal. I am not a Ducati guy and you are. Thats ok. To spend 2 grand to make a bike sound different without a noticeable performance gain, in my opinion is absurd. And if you are buying a Termis to say you have a Termis exhaust then cool. It is just not my bag.

Dave
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

"ScooterDave"]Me thinks we are going to have to agree to disagree.
That's cool, I figured we were headed in that direction.
You are making a dyno sound way more complicated than it is. I have had both cars and bikes put on a dyno. You dyno a stock vehicle and set a baseline to compare with. You then dyno a modified vehicle and you can see the difference. No big deal. All I am concerned with is the rear wheel.

Hey, at least I didn't post charts. What I'm saying is I don't necessarily trust the numbers run on a dyno on someone else's bike. The real crux of our disagreement is the last sentence of your above paragraph. Output at the rear wheel is the least of my cares. What I'm concerned with, especially on any 2 wheeler, is "rideability". All the power in the world doesn't do you or me any good if the bike is less rideable. I know of only one way to test rideability.
I, myself, have no interest in going to a dealer and riding the same bike I already own. Sounds kind of silly actually. No 2 bikes are going to ride exactly the same and no 2 people's version of fast is the same.
Again, I'll take rideability in the real world over numbers any time. To each his own. And your point about no two bikes being exactly the same is pretty much the same point I'm making about dynos. The only thing that really matters to me is how my bike feels. If I can improve the feel I'll consider doing it. If the result is less horsepower, I'll still do it.
So, if you like the way it looks on your Buddy, buy it. If you want your Buddy to sound different, buy it. If you want a performance enhancement, ask what that enhancement is and do not settle for "it makes you go faster".
I can agree with you here, especially since I'm not personally considering the pipe for my Buddy. The difference is, if my scooter tech or a Buddy riding friend tells me the pipe is worthless, I'll probably believe them. If they tell me the pipe is wonderful, I'll consider it. I have a relationship with these people and I'll trust that they're giving me honest advice.
In so far as people riding any of my scooters, I have only let 2 other people ride any of my scooters this past year. It is just the way I am. I do not trust the way the majority of other scooterists ride.
They're your bikes and it's a free county. I certainly wouldn't trust a stranger on any of my bikes.
You are buying a pipe for one reason, I am buying it for another. No big deal. I am not a Ducati guy and you are. Thats ok. To spend 2 grand to make a bike sound different without a noticeable performance gain, in my opinion is absurd. And if you are buying a Termis to say you have a Termis exhaust then cool. It is just not my bag.
I'm not buying a pipe at all. I'm suggesting that if I did buy a pipe or system for either of my bikes that it would be for 3 reasons. Like you said, we're doing this for different reasons and that's okay.

As far as being a "Ducati guy", well, I do own one but it's my first. I consider myself a 2 wheel guy and I'm happiest when I'm riding. The actual bike I'm riding isn't all that important as long as I'm riding. Ducatisti are known for sinking large amounts of after-market money into their bikes to individualize them, mine's still mostly stock. And buying something like a Termi system just so I can say I have it? Where did that come from? I will test ride a bike with the system and we'll see what happens. FWIW, the termi systems also come with a performance chip that's far more tuneable than the stock chip. So, there is a sizeable performance gain along with the ability to remap the chip any time.

One last thing. You'll notice that I cut out all references to third parties in this response. If you respond to this, I hope you will do the same. I'm not even in the same state as these people you're talking about and I really don't want anything to do with this blood feud. I appreciate the time you took to reply and I understand your arguments. Like you, I choose to disagree for the reasons already stated. Ride safely and enjoy the new scoot!
Andy

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I created a separate post re: the warranty question.

topic942.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
toga28

Post by toga28 »

I got a call from a friend who works at the Atomic Brown Scooter Shop here in OKC yesterday, telling me I needed to come up to the shop and check out the new Prima pipe for the Buddy.

So, of course I went there straightaway, and indeed the pipe is quite beautiful. All chrome, machine-welded (the welds look amazing, so we're assuming it's machine-welded), slightly larger opening than stock. Overall it's probably about the same size as stock, but it's more of a oblong-shaped muffler than cylinder-shaped stock pipe. Didn't have the 200 bones to thrown down on one right then, but I did come home and look for stuff to sell on ebay...

I'm hoping to have it by late Feb or early March, and have plans to at least do a 1/4 mile comparison between stock and Prima, for all you number-hungry people out there.
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella
rajron

Post by rajron »

If your going to a track – they should have 60’ times and 1/8 mile times which might be more helpful. If you can get before and after (pipe) results we would all like to see them. I would take my scoot to the track but they shut our track down and it’s the only one in this area, nearest other track is out of state as far as I know. - Its all under snow now anyway.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

One thing I like to do is test trap speed at WOT over a fixed distance. If I'm considering a performance part for my scooter I'll compare trap speeds before and after the mod. I have 2 favorite stretches of road, one level and one uphill. I'll do a standing start at WOT and keep it pegged until I reach the end, which is usually marked by a road sign, big rock, whatever.

As I added mods to my old Aprilia, my trap speed would go up with each new mod. On a level run with my stock bike, I might hit 30 mph when I reached the sign. Once I added the custom exhaust, that speed rose to around 35 and when I added the cylinder head kit, it rose yet again. This is easy and safe to do alone. You can also use a stop watch but that's safer with 2 people. A GPS is even better.

Just pick a stretch of road where there are no surprises.
Andy

rajron

Post by rajron »

gt1000;

Would it be difficult for to start a data base? – maybe someone has that urge to capture this stuff.
We should agree on several things if we standardize we can compare
First and foremost it has to be safe and legal.

Things I can think of are:
Atmospheric conditions
Altitude
Weight (approximate)
Distance
Time
Speed, indicated or real
Scooter condition – stock, modifications etc

Right now our weather sucks, the only thing happening my scoot is a trickle charge but once the weather turns I will gladly contribute.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

So someone buy the damn thing and do a couple of dyno runs.
Simple as that and no more acting like 13 year olds.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Beamster wrote:So someone buy the damn thing and do a couple of dyno runs.
Word!
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Beamster wrote:So someone buy the damn thing and do a couple of dyno runs.
You did see that this is a 2year old thread that you are replying to?

Look for more threads on exhaust ... there has been plenty of them
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash