Buddy 125 will not start after oil change

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schneehexe

Buddy 125 will not start after oil change

Post by schneehexe »

Wondering if anyone out there can help me. My scooter has been stored in the garage all winter - took out the battery and kept it inside the house. When I reinstalled it, the scooter started right up. Then we changed the oil and filter and since doing that, it will not start. At first the engine would catch but if I tried to rev the accelerator, it would stall. Then it would not start at all. Tried to charge the battery but still no luck. Tried to put finger over air intake but also no go. Gas tank is nearly full with premium gas. Any ideas?
CiaoItalia

Post by CiaoItalia »

Has the tank sat with the same gas in it all winter? Did you add any stabilizer to that gas? Did you have the battery on a tender or charger when you were keeping it "inside the house"? These would be helpful bits-o-info to have.
schneehexe

Post by schneehexe »

Yes - same gas all winter (since November). I think I may have added stabilizer ... but honestly can't remember.

The battery was not hooked up to anything. It seemed to have plenty of charge when I first started it up again - but I did not drive anywhere - just turned it off again after a few minutes of idling in order to change the oil.

When it wouldn't start after the oil change, I hooked it up to a car battery (car not on) and left it for a couple of hours. When I tried to restart, it sounded like there was more juice, but it just isn't catching. I've thought about trying to roll down my driveway (downhill) to see if it will get going, but I'm hesitatant to have to push it all the way back up if it doesn't work!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The fuel lines or carb is clogged with bad gas. You'll need to keep trying to start the bike with electric start or kick start and gun the throttle right away. If you can time it right after several tries, the scooter will rev to such high RPM's at start up and it will force the clog out. Same thing happened to my dad's bike.

Afterwards it ran 100% fine.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Sounds like the idle jet is plugged, starting the scooter with bad gas can actually plug it worse on occasion
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Do you try kick starting? Try kicking it a few times with key off then kick and give it some gas with key on.

Can over filling it w/oil do this?
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
schneehexe

buddy 125 will not start after oil change

Post by schneehexe »

Hmmm ... so how to unblock the fuel line, if that is it?

Also, I tried to kick start but I don't seem to have the knack. Hints?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Skootz Kabootz

Re: buddy 125 will not start after oil change

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

schneehexe wrote:Hmmm ... so how to unblock the fuel line, if that is it?

Also, I tried to kick start but I don't seem to have the knack. Hints?

Thanks for the suggestions.
I had a tough time getting the hang of kick starting too. After unsuccessfully trying for ages one night, a motorcycle rider took pity on me and came over and nailed it in about four kicks. Boy did I feel like a weenie :roll: Anyways, he just gave it three or four kicks in quick succession and that was that. After seeing him do it that once, I have been able to do it myself ever since.

There is a thread about kick starting around here somewhere if you do a search...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ScooterNews

Post by ScooterNews »

I would guess dirty carb or pinched fuel line.
www.scooter-news.com

cheers,

Ryan Carden
Editor/Contributor - Scooter-News.com
schneehexe

thanks for the help

Post by schneehexe »

Well, still no luck, three days later. There definitely seems to be something going on with the battery because it sounds weaker and weaker as we try to start multiple times.

Also checked the spark plug - which seems to be okay. Cleaned it up anyhow.

It is only one year old, about 1K miles. Getting pretty frustrated, although it is probably going to snow here this weekend anyhow ...

We'll check the carb and take a look at the fuel line to see if we can detect anything visually, but running out of homemade options here and may have to break down and take it to a shop.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
scoot50

Post by scoot50 »

I have a buddy 50 that I store in a shed all winter with the battery installed (4 months, no tender). I always use gasoline stabilizer. In the spring it will start the first time but only run a few seconds. Then it will not start. I remove the air filter cover and squirt some gas in the carb. After that it starts and runs fine.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You said it is possible you might have added fuel stabilizer last winter, did you run the engine and ride a few miles with the stabilizer inside of the fuel? If not, stabilizer inside a gas tank is no help at all.
echochamber

Re: thanks for the help

Post by echochamber »

schneehexe wrote:There definitely seems to be something going on with the battery because it sounds weaker and weaker as we try to start multiple times.
Could be the battery is giving up the ghost. Sounds like the starter is pulling so much current, there isn't enough juice for the spark plug.

Try charging the battery again. Buddy (and most bikes) uses a 7aH battery, so you don't want to use a charger >1amp.

Oh, some batteries are born weak and die young, esp. if they are left sitting all winter. It happens, not often but it does happen. It's sad, move on.

\e
skootergurl

Post by skootergurl »

try a little seafoam in the gas tank too if your carb isn't too plugged up it could help!
says the vet "your dogs a problem child"
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

It's only logical that the battery would be getting weaker. Each unsuccessful attempt to start the scooter draws current through it and lessens its remaining charge, and without a running engine, there's no way for it to recharge. It's exactly the same thing as having a car that won't start. The more you keep cranking the starter, the more you drain the battery.

Try this:

1) Recharge the battery.

2) Try to start the engine a few times. If it starts, then my guess was either wrong, or the blockage in the carb worked it's way out.

3) If it doesn't start, pull the spark plug immediately. If it's dry as a bone, then you're not getting any fuel, and it's a clog. If it's wet with gas, or if you get a strong smell of gas at the exhaust, then my guess is once again incorrect.

My money's on the carb.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

I'm having similar problems. It won't start when it's cold. I've pulled the plug and it reeks of gasoline. If I pull of the air filter (just to start it) I can get it to start and it will run rough until it warms up. After that it runs great.

4600 miles on it - time for a new air filter?
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

when my lawn mower wont start I spray some sarting fluid in the spark plug hole and reinstall the plug and starts right up just a thought