New here...50 cc?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GearGirl

New here...50 cc?

Post by GearGirl »

Is anyone happy with the 50cc? I'm really leaning in the direction of a 50, for price and ease. I'm completely new to scootering, and it just seems more manageable to me! I will be riding about 2 miles each way to work, one slow incline about 30 mph, but very wide lane at the side of the road I think I am permitted to ride in. I also have one hill, steep but short, leading to my house. There is never any traffic on it to contend with, so no need to go fast. I've read everything about going higher, but I'm still leaning in the direction of a 50 because I don't want the speed. I have a road bicycle, and even on that I don't love going fast, so I'm really doubting my need for speed, LOL. So, is it possible to be happy with 50cc? I'm looking at a Buddy International, 2009 50cc for $500 off retail, so a really good price! I'm signed up for the motorcycle safety course next week, and thinking of making my purchase after that!
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

You can always sell it and buy a bigger one next year right?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Many people are perfectly happy with the 50cc bikes. If you don't need to go faster than 35-40, they work great.

A few things to think about when making up your mind though:

What speed are the roads rated at? If the speed limit is 35, chances are that drivers will be going 40-45.

The lane on the side of the road you mentioned. If that is a bike lane, or the shoulder in most states you CANNOT ride there. Legally you are required to follow the same rules as cars are in every respect. If you can't drive a car there, then a scooter can't go there either.

If you do need some more speed, you can always either install some performance parts, or upgrade to a bigger bike.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

If you want a 50 and are not concerned about speed that is what you should buy. Lots of people here will tell you why you should buy a 125, but if you're happy with the slower 50cc and are comfortable with that in your riding area, that's what you should buy. The only thing I would remind you is that a 125 will also go slow. 8)
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

i rode a 50 for 2 years before i upgraded, and i was completely happy (until i rode the blur of course. got back on my vespa and said WTF???)
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

My wife and I have been riding 50cc bikes (2005 Honda Metropolitan & Ruckus) for three years until upgrading to Buddys this month. A few things to keep in mind:

According to the Genuine literature, their 50cc bikes are "restricted" and top speed is 30mph. I don't know if this is a legal thing but ours get up around 37mph. Someone more familiar with the 50cc Buddy can speak to whether this is an actual restriction (and how easy it is to circumvent) but if you plan to ride on a road with traffic you might want to try out the Metropolitan too.

Speaking of legal things: in some states, 50cc or less have different legal restrictions, which makes them a nice starter bike. Part of the appeal to us was that in PA, you didn't need a motorcycle license, so it let us get our feet wet before investing a lot of time and effort in getting legal for a big bike.

Anyway, all that said, we used our bikes regularly to commute through the city (25-35 mph roads) and were pretty darn happy for years. If money were no object I'd keep the little guys around for quick local trips.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

beeporama wrote:My wife and I have been riding 50cc bikes (2005 Honda Metropolitan & Ruckus) for three years until upgrading to Buddys this month. A few things to keep in mind:

According to the Genuine literature, their 50cc bikes are "restricted" and top speed is 30mph. I don't know if this is a legal thing but ours get up around 37mph. Someone more familiar with the 50cc Buddy can speak to whether this is an actual restriction (and how easy it is to circumvent) but if you plan to ride on a road with traffic you might want to try out the Metropolitan too.

Speaking of legal things: in some states, 50cc or less have different legal restrictions, which makes them a nice starter bike. Part of the appeal to us was that in PA, you didn't need a motorcycle license, so it let us get our feet wet before investing a lot of time and effort in getting legal for a big bike.

Anyway, all that said, we used our bikes regularly to commute through the city (25-35 mph roads) and were pretty darn happy for years. If money were no object I'd keep the little guys around for quick local trips.
The 50cc Buddy is actually physically restricted, but the restrictions are VERY easy to remove. Your dealer should be able to do it for you in 1/2 an hour.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You'll be riding a motorcycle at the MSF next week, I'd see what you like after that, you might be jumping onto a 125 or 150 after riding a real motorcycle.

For me, I'd say if 50cc can fit your needs, then go for it. But I always tell people if they will be using the bike for other things also, and they need more speed for those roads/hills, get a 125 or higher.

There are plenty of members on this forum happy with their 50cc bikes, most get them de-restricted so they can hit 40+ mph for hills and keeping up with traffic.

But at the same time, there are people who rushed into a 50cc because they were lazy to get plates, insurance, and a license, you then see "what mods can I do to make my 50cc bike go 60MPH?" A list of mods from scooterworks you can use to make a 50cc faster will cost more than a stock 125, and a stock 125 will still beat it.

Find what size of engine on a bike is right for you, dont buy something because it is cheap, make sure the bike will fit your area and if it does, go get it!
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

I think you will either LOVE scootering and wish you had 125+ cc engine, or you will decide you really don't care for it that much, in which case you will eventually have a slightly harder time selling your used scooter to someone trying to make the decision you are now. You can drive a fast scooter as slow as you want, the reverse is not true. [/i]
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Kaos wrote: The 50cc Buddy is actually physically restricted, but the restrictions are VERY easy to remove. Your dealer should be able to do it for you in 1/2 an hour.
The 50cc Buddy and numerous other 50cc scoots are restricted in order to qualify for the so called "moped exemption" which waives the requirement for a motorcycle license endorsement and waives insurance requirements in many states. Derestricting the 50cc means that it no longer qualifies for the exemptions. (course I would also ask why anyone wants to ride a scoot without rider training and insurance, but don't get me started)
GearGirl

Post by GearGirl »

Thanks everyone, you make good points. From what I can tell you still need a M1 license in CA for a 50 cc, so no difference there. It makes sense though that I might either love it and want more power, or not like it and have a harder time selling the 50.

My main question now is, since I can always ride the 150 at slower speeds, why is it more difficult than a 50 to handle? I read a post where someone learned on a 5o, and then said they were going to have to take some time to figure out the 150. Are they just as easy at lower speeds, or are there some differences?

Also, do the smaller tires on the Buddy vs some other brands maki it harder to ride?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Whoever is saying such things is obviously wrong. Both bikes are 100% the same to handle, just the engine size is different. Really any scooter or motorcycle will have similar basic handling, but each bike has different engine cc's.

You're going to learn to ride a full sized bike has the capability to hit 100+mph but you wont ever use those speeds on a bike like that. Similar for a scooter, you can hit 60+ on a 125/150, but the majority of people never do hit those speeds, most people ride in city where speeds are 30-40mph. Most people who ride 60+ all the time usually take those high speed roads to work daily, or go places regularly that require those speeds.

It's nice to have the power in case you need it sometime, you wouldnt want to be on a 50mph country road going 35mph max.

I can guarantee you'll probably ride a 250cc motorcycle or larger cc's in your MSF class, when you ride a bike with that much power, 125cc is nothing. Although 125cc is still powerful and fast, what I am saying is, you'll find that the "scary 250cc beast" is nothing, a 125 or 150cc scooter isnt scary at all then.

The smaller tires make it EASIER to ride actually. You can corner and turn on a dime compared to bikes with larger wheels. Any bike can turn on a dime, but it's the effort it takes, a bike with larger and fatter wheels will require more leaning. It's natural, so nothing to really worry about, you just turn like magic.

The major difference between large and small wheels is stability. Large wheels are more stable at higher speeds, but less on slow speeds. Small wheels are stable at low speeds (speeds you will most likely be traveling on your scooter), but less stable on high speeds. Also bumps, a small tire hitting a bump vs a large tire, there is a difference, you'll feel it harder on the small tire.
Last edited by jfrost2 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

GearGirl wrote:Thanks everyone, you make good points. From what I can tell you still need a M1 license in CA for a 50 cc, so no difference there. It makes sense though that I might either love it and want more power, or not like it and have a harder time selling the 50.

My main question now is, since I can always ride the 150 at slower speeds, why is it more difficult than a 50 to handle? I read a post where someone learned on a 5o, and then said they were going to have to take some time to figure out the 150. Are they just as easy at lower speeds, or are there some differences?

Also, do the smaller tires on the Buddy vs some other brands maki it harder to ride?
I do not agree that the 50cc Buddy is, in any sense, easier to ride than a 125/150 Buddy. They are the same size, approximately the same weight, have the same steering geometry, etc. The only real difference is that you have more power if you twist the throttle of the 125/150 further. The 2T engine of the 50 will typically have a shorter life than the 4T engine of the 125/150 and the 50 requires periodically refilling the 2T oil reservoir. There are few other differences between the two scoots.

Regarding the 10 inch tires, I would say that makes the Buddy easier to handle and more manuvuerable at lower speeds. Some argue that larger wheels provide more stability at high speeds, but even that also depends on weight, suspension, steering geometry and other factors as well.

As others have said, if you are sure that a 50 meets your needs, then thats great. This site is filled, though, with postings by people who have decided later to step up to a 125/150. You can always ride a 125 like a 50, you can't ride a 50 like a 125.
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

GearGirl wrote:My main question now is, since I can always ride the 150 at slower speeds, why is it more difficult than a 50 to handle? I read a post where someone learned on a 5o, and then said they were going to have to take some time to figure out the 150. Are they just as easy at lower speeds, or are there some differences?
As someone making the jump right now, I wouldn't say "more difficult"; but the bigger bike is heavier, balance is slightly different, and it reacts to opening the throttle a little differently. Not really a big deal but it might take a couple of rides to get used to after three years on the little bike. Maybe by "take some time" the poster just meant a couple of hours?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Once when I was at my dealer getting my oil changed for the first service, there was a guy who hopped off his buddy, it was a 50cc, he said he got it as a birthday present and rode it for a week, he said it wasnt enough for him to keep up with city traffic even. He ended up getting a 125. Speeds in the city were only 30-40mph max, no 50 anywhere. People will always drive 5-10 mph faster than the limit says to.
beeporama wrote:
GearGirl wrote:My main question now is, since I can always ride the 150 at slower speeds, why is it more difficult than a 50 to handle? I read a post where someone learned on a 5o, and then said they were going to have to take some time to figure out the 150. Are they just as easy at lower speeds, or are there some differences?
As someone making the jump right now, I wouldn't say "more difficult"; but the bigger bike is heavier, balance is slightly different, and it reacts to opening the throttle a little differently. Not really a big deal but it might take a couple of rides to get used to after three years on the little bike. Maybe by "take some time" the poster just meant a couple of hours?
I'm sorry but this is false. I see no way how the 50cc and 125/150 are in any way MAJORLY different in weight and balance. Both bikes use the same frame, plastic panels, electric system, etc, the only difference is the engine, and both engines are of similar weight. No way does a pound or two make a major difference that requires years of practice and learning to ride.

The only difference from stepping up from a 50cc to a 125/150 would be throttle, you can accelerate faster, thats about it.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

the only reason i started with a 50 is because my wife had one, and did not have plans to upgrade, and i wanted to ride with her. since she is now pregnant it is going to be a little while before she can ride, so we just bought the one bigger bike for now...

i am pretty sure i could have started with a bigger bike, but i actually enjoyed starting off with a 50. except when i started commuting with it. my 50 minute ride turned into an hour and 50 minutes due to back roads and speed.
DIPA

Post by DIPA »

I think it also comes down to safety...

If you are riding 40 mph roads and pushing your 50cc, you should do fine at keeping up. But if you ever need that extra power to get out of the way, a 125 or higher will allow that extra throttle room. And as stated already, it's nice to have the ability to go on faster roads if you want to after having more riding experience.

I bought a 150cc as my 1st bike and have no regrets!
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

jfrost2 wrote:
beeporama wrote:
I'm sorry but this is false. I see no way how the 50cc and 125/150 are in any way MAJORLY different in weight and balance. Both bikes use the same frame, plastic panels, electric system, etc, the only difference is the engine, and both engines are of similar weight. No way does a pound or two make a major difference that requires years of practice and learning to ride.
Sorry, my reply wasn't useful, at least not without reference to my earlier post... I'm coming from a Honda Ruckus, not a Buddy 50, so the difference is a little more pronounced. Either way, "different" definitely does not mean "worse."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hi, GearGirl, welcome to the forum!

When I bought my first scooter, I thought I'd never ride over 40mph, never with a passenger, just for errands and to work occasionally. Boy was I wrong.

You think you know how you're going to ride it, how far, how fast. But it gets under your skin. You soon realize you want to ride it farther. You want to ride it everywhere, all the time. You want to ride it as far as you can, all day, everywhere. You want to take a trip on your scooter. You want to ride in a club, or a group, with new scooter friends you meet.

If you can afford the 125 or 150, I'd say go for that. I've never heard a Buddy buyer say they regret getting the bigger scooter. Sure, many are happy on 50's, but we all adapt to what we own. The larger scooter offers more freedom to decide how and where you want to ride.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

I've found that a good test is to try driving your car at the speed you'll be riding your scooter. If people behind you are stacking up and getting annoyed, the road is probably not for you.

I use this to test out whether certain roads will be okay for my Rattler by riding at about 50 mph or less. You could try the same thing by driving around your area at no more than 35 mph and see how it goes.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Scalpel wrote:... a good test is to try driving your car at the speed you'll be riding your scooter. If people behind you are stacking up and getting annoyed...
That's a really good idea. :idea:

One comment about speed/power... having the ability to ride at 65mph does not mean you have to. But having the power in your pocket to accelerate from 35 mph to 65mph to escape a dangerous situation could save you.

Something to consider.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

+1
TVB

Post by TVB »

Consider what you're buying it for. Until recently I've been a bicycle commuter, but my new job requires me to be able to run errands around town during the day, usually without advance notice. Plus I don't have a convenient place to cool off and change after pedaling to work. (The previous job was half the distance and mostly downhill to work, and the one before that had an onsite shower!) So being able to go "only" 30-40mph in local traffic hardly seems like a handicap to me.

Besides, I have no interest whatsoever in riding the expressway on two wheels without a cage (and airbags) around me. I may not be a 20mph octogenarian driver yet, but at 44 I admittedly don't have the reaction speed or the healing powers of a 16-year-old anymore, so a derestricted 50cc is plenty fast for me.

On the other hand, if you're buying it to replace a car that you're used to driving at 70mph, you might find a 50cc scoot underpowered. Or if you're looking for a machine for zipping around the countryside, it might not give you the speed thrill you're looking for.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Kaos wrote:The 50cc Buddy is actually physically restricted, but the restrictions are VERY easy to remove. Your dealer should be able to do it for you in 1/2 an hour.
And you might be able to get him to do it free of charge at the time of sale.
GearGirl

Post by GearGirl »

I'm leaning in the direction of the 150, it seems to make more sense, but I am waiting until the motorcycle class to fully decide. I sat on my first scooter in the showroom today, a Vespa. I can't wait to see the Buddy!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I got a 50cc Honda Met. only because a friend of my son's was selling it, My som said he'd like to be able to use it for to anf fro whatever teens need a vehicle for. I started riding it and had a blast! I now have a Buddy 150 because the 50cc was underpowered for the roads where I ride, I was taking an out of the was back roads kind of route to work on the 50... The 150 has given me the freedom to 'joy ride' more cause I can get in and out of places easier. I can go slow on the Buddy 150 but I can't go fast on the 50cc BUT they're BOTH fun!!
I upgraded because I could, not because I needed to.... I have NO need to go fast but fun is fun...!!!

Thats really why I ride, after a BAD day at work, the ride home was an unwind period for me, I'd get home happy!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

In some states the restriction is all about the speed. If you're going over 30mph in CT you better have tags on it or you can get a ticket. Doesn't matter if it's 1cc.
EZPZ #65
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

hehe yeah i remember seeing cops and slowing down so i was doing 25-30 on my 49cc.

although on more than one occasion, i had off duty cops stop at the pump and ask questions about what was legal and what was not lol, they had no clue.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Most don't have a clue because they don't encounter enough of them during their career, but they still have citation books! I have a feeling that with the recent popularity of scooters that more cops will become familiar with the local regulations.
EZPZ #65
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

fs8gbe wrote:although on more than one occasion, i had off duty cops stop at the pump and ask questions about what was legal and what was not lol, they had no clue.
I had a similar issue with the confusing laws. After a year, I got a notice from my insurance company that they were canceling my policy because I'd failed to get a motorcycle license (which is not required in PA for under 50cc). It took a bit of sorting. In hindsight, I should have just gotten the M license whether I needed it or not.
adameg
Dealer

Re: New here...50 cc?

Post by adameg »

GearGirl wrote:Is anyone happy with the 50cc? I'm really leaning in the direction of a 50, for price and ease.
If it's about price, then by all means....but as far as ease, it's easier to ride a scooter with more power. The better the throttle responds, the easier the bike is to control. Most 150cc scooters aren't much heavier than the 50cc scooters, so weight shouldn't really ever come in to play. If you can stretch your budget a bit, invest in something bigger. You will not regret it.
Eco Moto
887 W. Peachtree St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30308
adam@gogoecomoto.com
PeterC

50cc

Post by PeterC »

Some 50cc scooters get better results with de-restriction others. A couple of years ago, I had a Kymco People 50 that would hit 50 mph. In fact, several times the throttle stuck and it required hitting the kill switch to go below 50!
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

DIPA wrote:I think it also comes down to safety...

But if you ever need that extra power to get out of the way, a 125 or higher will allow that extra throttle room.
I hear this a lot and am a bit bothered by it - not meaning to pick on you, DIPA, it's an oft-quoted idea.

I've only ridden Daisy (50cc) for a year and a month, but I have to say - the potentially dangerous situations that arise where it's preferable (read: safer) to speed up rather than slow down are extremely minimal.

If someone's keeping pace to keep me in their blind spot, I slow down. If someone's riding my tail, I'll pull over (happens surprisingly seldom). If someone is pulling out of a driveway up ahead and I'm not sure if they see me, there's NO WAY I'm going to speed up and try to "slip by." If someone makes that left turn in front of you, you're not likely to have time to do either (trust me - it was true for me on a bicycle at 15mph, it's likely to be true at 35-40), but if you get to do one, I think you'll brake.

You get an average of 1.9 seconds to do something about it, according to the Hurt report. Reaction time is between 1.0 and 2.0 seconds - leaving you .9 to 0.0 seconds to actually complete your response. Just what kind of acceleration do those 125s have, anyway? If your evasion includes a change in direction, take away more time for counter steering to take effect.

I can definitely see the danger inherent in a 50 if you ride in very hilly terrain. But mostly, I don't buy the "I need more power to be safe" argument unless it's in regard to the traffic on the roads you will be riding, and not any sort of reaction-based evasions you plan on making.
rablack

Post by rablack »

My derestricted (by the dealer) 50cc is fine for 35mph streets I can hit ~45 indicated (after a while with no headwind). I live in Houston which is dead flat. I'm no speed demon but I still run wide open all the time simply to keep up with traffic and I often find myself trying to twist the already maxed throttle.

I've pondered adding some mods but the cost for the 50cc plus mods would equal or exceed what I would have paid for a 125cc (and I don't need another hobby). I'm leaving it stock for when my son gets old enough to ride, then I'll upgrade.

Get the bigger engine, you won't regret it.
Scooterist, lawyer, double bassist www.traveler-music.com
TVB

Post by TVB »

Quo Vadimus wrote:I can definitely see the danger inherent in a 50 if you ride in very hilly terrain. But mostly, I don't buy the "I need more power to be safe" argument unless it's in regard to the traffic on the roads you will be riding, and not any sort of reaction-based evasions you plan on making.
Yeah, moving more slowly gives you more time to react to things ahead of you, and it gives you less inertia to overcome when you do react (whether it's to stop or evade). And if you do hit something (including the ground), the force with which you hit it is directly proportional to your speed. This is all Physics 101 material. While it's true that a bigger engine doesn't require you to go faster, Psych 101 suggests that most people will. :)
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

i love my 50,my only suggestion is to get it de-regulated.i rode about 2 months regulated just to get used to the scoot and then got it deregulated,it is much faster picking up speed and holds speed much better going up hills.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I have a 50cc Honda, well it is really my daughter's, and a 150 Buddy. After you finish the course, let me know and I'll let you try them both. Northern California is a big place. How far are you from Concord?

You really should forget these tiny scoots and just buy my Vespa 250. Sorry, shameless plug. It will be for sale soon.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

TVB wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:I can definitely see the danger inherent in a 50 if you ride in very hilly terrain. But mostly, I don't buy the "I need more power to be safe" argument unless it's in regard to the traffic on the roads you will be riding, and not any sort of reaction-based evasions you plan on making.
Yeah, moving more slowly gives you more time to react to things ahead of you, and it gives you less inertia to overcome when you do react (whether it's to stop or evade). And if you do hit something (including the ground), the force with which you hit it is directly proportional to your speed. This is all Physics 101 material. While it's true that a bigger engine doesn't require you to go faster, Psych 101 suggests that most people will. :)
Also you cant forget moving more slowly in hilly terrain causes you to not be seen as easily because the hills are blocking you from drivers view, a SUV going 40MPH over a hill wont see you going 20mph up the next one, the only time he'll see you is when you're pancaked.
TVB

Post by TVB »

jfrost2 wrote:Also you cant forget moving more slowly in hilly terrain causes you to not be seen as easily because the hills are blocking you from drivers view, a SUV going 40MPH over a hill wont see you going 20mph up the next one, the only time he'll see you is when you're pancaked.
Right, because SUV drivers close their eyes when they go down hills, and won't see you as they approach. :roll:
Last edited by TVB on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Anyone who grew up near Amish country knows the danger of slow traffic over the crest of a hill - that's why I mentioned the hill caveat in my preaching. :)

If the back end of that hill declines much at all, the buggy disappears. Then along comes you, 55mph speed limit... (and for all you city folk out there, yes, they usually drive on the right side of the road).

Even though a 50 is faster than a buggy, it's shorter. Not to mention the van behind you still has to peel off quite a bit of speed if you came over the hill at 30-35 and he's following at 55-60. I try to rely as little as possible on the other guy's intelligence, awareness, and prudence; these hilly situations *can* be entirely dependent on those things. Not often, but can be.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I drew a picture for those who wont believe me. I did this in 2 seconds in paint because I cant be bothered drawing something fancy in photoshop.

With the speed limit of 40MPH, and a SUV is climbing the hill at 40MPH, it will increase speed when going down the hill, while the scooter is traveling at 20MPH trying to climb the hill with all it's might, that SUV isnt going to stop in time. Physically, he cannot see you, all he can see is the hill, while going down, it's too late once he notices you.
Attachments
Pancakes, not so good.
Pancakes, not so good.
Untitled.jpg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
TVB

Post by TVB »

jfrost2 wrote:Physically, he cannot see you, all he can see is the hill, while going down, it's too late once he notices you.
If it's "too late" for him to avoid hitting that scooter once he crests the hill and and can see it, he was going way faster than 40mph. When the SUV crests the hill, he has an excellent view of the entire valley ahead of him. He can see the scooter... hell, it'd be right in his line of sight as he comes over the top. Assuming he has working brakes and the sense that God gave a turnip, he can apply those brakes all the way down, and once he starts up the other side, he'll also have gravity helping him slow down. Only a grossly negligent SUV driver would be likely to plow into the scooter in this scenario, and while I question their judgment in buying such beasts to begin with, I haven't found most of them to be quite that bad at driving them.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

My 50 came from the dealer with the prima pipe, changed rollers & jets... so I never road it stock. (the kit from scooterworks that you can get for a buddy 50)
I am not small... 6' / 210lbs & mine does 47mph
It gets me around town great (what I bought it for) even with lots of hills - but I am almost never on streets with more than a 30mph speed limit.
I have said this in posts before, a 50 can be a GREAT fit for a LOT of people, just make sure you have a good understing of where you plan (and want) to ride it - Have fun!
Roose Hurro

Location, location, location...

Post by Roose Hurro »

I have to agree with those who mention it's where you ride. In my area, the roads max at 45 mph right outside my neighborhood. A 50cc would be maxed all the time on those roads. So, I'm looking at a minimum of 125cc, (60-65mph capable) for when my time and finances finally come together. Though SYM is coming out with a Honda Cub clone with a 110cc engine (the SYMba)... I'll be adding that to my list of scoots to consider.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

I have a 50 and for the most part it does what I need it to do .... 95% or more of riding on 30 mph streets. Most riding is under 8 miles. What I really notice is wind. It can make it tough to get much over 30. So yeah ... at times I wish I would have went with the 125/150. Do I need it ... no. Then again if I had the bigger one I would probably take it out of town on longer rides. Soooo there you go .... it all depends on how you plan to use it.
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash