Is the Stella really that great?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rmnovels

Is the Stella really that great?

Post by rmnovels »

I'm about to make a new scooter purchase, and I'm considering the Stella for it's classic style, great orange color, and I must admit--a nostalgia factor, being I'm from Chicago. Anyway, with the shifting, the adding of oil, and the limited storage space, is it really as great a purchase as I've heard. A dealer who rides one, says occasional tinkering might be required. The changing of a spark plug or two.
Does anyone actually get sick of the shifting, or the extra work?

Thanks.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSVMU4D_sw

Note that this is a Px150 in the video, the bike is nearly 100% the same as the stella, since the stella is actually a copy of it made in India.

Although I dont own, one, I really like the shape of the stella too, it's true that you will need to do some tinkering, not just spark plugs, but cables too, it's always good to have a extra set of cables and maybe a little tool kit with you.

If you're not sure if you can do these small fixes and tinkering yourself, you might want to consider a buddy 125/150, I originally wanted a stella, but when the buddy came out, it was really nice looking and exciting to sit on one unlike other scooter's I've seen.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

When I first started looking at scooters 6 months ago, I was dead set on a Stella or PX150 due to the classic styling and shifting and just the overall history of them. However, once I really got to looking, and sitting on scoots and test riding them, I decided I liked the more modern scoots, even with the CVT.

You can't deny the Stella's and Vespa PX series are down right classics, but I just decided I wanted more modern amenities, under seat storage, bigger wheels, etc. I still would like to throw one in my garage and see how well I adapt to it. We'll see, maybe one day?

BTW, I come from a background where all my vehicles are manual trans and all my motorcycles obviously shift and I just wanted no part of a CVT tranny. Now that I own the 2 Genuine Blur's. I love them and the CVT is actually a nice break from the shifting everyday on the other bikes, especially since I use them more in town where I normally would be shifting all the time.

My fiance owns the Buddy 125, and its a fine scoot and still holds that classic look.

Anyway you look at it, any scoot is going to be a blast no matter what you decide on.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
scooterbill
Dealer

Stella

Post by scooterbill »

You should check out our Decatur store, talk to Steve about the Stella or any Genuine scooter product. We currently have a red Stella with a sidecar in our showroom. Thanks!
Attachments
Twist–logo.jpg
Twist–logo.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

The Stella is a great scooter, but it is definitely a commitment.

I started with an '07 Buddy and then bought a Stella last June. I ended up selling the Buddy, but the Buddy did require much less attention.

The Buddy rode better, was nimbler and faster.

But the lure of an old school two stroke shifter was too much to resist.

And I like to get my hands dirty occasionally.

The Stella definitely requires you to get your hands dirty once in a while.
TXscoot

Re: Is the Stella really that great?

Post by TXscoot »

I bought a Stella last summer and really enjoy it. I come from a motorcycle background so shifting was nothing new. Still, shifting on the stella took some getting used to because of the strain on my wrist. Maybe it's just me but it is a strange angle for my wrist when shifting. Also, until I got used to it, finding second gear sometimes was difficult. There seems to be a neutral gear between second and third that I found too many times.

I really like my Stella but I'm glad I also have a Buddy to ride when I just want to truly relax. Knowing what I know now, if I had to choose between a Stella and a Buddy - I would probably pick the Buddy and lust after the Stella. I don't know, maybe I'd buy the Stella anyway and look for a deal on a used buddy.

At the end of the day, there is nothing like owning and riding a Stella. It's like the old saying -"If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand".
Steady Teddy

Post by Steady Teddy »

I think for a 1st time scooter purchase, a bullet proof automatic can be a wise choice. Get the feel of scootering in your blood then decide if ya want to go that next step and get an old school scooter. I currently have both types and find that it is fun to be able to choose what kind of ride I want to go on by deciding which scooter to ride for the day. For busy days that include errands and hauling junk around, the auto is nice because it is effortless easy to deal with. But when we ride for fun or with friends, the PX150 is always the choice, cuz it sounds cool and my friends love it when I pop a wheelie!

Always a crowd pleaser to be sure...

Have fun either way and welcome to the club!

Ted
stickykitteh

Post by stickykitteh »

there's a lot more work with the stella than just spark plugs. you'll need to replace tires and cables. a lot. and it will break down on you and leave you stranded, crawling in the mud, in the pouring rain. so if you don't want to work on your scoot a lot, or if it needs to be your prime mode of transportation, or for a first scoot, i'd say maybe not the right one for you, although they are adorable and awesome. *want*
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

It's all pretty good advice, but Steady Teddy put it best. For a first scoot, a modern, CVT scooter is a good choice. An even better choice is one of quality (Buddy, Kymco, perhaps Sym). That way, you can learn the important rules of safety, get comfortable in traffic, and learn just how much fun it is. Then, in perhaps a year or two you can consider getting a shifty scoot. I have both, and they are both fantastic. The shifty is my favorite, but the CVT is just start it and go. Both are pretty reliable, but the shifty requires all the things listed in this thread, and a little more. It begs to be customized, ridden all the time, and washed. I would be hard pressed to choose between them, so buying right is important. Buy slightly used for the CVT and well-cared for for the shifty and you can't go wrong. Good luck with your decisions and safe riding!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

bluelghtning wrote:When I first started looking at scooters 6 months ago, I was dead set on a Stella or PX150 due to the classic styling and shifting and just the overall history of them. However, once I really got to looking, and sitting on scoots and test riding them, I decided I liked the more modern scoots, even with the CVT.

You can't deny the Stella's and Vespa PX series are down right classics, but I just decided I wanted more modern amenities, under seat storage, bigger wheels, etc. I still would like to throw one in my garage and see how well I adapt to it. We'll see, maybe one day?

BTW, I come from a background where all my vehicles are manual trans and all my motorcycles obviously shift and I just wanted no part of a CVT tranny. Now that I own the 2 Genuine Blur's. I love them and the CVT is actually a nice break from the shifting everyday on the other bikes, especially since I use them more in town where I normally would be shifting all the time.

My fiance owns the Buddy 125, and its a fine scoot and still holds that classic look.

Anyway you look at it, any scoot is going to be a blast no matter what you decide on.
exactly how my boyfriend feels about the cvt and not having to shift lol
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

i never buy anything new
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

gearhead wrote:i never buy anything new

why so?
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

because you can buy things for cheaper used!
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

GEARHEAD...are you sure you're not a clone of my bf, because it really seems like you and him are alike, he hates the fact that i get things new, like my scooter and amongst other things...

this is odd :shock:
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

yes.. my name is jed. i am your bf :lol:
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

gearhead wrote:yes.. my name is jed. i am your bf :lol:

OMG! JED, you are crazy, i knew it! i kept seeing your posts on other things and was thinking to myself that this person reminds me so much of you.

im gonna punch you now :wink:
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

I hope you buy your food new. Used food is really terrible!
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
monza

Post by monza »

gearhead wrote:because you can buy things for cheaper used!
+++1 on that brutha....let someone elses loss be your gain :D

I once bought a Saab that cost $45k new for $19k and I had more warrantee than the sucka that bought it new.
-Paul O.
63 VNB "125 Super"
62 Mini Cooper 1100
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

monza wrote:
gearhead wrote:because you can buy things for cheaper used!
+++1 on that brutha....let someone elses loss be your gain :D

I once bought a Saab that cost $45k new for $19k and I had more warrantee than the sucka that bought it new.
monza... i like the way you think my man. if i bought a motorcycle new everytime, i wouldnt be able to have 3. but then again, im only 19 so my bank acount is $0. :cry:
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Kurt wrote:
I hope you buy your food new. Used food is really terrible!
well, we're talking about non-perishable items :D