Sidecar laws

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

solo_movement

Sidecar laws

Post by solo_movement »

I'm considering a sidecar and wonder if anyone knows if there are age requirements for children as sidecar passengers.

Helmet laws? Safety seat laws?

I would definitely add a seatbelt.

Any knowledge is appreciated.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Sidecars are not for the faint of heart. They require a whole different riding-style (almost driving), are prone to tipping on right turns and will fight you every inch of the way (even when properly installed) and wear-out tires fast.

If you're still game they have their good points: carry more people, great for trips to the grocery store plus you'll make a ton of new friends as EVERYONE will come up to you and talk about it.

As far as kids go I know one guy who put in a 5 pt racing harness for his son (at least the kid wont be launched in even of a collision). My biggest fear would be getting hit by a cager when there is about 1/3" of sheet metal between your kid and the car.

I'd check the DMV's website in your state for laws. (Oddly enough a three-wheeled rig is considered a car in some states and a cycle in others.)
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

Here in NY a sidecar is considered a motorcycle, so the requirements are the same. No seatbelt, passenger and driver need helmets and eye protection. No age minimum for passenger (but the DOT helmet has to fit!)
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

that's badass... get a sidecar! :D how much are you picking one up for?